What on earth do I do with this?

Old August 28th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default What on earth do I do with this?

Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

John

Old August 28th 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Assuming it is all cotton except for the 5% stretchy part. Wash it again
just to make sure!
No reason why you couldn't use this as the back of a quilt, if you are very
very careful with basting and quilt rather closely. Obviously you would have
to make sure it didn't stretch while basting. But it has enough body and it
isn't slithery, so it should work OK. Would look nice on a casual couch
quilt or child's quilt.
Roberta in D, never look a gift fabric in the whatever (as long as it's
cotton)

oups.com...

Old August 28th 07, 09:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Send it to our Jill, who will take anything and everything. She makes
quilts for homeless, abused, abandoned animals. Last year, she made
1500.........

Patti in Seattle

Old August 28th 07, 09:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Very comfortable trousers - his and hers.
If you have some left over after this, you could make matching, lined
waistcoats (vests), with machine embroidery decoration - or even some
appliqué!

There you go ...
..
In message .com, John
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 28th 07, 10:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
melinda[_2_]

Patti wrote:
Very comfortable trousers - his and hers.
If you have some left over after this, you could make matching, lined
waistcoats (vests), with machine embroidery decoration - or even some
appliqu?!

There you go ...

Skirts, to follow on from the trousers. Stretch wovens make up into
really comfortable trousers and skirts. I've been making my own
skirts and trousers recently and I've been using various sorts of
stretch wovens and they've been very comfortable. Just make sure
the stretch goes round the body, not up and down.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old August 28th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 28, 4:35 am, (Patti S) wrote:
Send it to our Jill, who will take anything and everything. She makes
quilts for homeless, abused, abandoned animals. Last year, she made
1500.........

Patti in Seattle

Patti, I don't know Jill's e-mail address. If you know it, send her an
e-mail and have her send me the contact information and if she would
like to have it. Thanks

John

Old August 28th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 02:55:09 -0500, John wrote
(in article .com):

Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

John

How much stretch? I'm guessing it could make a very comfortable shirt. I
know I've seen woven shirts and pants in department stores made of stretch
wovens. Very nice for the days when I'm not feeling to "skinny."

Maureen

Old August 28th 07, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 28, 3:55 am, John wrote:
Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

John

I threatened to make a stretch leisure suit and my wife almost spit
her coffee across the breakfast table at me, and she couldn't stop
laughing. I am definitely NOT the leisure suit kind of guy. Everything
I own is 100 percent cotton or wool. The one exception is bicycle
clothing. Lycra is the only exception I make, and I have started to
make cotton and wool cycling clothes to eliminate that exception. I
have a long range goal of producing all of the clothes I wear. I am
going to learn to knit this winter, so I can make myself some Merino
wool socks and then I plan to get a cover-stitch machine after the
first of the year so that I can sew jersey t-shirts. I then can make
cotton boxer briefs and with the addition of pants and shirt and
jacket, I will have an outfit that is 100 percent custom made by me. I
will probably be so stressed out from the endeavor that they will have
to bury me in it. But, I will be a rather nattily dressed corpse.

John

Old August 28th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Here's Jill's contact information.
Critter Comforts: Quilts for Homeless Animals
http://community.webtv.net/critterco...ritterComforts
I don't think you've mentioned: Did your wife survive the nurse
care you provided and do you have windows yet? Winter will come. Polly

lobal.net...

Old August 28th 07, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Critter Comforts: Quilts for Homeless Animalshttp://community.webtv.net/crittercomforts/CritterComforts
[...]

Thanks for the link. I have a bunch of drapery leavings and other
stuff that I can put in the box and ship it out to her.
My wife survived the nurse nice care and is on the road to recovery.
The windows are installed with only a few problems which they are
taking care of. Now we can open the windows without a crowbar and
block of wood. The old windows were first generation vinyl windows
from 1971 or so and had lived a long and until recently useful life.
It was time for a change of appearance also. Slider windows on a
Victorian house brings a Citation from the style police. Thankfully I
am now in full compliance with all the window style laws.

John