Shaving Creme Marbling

Old August 21st 05, 09:38 PM
Maureen Wozniak

Default Shaving Creme Marbling

Oh, I've gotten myself into it now! About a year ago, I was taking a class
and as a bonus, the instructor showed us how to marble with shaving creme and
fabric paint.

Did I write down the instructions? No, because of course I'd remember how it
was done.

And then I volunteered to show how to do this at sewing guild next month. Of
course, now I can't remember exactly how to do it, but never mind, it can't
be that hard.

My friend and I gave it go on Wednesday, and it seemed to turn out okay.
Ironed everything to try and heat set it after the paint dried, and then
washed with syntropol like I do when I die. Lots and lots of it washed out.
So much so, that lots of the design washed out on several pieces.

Any body know how to do this? I need help (and more practice) between now
and next month.

Maureen

Old August 21st 05, 09:42 PM
Terbear

Here are the instructions from Jim Kankula from when he was on Simply
Quilts:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_fabrics_...396417,00.html

Teri

--
Terbear~Curator of the HUG Gallery~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/HUGS

Teri's quilts~
http://gallery.ppwp.com/gallery/Tquilts

lobal.net...

Old August 21st 05, 09:48 PM
Kate Dicey

Maureen Wozniak wrote:

[...]

Does this help?
http://community.webshots.com/album/45050297nTnSmN

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 21st 05, 10:11 PM
Patti

This group of amazing people has shown itself to be remarkable in every
way one could think of. BUT whoever would have thought that a subject
like this would have an immediate response! Plus another one!!
Seems like you're out of trouble, Maureen gg
..
In message uG5Oe.3895$ct5.792@fed1read04, Terbear
writes
Here are the instructions from Jim Kankula from when he was on Simply
Quilts:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_fabrics_...GTV_3390_13964
17,00.html

Teri

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 21st 05, 11:42 PM
Shirley Shone

I have tried the shaving foam on card to make greetings cards.
Fill a shallow tray with shaving foam, drop coloured inks on it and give
it a stir with a cocktail stick. Press the card onto the foam, lift off
and scrape the excess foam of with a spatula knife . Then dab with a
piece of kitchen roll and allow to dry.
Shirley

In message , Patti
writes
.

Old August 22nd 05, 04:13 AM
~Ann~

I did notice that you mentioned "paint" rather than "dyes"...might make
a difference..

Ann

Old August 22nd 05, 02:33 PM
Maureen Wozniak

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:42:00 -0500, Terbear wrote
(in article uG5Oe.3895$ct5.792@fed1read04):

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_fabrics_...390_1396417,00.

html

thanks

Old August 22nd 05, 02:36 PM
Maureen Wozniak

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 15:48:26 -0500, Kate Dicey wrote
(in article ):

http://community.webshots.com/album/45050297nTnSmN

great pictures, thanks!

Old August 22nd 05, 07:50 PM
Kay Roy

The newest "Quilter's World" October 2005 has a feature on this page 34-37
and a pattern to make starting on p38

My summary with my additions:

They say to use shaving cream & fabric inks, not paints
Squirt the shaving cream onto a disposable holder-pie tin picnic plate, even
a sheet of freezer paper
(the article doesn't say, but I suspect plain shaving cream, not menthol or
moisturizing, would be best
spread the shaving cream out about 1/2 inch thick then drop 1 drop of ink in
2 or three spots-all the same or different colors. Swirl it around until it
is streaky with something disposable (a toothpick, q-tip, or plastic fork
comes to mind).
Use a foam paintbrush to apply colored shaving cream to fabric. Stroking in
one direction gives a stripy effect, patting it, curved strokes, loops each
give a different effect.
scrape off the excess foam with a squeegee or other scraper-type object,
wiping the scraper after each pass.
Turn the fabric ink side down on a protected ironing board (freezer paper or
Teflon presscloth for example)(I'd go with the disposable myself) Iron to
set the ink.

I've always heard that you are better off letting the fabric sit overnight
before washing, even with the ironing

Jane in NE Ohio

Old August 23rd 05, 01:18 PM
Kay Roy

[...]

and as a bonus, the instructor showed us how to marble with shaving cream