Old Sewing Machine Advice

Old August 19th 03, 03:34 PM
Diana Curtis

Default Old Sewing Machine Advice

Take the time to give your new toy a drink of oil after cleaning it
carefully. The links that Deborah gave you might show just where to put a
drop or two of sewing machine oil to keep the machine purring. If not, then
put a drop wherever two metal parts move against one another.
What do you hope to use your machine to make? Congrats on getting one of the
old girls. They tend to live forever, giving good stitches their entire
life!
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Jewitch" wrote in message

My wonderful mother-in-law (did I mention she's wonderful) just made a
semi-permanent loan of her sewing machine. It's a beautiful old piece,
the "Domestic 618" put out by the "White Sewing Machine Products,
LTD." (World Wide -- Over 80 Years). Froim looking at the web site, I
placed iin the late 30's to mid-40's, but I could be wrong. Her mother
bought it second hand, a long time ago. Metal bobbins, thread on
wooden spools. A foot petal. It's just delightful, and much like the
machine I learned to sew on a million years ago.

Unfortunately, it has no instructions with it, and I think (hope) I've
threaded it wrong. I can only get one or two stitches to take, then
the thread breaks. Or maybe I have the tension set wrong? I've no idea
what it should be set at. Also, I can't figure out how to back
backstitch. I'll take a few pitcture tomorrow and post a URL so you
can see the machine, but if you old machine junkies can be running
this through your mind in the meantime I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jewitch

Old August 19th 03, 07:29 PM
Tante Lina

Sjpolyclay wrote in message

I think Whites are still being made, and they are indeed a pretty good work
horse!!

This gives me an idea - why not call the White company and ask them for
assistance - they may even have an archived copy of the manual.

* TL *

Old August 20th 03, 03:19 PM
Sjpolyclay

oh, I screwed up...sorry, I'm sick. I MEANT to say the big part on the LEFT
where the needle is...never was wondergful with directions
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 21st 03, 12:33 AM
Jewitch

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:32:44 GMT, "Jalynne"
wrote:

OOOOH, i'd love to see that. If i saw a pic of it, i'm sure I could figure it out.
And I'm sure Diana might as well.

There are some pics at
http://home.earthlink.net/~jlant/Domestic/machines.htm. Beware, you'll
fall in love with her; she's a beauty.

I took her in for a tune up today. They said two weeks, but probably
sooner. They also said $100. EEK. Oh well. She's worth it, I know.

Jewitch
Old August 21st 03, 12:41 AM
Karen_AZ

She IS gorgeous!!!! I guess this makes you a Domestrix. ;-)

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old August 21st 03, 02:54 AM
Jewitch

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:41:44 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

She IS gorgeous!!!! I guess this makes you a Domestrix. ;-)

LOL! just please don't say that in front of my husband, or i'll nevr
hear the end of it!

Jewitch

Old August 21st 03, 05:39 PM
Carol in SLC

I took her in for a tune up today. They said two weeks, but probably sooner.
They also said $100. EEK. Oh well. She's worth it, I know.

Yep, I've got an old White treadle that still works. They are gorgeous
machines, too!

Carol in SLC
My jewelry: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/
Old August 22nd 03, 02:41 AM
Diana Curtis

Thats just how most of us who have old beautys feel. Its got little to do
with the money, there is a deeper love running there. Every time you use her
for something you will have that feeling renewed.
Im so happy this perty machine has found a loving home, where she will be
loved and valued.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"Jewitch" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:34:01 -0700, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

Take the time to give your new toy a drink of oil after cleaning it
carefully. The links that Deborah gave you might show just where to put a
drop or two of sewing machine oil to keep the machine purring.

I decided to have her serviced. I know my MIL never did that, and I
doubt her mother did.

If not, then
put a drop wherever two metal parts move against one another.
What do you hope to use your machine to make?

I've been asked by one of the local upscale shops to make some beaded
dolls. I also thought I might try my hand at purses (I can never find
one I like) and perhaps shoes. And I'd like to get back into
quilting. I thought I'd machine piece, but I'm committed to hand
quilting. And an occasional house goodie.

Congrats on getting one of the
old girls. They tend to live forever, giving good stitches their entire
life!

Thank you. My husband probably thinks I'm silly, as do my in-laws, but
I felt really and truly blessed when I first saw her. I couldn't
believe how fortunate I saw. Not just because she probably has some
value, dollar-wise, but because of her value, quality-wise and
history-wise.

Jewitch

Old August 22nd 03, 06:01 AM
Jewitch

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:41:12 -0700, "Diana Curtis"
wrote:

Thats just how most of us who have old beautys feel. Its got little to do
with the money, there is a deeper love running there. Every time you use her
for something you will have that feeling renewed.
Im so happy this perty machine has found a loving home, where she will be
loved and valued.

This same place does rentals ... basic machine for $15 a week.
Tomorrow, DH and I will go pick up one to tide me over, now that i
have the urge to sew.

Some how in all this, I have just remembered that my mother has a
treadle machine that she's never used. She uses it as a table, and has
a basket of flowers sitting on the treadle. We (us kids) are always
'putting our names on things' for when she passes . . . I hope my
Sistah does not already have her name on that! If she does, I may
trade her the 18 place setting of etched glass that will compliment
her China!

Jewitch

Lampworking - need torch advice. BethF Beads 15 January 23rd 05 08:13 AM
Seeking Kiln Advice saucy Beads 5 August 11th 03 04:18 AM
OT - got a sewing machine! Helen C Beads 7 July 20th 03 09:18 AM
Need some advice Jalynne Beads 11 July 5th 03 11:20 PM