SM Frustration

Old September 27th 04, 11:52 AM
Helen in MN

Default SM Frustration

I am regularly getting my HST beginning corners stuck in my machine (Janome
3500. I have a throat plate with just a small hole. I even try the little
piece of fabric first. But it still all bunches up and won't go through.
Could I be using the wrong size of needle? Would that make any difference?
I'm using a basic needle. I can't find the package size now (it's too early
and I have to go to work.)

Thanks in advance.

--
Helen in MN

Old September 28th 04, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

I am regularly getting my HST beginning corners stuck in my machine (Janome
3500. I have a throat plate with just a small hole. I even try the little
piece of fabric first. But it still all bunches up and won't go through.

Try a size 8 or 10 sharp (start small, work up). Microtex is what
Schmetz calls their skinny sharps; jeans needles are thicker for the
same size. I like the microtex for cottons. You might also try changing
your presser foot pressure (usually you need more pressure) and checking
for burrs on the needle, needleplate, bobbin case, etc.

When you put through a scrap first, do you scoot the hst right up next
to the scrap (no gap to speak of?).

Does a piece of tissue paper underneath help? (TP that feels like wrapping
tissue -- the sort you don't like to find in a public restroom) is great
for this sort of thing... toilet paper is made to disintegrate in water,
so if you don't get the little bits out, they won't last past the first wash.

Have you tried alternative methods of making HST, where you're working with
bigger pieces of fabric?

Kay

Old September 28th 04, 11:56 AM
Helen in MN

The ideas about the foot pressure sound good. I'll give that a shot. I will
also try smaller needles.
It hasn't really mattered what method I use to make the HST- my favorite
right now is drawing the line down the middle of the square and making two
at one. I use that funny little "stick" with the guidelines for drawing my
marks. Love that tool!
thanks for your help.
Helen in MN