OT -- weird cable behavio(u)r

Old May 10th 09, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default OT -- weird cable behavio(u)r

The other day I was watching the SCIFI channel when I lost the picture and
sound. Almost immediately, QVC (a shopping channel) came on with tornado
warnings for nearby counties scrawling across the top of the screen. While the
storm information was scrolling, I wasn't able to change the channel.

BTW -- I've got Comcast. The set I was watching is hooked to a box which allows
more access than just plugging the cable wire into the set.

BTW 2 -- The QVC sales woman was so *&^%$ perky and annoying that I vowed never
to voluntarily watch that channel.

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old May 10th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

wrote in message
On Sun, 10 May 2009 08:30:32 -0400, anne wrote:

The other day I was watching the SCIFI channel when I lost the picture and
sound. Almost immediately, QVC (a shopping channel) came on with tornado
warnings for nearby counties scrawling across the top of the screen. While
the
storm information was scrolling, I wasn't able to change the channel.

BTW -- I've got Comcast. The set I was watching is hooked to a box which
allows
more access than just plugging the cable wire into the set.

BTW 2 -- The QVC sales woman was so *&^%$ perky and annoying that I vowed
never
to voluntarily watch that channel.

I have noticed 'perky' female voices seem to be the option hirers
choose. Are they attractive to males ? I can only think that is the
reason, personally I find them irritating.

Besides the fact that the "perky" voices are so irritating is the fact that
they describe something and then repeat the descriiption and repeat and
repeat and repeat```````````````````````````````````````````` ``

Old May 11th 09, 12:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Perky voices OT -- weird cable behavio(u)r

On 5/10/09 9:41 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Sun, 10 May 2009 08:59:33 -0400, "lucille"
wrote:

BTW 2 -- The QVC sales woman was so *&^%$ perky and annoying that I vowed
never
to voluntarily watch that channel.

I have noticed 'perky' female voices seem to be the option hirers
choose. Are they attractive to males ? I can only think that is the
reason, personally I find them irritating.

Besides the fact that the "perky" voices are so irritating is the fact that
they describe something and then repeat the descriiption and repeat and
repeat and repeat```````````````````````````````````````````` ``

I seem to run across them mostly in restaurants, places like East Side
Marios or Boston Pizza. Some marketing person must have told their
people in charge it would be good for business - well this person now
avoids those establishments.

Blame it all on Katie Couric. Can't stand her voice, never could. But it
must appeal to some demographic..

I was inclined to that anyway after I discovered to my horror (via a
programme called Marketplace) that the calamari appetiser that I
usually had for lunch at ESM's, which is very small actually figured
out at 1600 calories - ouch !

Don't talk to me about calorie counters. DS and DH have become slaves to the
calories allowed per day and are driving me nuts. With out exercise, all the
calorie counting is a moot point. And after dinner, don't snack. I'm
watching what I eat, but I'm also watching when I eat. More at lunch and
breakfast when I'm going to use the calories, less at dinner when I'm not.

And at restaurants, they spend ages pouring over the online calorie and
sodium counts. Drives me nuts. Skip the starch, eat your salad.

But lots of places could do much better on the amount of added salt.

Old May 11th 09, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Besides the fact that the "perky" voices are so irritating is the fact that
they describe something and then repeat the descriiption and repeat and
repeat and repeat```````````````````````````````````````````` ``

Another of my pet peeves: quite a few of the hosts of shows aired on HGTV recap
what's happened so far when the show begins again after a commercial.
Commercial breaks are longer than they used to be but most of us will remember
what we've seen. Do we really need this drivel?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old May 11th 09, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Magic Mood Jeep

"anne" wrote in message
g...

Besides the fact that the "perky" voices are so irritating is the fact
that
they describe something and then repeat the descriiption and repeat and
repeat and repeat```````````````````````````````````````````` ``

Another of my pet peeves: quite a few of the hosts of shows aired on
HGTV recap
what's happened so far when the show begins again after a commercial.
Commercial breaks are longer than they used to be but most of us will
remember
what we've seen. Do we really need this drivel?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

It's not just that channel - it's *MOST* channels - Discovery does it on
most of their shows (Deadliest Catch, Mythbusters, etc). Fortunately, we
have DVR/Tivo, so we can pause during commercials, go potty, get munchies,
scoop a few litterboxes, then come back, fast forward through the
commercials & the recap, and continue watching. The thing is, with
Mythbusters, we're finding that we end up watching it less & less for the
"mythbusting" than for the explosions Adam is getting just too
annoying (and you can see it in Jamie's face sometimes, too)...
Personally, I like Grant. Used to see him all the time on BattleBots....

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old May 11th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/11/09 11:50 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

On Mon, 11 May 2009 07:11:40 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Don't talk to me about calorie counters. DS and DH have become slaves to the
calories allowed per day and are driving me nuts. With out exercise, all the
calorie counting is a moot point. And after dinner, don't snack. I'm
watching what I eat, but I'm also watching when I eat. More at lunch and
breakfast when I'm going to use the calories, less at dinner when I'm not.

And at restaurants, they spend ages pouring over the online calorie and
sodium counts. Drives me nuts. Skip the starch, eat your salad.

But lots of places could do much better on the amount of added salt.

I can't say I count calories, it was the programme which brought it to
my attention in the case of the appetiser calamaris. It did not
cross my mind that six small rings of squid, resting on shredded
lettuce could tot up to that many calories.

I was mostly upset because I regarded that as a lunch time snack and
in actual fact it was probably MORE calories than my supper !

I did a little googling - too bad it was fried. Just steamed or raw, it's
pretty good.

http://www.annecollins.com/calories/...opus-squid.htm

Old May 11th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

On 5/11/09 11:35 AM, in article , "Magic
Mood Jeep" wrote:

"anne" wrote in message
[...]

Dumb it down, dumb it down. Even Nova does it; stops as though there will be
a break in viewing and recaps

The thing is, with
Mythbusters, we're finding that we end up watching it less & less for the
"mythbusting" than for the explosions Adam is getting just too
annoying (and you can see it in Jamie's face sometimes, too)...

Adam is overkill. The interaction used to fun, but not any more
Personally, I like Grant. Used to see him all the time on BattleBots....

Dump the rest of them, keeping just Jamie and Grant. Have Adam "guest" once
in a while. Find some "pretty people" with brains to fill in the rest.
\
The best thing about programs from the UK (like Time Team or What We Owe
???) is the presenters know the subject and have a real passion for it. Not
talking heads

Cable Pietje Puk Machine Knit 2 December 13th 07 04:43 PM
cable stitch without cable holder? B Vaughan Yarn 8 May 12th 05 03:31 PM
OT Help! I have Cable no more AOL DJDREVNA Quilting 15 September 23rd 04 02:12 AM
OT Have AOL going to Cable ? DJDREVNA Quilting 2 September 22nd 04 12:53 AM
cable help jess Yarn 0 August 31st 03 06:53 AM