Question about Learning Lampwork

Old July 10th 03, 05:20 PM
Mike Firth

Default Question about Learning Lampwork

Although I would not want to discourage you from trying the glass working,
I would offer an alternate suggestion.
If you are truely not interested in doing, I think you would get more out
of watching a chatty GOOD lampworker make beads while talking about what she
is doing. I have taken naive people through making a begining furnace work
piece and I have taken interested observers step-by-step through my making a
piece, the difference being that in the first case, I told them what they
would be doing, they did it, and I corrected mistakes, so the next step
would work, and in the latter we focused on the process, without the
mistakes. I know roughly how to make beads and I think back to my stained
glass classes where I was learning and remember how making the cutter work
and the foil work, etc., I didn't get very far in appreciating what made a
good stained glass window. I don't think I would get much out of a couple
of lessons in beadmaking as far as appreciating what going into making them.
(I appreciate them now because I work much larger.)
I think, if you take a class with the big torches, you will find there is
so much technical detail that you will either have to absorb or ignore, you
will not gain a lot. If you take the class, take it on the Hot Heads. Buy
a pair of ear protectors, the kind that go inside the ear for courtesy's
sake, if you can stand them. With my ears, I have used them and when not
available, rolled up cones of paper napkin and stuffed them in my ears.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website
"AuroraB" wrote in message

I guess this is somewhat along the same line as Beth's question about
buying a torch . . .

I want to take a couple of lampwork lessons. I don't think I'm
interested in pursuing it seriously right now; mostly I'd like to
learn enough to be able to make more intelligent decisions when I buy
lampwork beads (yeah, I'm another jewelry designer/maker)

Old July 10th 03, 09:29 PM
Jim Redden

Hi Aurora,

Just my 2 cents worth, and a bit of background before lampworking.

I'm an avid wargamer and paint lots of miniture figures, I got bored! I read
a local artical here in Rochester NY about a new bead shop about 300 feet
from where i worked at the time, took a stroll there and $100 later found I
still liked beads ( 60's child ). After buying way to many beads ( GOD DID I
SAY THAT! ) I decided I had to know where beads came from.
Well the library was worthless and the net only gave so much, BUT! I found a
catalog that sold a hot head starter kit, ( Wife indulged me and got it for
me for X-mas a few years ago ) Well playing around with the hot head was fun
and my teacher at the time was Cindy Jenkins book. Well after a 20 min run
( mapp gass ran out) again, and again, and again.ect.ect.ect. I was a bit
put off.
OH LUCKY ME!!!! I went to the Rochester Lap Society to buy some beads to
make more goodies for the wife, I met Shelli ( Red ) Carder ( greatest day
of my life) she was doing lampwork demos ( wonder i didn't get slapped for
drooling all over her table) but she talked to me, gave me hints and tips,
and TOLD me I can do anything I wanted and what I needed to do, and a hot
head was junk!

YEAH I KNOW I'M LONG WINDED!!!!!!!!

Well that was late oct and x-mas came fast again, guess what I got, my minor
bench burner insert evil grin !

Well lets say it was the difference between crawling and running I was in
love ( besides with shelli) I was using a Q tank for 0xy and a propane tank,
didn't last long shelli pointed out an oxy seperator.
Mind you I have had no formal classes yet, my teachers are Cindy Jenkins
book, and All you wanted to know about glass. I have had LOTS of tidbits,
hints and tips from shelli ( I swear I am going to get to take classes with
her and at william hollend). She is my glass goddess!!!!!!

But in my opinion, spend the extra and go to the shop that is 70 miles away,
you will come away with alot more in the long run by getting to know what
can be done with a good setup!

P.S. bring a towel so you don't get thrown out for drooling on the artists
work table!

Jim Redden

"AuroraB" wrote in message

I guess this is somewhat along the same line as Beth's question about
buying a torch . . .

I want to take a couple of lampwork lessons. I don't think I'm
interested in pursuing it seriously right now; mostly I'd like to
learn enough to be able to make more intelligent decisions when I buy
lampwork beads (yeah, I'm another jewelry designer/maker). Right now,
my main criteria is "I like it" or "vibe." I thought a few lessons
would give me a better feel for what makes a quality bead . . . Plus I
like to try new things!

Here's the question. To my knowledge

I just got through reading the thread about what kind of torch Beth
should buy (very informative, BTW. Thanks every one for all the
information). I have a similiar but slightly different question . . .

I'm interested in taking a few lessons and making a few beads. I
really don't think that lampwork is anything I'm interested in
pursuing right now; I mostly want the hands-on experience so that I
can better evaluate the beads that I buy (yeah, I'm another jewelry
designer/maker). I've read several articles that were supposed to help
-- and they did to an extent -- but I'd really think I'd be better
equiped to buy beads if I'd make a few. Besides, I like learning new
things!

Here's the question . . . As far as I can tell, there is only one
place even semi-locally that offers classes, and they teach on a Hot
head torch. I just found that out yesterday, so I haven't had time to
track down any prices yet. The other option is 70 miles away, at
Flame and Fusion in Vista, CA. They have 8 PM2D Bethlehem torches, 9
Nortel Minor Burners.

Nobody has to convince me that Flame and Fusion has the better set up.
A friend of mine (with 5 months experience, 2-3 days a month) tells me
that I am totally wasting my time/$$ if I go to the local place. I'd
like some input from the lampworkers here. Considering what my goal
is, is she right?

Thanks, Cindy

Old July 10th 03, 10:35 PM
Andy T.

I agree with Mike. Take the Hot Head class, get your feet wet and then
you'll know whether or not you're really interested.

Andy
http://www.neoglassic.com

Old July 11th 03, 01:50 AM
Randy

Hi Cindy,

My shop is in San Diego, I mainly do research work here. I have visited
Flame and Fusion. I just want to say that Helen runs a very clean, well
organized shop. She frequently has guest artisans demonstrate there. You
would be able to draw from many different wells of knowledge there.

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

Old July 11th 03, 04:41 PM
Ducky1578

I have another question about lampwork..

When making beads, what's the consensus with the kiln? Some sites say you MUST
use one and some others don't mention them at all. I love all the jewelry I've
seen with lampwork beads and would love to experiment with making some, but
after looking on the 'net I'm more confused now than I was before!

Old July 13th 03, 01:58 PM
Louis Cage

When glass is worked hot, it should be cooled slowly in order to remove the
stress. This process is called annealing. There is no way to anneal even
small pieces like beads without a kiln. If a piece is not annealed, it is
subject to cracking and breaking. Never buy beads without them being
annealed.
If you want to make some beads and practice but can't afford a kiln right
now, you can place the finished beads (while still on the mandrel) in
between two layers of Fiberfrax or into a hot crock pot filled with
vermiculite.

--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques