Newbie

Old March 9th 04, 04:42 AM
Lina

snip

Simon! What a character! He was kept in a small wooden fenced-in
area---- completely sensory deprived, under-fed and with virtually no
human contact. He has fallen ferociously in love with me. He sleeps
cuddled tight up against me for most of the night. He wakes me every
morning by flopping on top of me and rolling- all 90 lbs. of him! snip

A friend of mine took in a cat with much the same problems. Underfed,
mistreated, on and on... Bynx is the most loving cat on the planet!!!!
If you even LOOK like you're going to pat him, he's your best friend!

I think it's amazing that you rescued Simon.

Old March 9th 04, 05:27 AM
Sharon Harper

Okay photos please - I need my Simon fix - he sounds just so adorable.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/craft.html

"Leslie in Missouri" wrote in message
Hey Leslie, How is Simon working out? Any takers on the house yet?

Springtime should be a good time for house hunters. Taria

Taria-

Nuttin' on the house sale. I'm getting ready for Paducah next month!
I'd just as soon it did not sell in March.... so it prolly will!

Simon! What a character! He was kept in a small wooden fenced-in
area---- completely sensory deprived, under-fed and with virtually no
human contact. He has fallen ferociously in love with me. He sleeps
cuddled tight up against me for most of the night. He wakes me every
morning by flopping on top of me and rolling- all 90 lbs. of him! Our
dog trainer says he's so infatuated with me that he wants my scent all
over him! (Susan, our dog trainer, refers to his silly ways as "getting
SIMONized"! LOL) We (dogs and I) heard some noises outside my bedroom
window late one night- Simon hopped on the bed, laid across my legs,
bared his teeth and growled low and mean deep in his throat. He was
ready to protect me with his life! He never finishes his food
completely- he "shares" the last bit with Barney and Missy- grateful for
them, too. To maintain my place as pack leader, I make him "sit" or
"down" before I love on him. So, now he'll rush into the room, drop
into a "down" and then bounce up and attack me with kisses. He's bright
and easy to train and silly as they come. He loves to be hugged- many
dogs don't like to be held down like that. I am continuously amazed
that he can have so much love and trust in humans after the way he was
treated "before".

Thanks for the opportunity to brag on my boy! I continue to hope your
Daisy will come around and be as wonderful as my latest
HairyFacedOne....

Leslie & The FOUR Furbabies

Old March 9th 04, 07:38 AM
Butterfly

Some of are just GLAD to be able to sew and even GLADDER that we can
use/have a machine to do it : )
Butterfly (Ragmop knows where I'm comin from--I am NOT putting her down )
"Kathy in CA" wrote in message
I prefer NOT to sew anything by hand--therefore I machine piece and

machine
quilt. If machine sewing will get the quilt done--DO IT
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

"Blaster Master" wrote in message
. com...
Hey all,

I'm new to the newsgroup and thought I'ld say "Hi!". I learned to quilt
from my Mom, who IMO makes the most beautiful quilts, but I may be

biased.
:-) I do have a question though, years ago I cut out pieces for a quilt
using a 'baby block' design/pattern. Anyways, Mom said the best way to

put
it together was piecing by hand. (That's probably why I haven't

finished
it.) Can someone please reassure me there's a way to do this by

machine??
Please.....it would be so much fun to prove Mom wrong. hahaha :-)

Deb in AR

Old March 9th 04, 04:19 PM
Teresa in Colorado

Oh, Leslie - can you come rescue my neighbors dogs? There are two of them -
one looks like a greyhound and the other is some kind of lab mix. They live
in a 3' x 3' area of the garage connected to a 3' x 6' outside run. They
used to be let out into the yard and only locked up when the kids (6th and
8th grade) were playing outside. But, they learned to dig under the fence
and escape (I wonder why?), so now they are locked up again. This has its
good points since it was MY DHs job to fix the fence and fill the holes.

They are friendly and nice - well trained - when they bark (which they do
pretty much 24/7), if I yell "Sarah, go lay down!!!", she does.

I've called the police twice for noise at night (AFTER first talking to
neighbors - I've talked to the neighbors many many many times) and once to
see if the dogs are being neglected (they aren't since they have food and
water). The neighbor just keeps saying "Quit calling the police - I'm tired
of paying the tickets." and doesn't believe me when I tell her that I have
not called the police for about a year and a half since it doesn't do any
good. Someone is calling, but it's not me.

It's so sad. Breaks my heart and the noise disturbs my sewing time. I
really don't know why they have dogs. I understand having outdoor dogs, but
the outdoor dogs I've known got lots of love and attention and exercise.
These dogs get nothing.

I am so glad you rescued Simon.
--
Teresa in Colorado

http://home.comcast.net/~treesaquilts
The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com

Old March 9th 04, 06:43 PM
Dr. Quilter

I think it all depends on how much sewing machine experience you have. I
find it easier to do that block by hand... because of the Y seams as
other people have mentioned. It is possible to string piece this pattern
but you need to split one of the diamonds in half into two triangles,
and there will be a seam going through them (there is a very good
booklet about 3D cubes - can't remember the name of the book or author -
anybody? which gives great instructions). I think it might be too late
for your quilt if you already have the fabric cut, unless you are
flexible in the colours and use the fabrics you have for the other 2
diamonds and cut new fabric for the half diamond triangles...

Patti wrote:
Hullo Deb and welcome
If you want to machine piece the baby block pattern (I assume this is
the one also called Tumbling Blocks?), you might find it a wee bit
awkward. It isn't so much difficult as tricky, because of 'Y' (or
inset) seams. If you mark the corner points of the diamonds, and sew
between those marks, you will find it works out very well. By 'corner
points' I mean the points where the seam lines intersect. You might
like to do a practice couple of blocks before launching out into the
quilt itself.
Set your blocks out so that you can see where you are going with the
design. Just pick up one piece from the layout as you come to sew it.
You can machine quilt the piece whether you hand or machine piece it.
.
In article , Blaster
Master writes

Hey all,

I'm new to the newsgroup and thought I'ld say "Hi!". I learned to quilt
from my Mom, who IMO makes the most beautiful quilts, but I may be
biased.
:-) I do have a question though, years ago I cut out pieces for a quilt
using a 'baby block' design/pattern. Anyways, Mom said the best way
to put
it together was piecing by hand. (That's probably why I haven't finished
it.) Can someone please reassure me there's a way to do this by
machine??
Please.....it would be so much fun to prove Mom wrong. hahaha :-)

Deb in AR

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old March 9th 04, 07:06 PM
Dr. Quilter

That sounds like my first guinea pig. He was kept in a small metal cage
with wire floor (a no-no for pigs, their feet get hurt). He had lice,
had scratched off half his hair in a semi circle on one side of his body
where his leg reached, and not on the other side because he was missing
that hind leg. He looked pathetic, the lice had taken advantage of the
fact he could not scratch, and he was severly underweight.

Very grumpy, probably indicative of lack of human contact (I have
another female that was in good physical shape when I adopted her but
has never completely warmed up to us either -though she has learnt to
enjoy some petting she is very skittish and hates to be held- whom I
suspect had the same 'upbringing' - both were around 3 when adopted).

Nobody could believe I had chosen that pet who looked like he would not
survive for long, but after a visit to the vet to get rid of the lice,
and a month of good food, he looked like a nice healthy pig again, with
hair and all (sans the leg, of course.. that did't grow back - never
figured out if it was genetic - inbreeding? or he had lost it in some
kind of fight or accident).

Anyway, some time later Cervantes learnt to enjoy sleeping in my lap..
and I mean sleeping, the soundest deepest sleep you can imagine, so much
so sometimes I thought he had died because I could not wake him up! None
of my other pigs have done that, though Catalina loves to cuddle. He was
my companion all through grad school and moved here with us in Jan of
2001 only to die 6 months later while we were on vacation in Mexico - he
had been very slow and slept a lot and in the end his kidneys just went.
We estimate that he lived to be 8, which is a respectable age for a pig,
especially one with that past...

Isn't it wonderful to give a living being another chance at enjoying
life and being happy after all they've known is misstreating by other
humans??? I am now in my 6th pig, Cervantes and Zorro have passed away
but the other 4 are happy campers! Incredibly for these small critters,
they all have very different personalities, tastes, and preferences.
Unfortunately I think that is our limit, though I'd love to have more.
Mainly because they need to have their cages changed a lot and it takes
time, a precious commodity and more so these days with another
'dependent' )

Old March 9th 04, 07:55 PM
Sharon Harper

We have a dog like that over the side fence. I only have to open the back
door (not even the screen) or go out under the carport and he's barking away
like there's no tomorrow. For the whole time we are outside it's yap, yap,
yap. Most days no-one is home. Another neighbour reported the owner to the
council and it almost got to the going to court stage to take the dog away
but they got it to quiet down somehow. Lasted about 2 months now it's yap,
yap, yap again. I'd report them myself but the council requires a log to be
kept of the barking. Not so bad in itself but you also need to report what
the weather was, where the wind direction was, and whether you could see
Santa in a bunny suit flyin' over your house!!!

Old March 10th 04, 06:26 PM
Roberta Zollner

Welcome Deb!
Of course you can do it by machine -it's just a PITA. Although there's
supposed to be a machine method, haven't ever tried it, with some of the
diamonds cut in 2 triangles so you can do straight seams.
Roberta in D

Old March 13th 04, 12:54 AM
Coleen

Deb --

Late in posting, but just wanted to welcome you to RCTQ.

Love in Stitches,

Coleen