Moth help!

Old July 3rd 07, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Default Moth help!

On Jul 3, 8:28 am, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
"Olwyn Mary" wrote in message

.. .

IMO the best way is to keep things out and aired.

You're right.

I have one beautiful shawl (among several others) which I inherited from
dh's aunt, and I make sure I wear it at least once every couple of months.

I just don't have that kind of life ... I wore it when we visited them and
then it was forgotten about.

Are you familiar with the Yarn Harlot AKA Stephanie Pearl-McPhee? She
wears her shawl while eating breakfast. I plan to wear mine a lot as
well.
I have a plain one that I often wrap over my shoulders while I am
studying.

Higs,
Katherine

Old July 4th 07, 09:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
B Vaughan

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:47:39 -0500, Olwyn Mary
wrote:

IMO the best way is to keep things out and aired. For instance, with a
beautiful shawl I would tend to drape it over a piece of furniture or the
like, or at least wear it regularly so that the moths do not have the
chance
to burrow in there.

I've had things eaten by moths even though they were out and being
used. I've also tried cedar and all the herbal remedies, and
unfortunately, the only thing I've found to work is either the
old-fashioned mothballs or else something with insecticide in it.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old July 4th 07, 10:26 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Katherine" wrote in message
ups.com...

I have one beautiful shawl (among several others) which I inherited
from
dh's aunt, and I make sure I wear it at least once every couple of
months.

I just don't have that kind of life ... I wore it when we visited them
and
then it was forgotten about.

Are you familiar with the Yarn Harlot AKA Stephanie Pearl-McPhee?

No ...

She
wears her shawl while eating breakfast. I plan to wear mine a lot as
well.
I have a plain one that I often wrap over my shoulders while I am
studying.

It takes me all my time to remember to fasten my shirt and take my pills, if
Spouse didn't put out breakfast things I'd probably not think to do that
too.

I simply don't have an organised life :-(

Mary

Old July 4th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

Mary Fisher wrote:
Today I took out a shawl which a daughter knitted for me some years ago from
her own spun Hebridean black wool from the two Heb ewe lambs I gave her.
She'd chosen the stitch 'candlelight' because I made beeswax candles.

It had huge holes in it and it's unsalvageable.

Does anyone know of any home moth-proofing system?

Obviously it will be for future items but we'd hate it to happen again.
We're both very unhappy (Spouse and I - I haven't told daughter yet).

Mary

How terrible to have such a significant piece ruined! I'm so sorry.

We keep our woolens in a cedar closet, and my yarn bags all have blocks
of cedar (it's actually American juniper) scattered through them, but as
others have mentioned, mixes with lavendar in them should help as well.

Your health-food store might have bottles of juniper essential oil,
which you can dab on cotton or cardboard and place in your closets.
My sympathy.

Old July 4th 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"spampot" ""spampot\"@NO SPAM orph.org" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the sympathy - and suggestion. I have a bottle of oil of juniper,
I'll dig it out. It's far too late for the shawl butI have other woolens.

Oddly, the ones in my drawers don't get moth, it's a Victorian chest of
drawers so might have some cedar in it anyway. We have a large military
chest in which I store our wool and linen period clothes, they're not
affected by moth and I know that's cedar.

Mary

Old July 4th 07, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

B Vaughan wrote:

I've had things eaten by moths even though they were out and being
used. I've also tried cedar and all the herbal remedies, and
unfortunately, the only thing I've found to work is either the
old-fashioned mothballs or else something with insecticide in it.

If that happened to me I think I would be inclined to call an
exterminator to get rid of any moth nests which might be lurking
in odd corners of the house.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old July 4th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

Mary Fisher wrote:
[...]

I've also read that a light sanding to raise the grain of the cedar can
help bring out more of the moth-repelling oil in it. I'm lucky enough
to have my late grandmother's cedar chest from her wedding in 1926,
which isn't just lined with cedar; it's solid cedar.
Old July 5th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

spampot wrote:
I've also read that a light sanding to raise the grain of the cedar can
help bring out more of the moth-repelling oil in it. I'm lucky enough
to have my late grandmother's cedar chest from her wedding in 1926,
which isn't just lined with cedar; it's solid cedar.

Be very careful how you store stuff in there. For instance, old linens
and light colored woollens should be double wrapped in acid-free paper
so as not to be stained by the cedar oil. Some folk who thought they
were being so good for having things in cedar chests have been horrified
when they pulled out their antique textiles.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old July 11th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Aaron Lewis

Lavender helps.
Cedar oil helps.

Keep in a tightly closed chest with sachets of lavender near any openings.
I use lots of cedar balls, which I renew each spring by soaking them in a
plastic bag with some cedar oil for a few days. Then put them into old
socks which I lay along the front of the closets and hang around the
closets.

Precious wool can also be place in a tightly woven bag of linen or nylon.
The bag should be hung in a bright an airy place such as an attack. This is
how the old timers kept their wool from spring shearing to late fall when
they had time to spin. Wool cloth was also kept in the linen bags hanging
in the attic until it was needed.

I put a little lavender oil in my rinse water when I am washing wool, and
have not had any loses since I started that program. (Of course I also go
through half an once of cedar oil each year.)

Aaron.

. net...

Old July 11th 07, 09:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Aaron Lewis" wrote in message
et...
Lavender helps.
Cedar oil helps.

Keep in a tightly closed chest with sachets of lavender near any openings.
I use lots of cedar balls, which I renew each spring by soaking them in a
plastic bag with some cedar oil for a few days. Then put them into old
socks which I lay along the front of the closets and hang around the
closets.

Oh - that's a good idea, thanks!

Precious wool can also be place in a tightly woven bag of linen or nylon.
The bag should be hung in a bright an airy place such as an attack. This
is how the old timers kept their wool from spring shearing to late fall
when they had time to spin. Wool cloth was also kept in the linen bags
hanging in the attic until it was needed.

Moth larvae eat linen in our house - honestly. All the linen clothing
(period) I have in the cedar military chest is fine but that which has been
left to put away later (months ago) isn't. It takes longer for the larvae to
develop a taste for the linen but they go between the folds and pupate
there.

I put a little lavender oil in my rinse water when I am washing wool, and
have not had any loses since I started that program. (Of course I also go
through half an once of cedar oil each year.)

Lavender oil in the rinse water sounds very nice. I'll do that!

Mary

Aaron.

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...
Today I took out a shawl which a daughter knitted for me some years ago
from her own spun Hebridean black wool from the two Heb ewe lambs I gave
her. She'd chosen the stitch 'candlelight' because I made beeswax
candles.

It had huge holes in it and it's unsalvageable.

Does anyone know of any home moth-proofing system?

Obviously it will be for future items but we'd hate it to happen again.
We're both very unhappy (Spouse and I - I haven't told daughter yet).

Mary

Moth eaten baby sweaters!!!!!!!!!! Linda Yarn 24 November 27th 04 05:23 AM
Moth eaten baby sweaters!!!!!!!!!! Linda Yarn 0 November 23rd 04 08:16 AM
moth damaged yarn Bungadora Yarn 4 February 13th 04 04:46 AM
Moth 'treatment' Bungadora Needlework 3 January 6th 04 01:30 AM