dimensions gold kits

Old October 16th 09, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna D.

Default dimensions gold kits

I have been working on Woodland Enchantress for a year.
I have ran out of floss in every color at least one if not more. I wrote
and received quickly, replacement floss but the chart is ripping and it was
replaced once in the beginning since I like a working chart.So I found
another kit cheap on e bay and decided to just buy the kit over, sell the
fabric and use all the floss it came with.

Why did I run out so many times?
I did make some mistakes but not enough to warrant running out of so much
floss.
This is the first kit I used the floss in for a long time since there was so
many colors. For $38.00 I would think there would be extra floss.
Does anyone have this problem or is it just me?
Donna

Old October 16th 09, 01:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

"Donna D." ) writes:
I have been working on Woodland Enchantress for a year.
I have ran out of floss in every color at least one if not more. I wrote
and received quickly, replacement floss but the chart is ripping and it was
replaced once in the beginning since I like a working chart.So I found
another kit cheap on e bay and decided to just buy the kit over, sell the
fabric and use all the floss it came with.

Why did I run out so many times?
I did make some mistakes but not enough to warrant running out of so much
floss.
This is the first kit I used the floss in for a long time since there was so
many colors. For $38.00 I would think there would be extra floss.
Does anyone have this problem or is it just me?
Donna

I have just started finishing a new UFO for someone else; it is
Dimensions Gold Millenium Angel. A few comments.

1. There is barely 2 inches spare cloth for framing. Usual
recommendation is 3 inches. I dont know the cost of an extra inch of cloth.
2. I am sure the floss is neither Anchor nor DMC. I suspect is is
normal cotton, not Egyptian cotton.
3. The pattern is on one huge sheet of paper. Knowing what I know, I
have copied the seams, as I am sure by the time I have finished, the
constant folding and unfolding will result in loss of detail.
4. The overstiching instructions are done in very heavy printing.
This makes it difficult to see the symbols which have been overprinted.

There is no excuse for too little floss. These patterns have been
stitched by "professional" stitchers. So it is possible to measure
exactly how much floss was used. Dimensions out to know how much extra
floss is required to fulfil the needs of "ordinary" stitchers. If they
dont, this would be a black mark against them. I wish I knew more about
the economics of marketing these sort of kits. Jim.

Old October 16th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ruby

F.James Cripwell wrote:
"Donna D." ) writes:

[...]

I assume it is as much else ,as it passes through various suppliers to
the store the price increases which usually means that since many
people want to pay as little as they can for things. the
producer/manufacturer uses the cheapest, most cost effective supplies in
order to make a small profit.
Individual designers who produce and sell their own kits tend to do the
same thing, especially skimp on fabric for some reason. Small market
perhaps.
I gave up on kits years ago because of that particular problem.
Not a problem much anymore as most tend have the choice now of kit or
just pattern. And with the internet there is easy access to flosses of
all types.
I also tend to do my own thing, find a subject, pick out my fill
patterns for various areas etc. As I do mainly blackwork and pulled
thread. I have done some cross stitch same way.
Ruby
Old October 16th 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Donna D." wrote in message
I have been working on Woodland Enchantress for a year.
I have ran out of floss in every color at least one if not more. I wrote
and received quickly, replacement floss but the chart is ripping and it
was replaced once in the beginning since I like a working chart.So I
found another kit cheap on e bay and decided to just buy the kit over,
sell the fabric and use all the floss it came with.

Why did I run out so many times?
I did make some mistakes but not enough to warrant running out of so much
floss.
This is the first kit I used the floss in for a long time since there was
so many colors. For $38.00 I would think there would be extra floss.
Does anyone have this problem or is it just me?
Donna

I've made several Dimentions Gold Kits over the last few years and never had
a problem with running out of floss. As a matter of fact, I generally have
some left over strands.

Of course, I'm a thread saver, aka known as stingy, and usually use the
strand until it's really difficult to pull it through on the back side.

I would get in touch with them once more and ask them for extra, or just use
the DMC colors and mix them as Tia Mary suggests.

Lucille

Old October 16th 09, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

On Oct 15, 7:19*pm, "Donna D." wrote:
I have been working on Woodland Enchantress for a year.
*I have run out of floss in every color at least one if not more.

snip
Why did I run out so many times?

Sorry to hear you've been having so much trouble.

Just trying to think of possibilities here. Do you do one stitch at a
time (uses more thread) or go across a row with the first half stitch
and then back? Do you carry your threads a long distance to the next
spot? Use waste knots? Are you using the suggested number of strands
or adding another?

Like Lucille, I've never run out of floss on a kit and usually have a
bunch left over (which I never know what to do with but still save,
for some unknown reason), maybe because I'm also a "thread saver" like
she is!

