quilting *after* binding?

Old March 11th 04, 10:08 PM

Default quilting *after* binding?

I made a small (45x60) quilt in a workshop a couple of months ago. She
had us "utility" quilt it only -- just enough to stabilize, diagonally
through the chains, about 6" apart. I used 100% cotton batt. Without
giving it any thought, I just bound it and put it on the couch for
snuggles. But ... now I am worried that it may not survive washings.

Can I/should I do some more quilting on it? I would probably MQ rather
than HQ. Probably straight line, continue the diagonals for a closer
grid.

What is the combined opinion here? My inclination is to go ahead but I'm
afraid it will get distorted or lumpy or something.

--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl

remove NOSPAM to reply
Old March 11th 04, 11:26 PM
Debbi

I have friends who do some basic quilting, then put on the binding and then
in, everything holds nicely. This way when they are finishing they don't
have all that extra batting and backing making the quilt even bulkier.

Debbi in SO CA

Old March 12th 04, 12:21 AM

Thanks Debbi. I needed to hear that it is OK to do. Now to have some fun ...
:-)

--
Anne in CA (NorCal, that is)

Old March 12th 04, 09:34 PM

IIRC the batt was one that could be quilted farther apart. I was just worried that
quilting now, after the binding is on, would cause some distortion. Of course, it *is*
for the TV room couch, not for a juried quilt show ;-) Thanks for your input MJ.
--
Anne in CA
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl Crow
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

MJ wrote:

It depends on the batting. Some cotton battings say you can quilt as
far as 8 inches apart. I've seen other battings that tell you the max
is only 1 inch. I don't buy those. At this point you probably don't
know which kind you used so I'd go ahead and add a little more
quilting.

Midge