I do have a Dimensions to DMC conversion chart I put together from a
couple different ones I had. If you'd like, contact me off-list and
I'll email it to you.

Joan
Old October 16th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lucille

"Joan E." wrote in message
On Oct 15, 7:19 pm, "Donna D." wrote:
[...]

Of course I save all the leftovers. Sometimes even a strand or two if it's
an odd color.

I do use these snippets on occasion when I'm reasonably sure it's decent
floss and not pure junk.

Old October 16th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
ellice

On 10/16/09 9:25 AM, "Ruby" wrote:

F.James Cripwell wrote:
"Donna D." ) writes:

[...]

I think this really depends on the designer. I know some who are notorious
for barely supplying enough thread, and fabric. At one point when a local
group was sponsoring a well-known designer (who goes around teaching her
lovely etuis), the LNS I worked at had to order in yardage of the fabric as
the group was having serious issues with fitting the pieces in for pre-work.
Plus, this particular person uses Brussels linen, which is quite stiff, and
not as expensive as some others. That said, I know a lot of teachers who
when they kit up, particularly for teaching pieces, are quite careful to
give good amounts of thread and material. But, I expect it can be a matter
of perspective. Most (not all) are receptive to giving you additional
thread if you're short.

I gave up on kits years ago because of that particular problem.
Not a problem much anymore as most tend have the choice now of kit or
just pattern. And with the internet there is easy access to flosses of
all types.

True, so nice that flosses are readily available. For kits, there is a
cross reference to change a Dimensions kit floss # into a DMC number. My
friend who owns "The Hang-Up" (framing and stitchin' supplies) had this, we
were often having to get additional thread for people doing kits. It just
happens. With some of the "designer kitted" pieces, IME they may expect you
to stitch in a certain manner, direction, etc - and we all do what works for
us - so sometimes the thread just isn't enough. I've done a few ending with
just barely an extra 2 inches of thread - and not because of frogging.

I also tend to do my own thing, find a subject, pick out my fill
patterns for various areas etc. As I do mainly blackwork and pulled
thread. I have done some cross stitch same way.
Ruby

Nice that you do your own thing. Playing with threads and patterns, just
so much fun.

Ellice

Old October 17th 09, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

"Donna D." wrote in message
I have been working on Woodland Enchantress for a year.
I have ran out of floss in every color at least one if not more. I wrote
and received quickly, replacement floss but the chart is ripping and it
was replaced once in the beginning since I like a working chart.So I
found another kit cheap on e bay and decided to just buy the kit over,
sell the fabric and use all the floss it came with.

Why did I run out so many times?
I did make some mistakes but not enough to warrant running out of so much
floss.
This is the first kit I used the floss in for a long time since there was
so many colors. For $38.00 I would think there would be extra floss.
Does anyone have this problem or is it just me?
Donna

I have only had one problem with a kit but I DON'T think that it was a
Dimension Gold Kit, I can't remember the supplier.
Most charts are marked off with a heavy line every ten lines. This
particuler chart was marked the same way. HOWEVER, the FIRST heavy line from
the outside edge of the chart on the RIGHT was NINE lines from the edge, the
FIRST heavy line from the outside edge of the chart on the LEFT was TEN
lines from the edge.

Being as how I always start at the top right hand corner (work right to
left) a considerable amount of blue smoke developed around me when I found
out that stitches I had at a location 117 stitches from the right should
have been 116 stitches from the right. I didn't find out the error until I
did some stitching from the center and worked to the right.

Now I grid every canvas!!!!!

As for marketing problems with kits I think it depends on the company and
quantity produced, AND !!!
I have been told that there are some kits assembled off shore.
They are packaged in the USA.
Because the packaging costs more than the kits (packaging must be 75%
higher) the kits are labeled product of USA.

This holds true for a lot of items these days - CDs are one example.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
If nothing changes, nothing changes.
Don't back stitch to email, just stitchit.

Old October 17th 09, 11:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Donna D.

I hate when colors don"t match and DMC didn't match. I have DMC and
Anchor but it was too many to replace. I change colors for other things. But
this floss is actually nice floss to use. I did write them a lot!!!
Donna
"Lucille" wrote in message

I would get in touch with them once more and ask them for extra, or just
use the DMC colors and mix them as Tia Mary suggests.

Lucille

(((( Gold Smelting - Scrap Gold - Gold Recycling ))))) [email protected] Beads 0 June 18th 07 04:27 AM
Dimensions to DMC Helen Bartel Needlework 3 September 8th 06 01:36 PM
FS 14-karat Gold 1/10-carat Diamond Ring-Yellow Gold,Size 10+MORE [email protected] Marketplace 0 June 23rd 06 10:17 AM
dimensions BDS2pds Needlework 0 August 29th 03 03:12 PM
Dimensions Gold Collection BDS2pds Needlework 0 August 28th 03 10:12 PM