virus

Old July 2nd 03, 03:18 PM
Rick Wilton

Default virus

I recently recieved a virus stating it was from Microsoft.
(Not true) I noticed that a number of people from this newgroup were also
listed as recipients. Just a heads up to those who may not have their virus
software updated

--
Rick Wilton

Old July 2nd 03, 08:43 PM
kitty

"Rick Wilton" wrote in message
I recently recieved a virus stating it was from Microsoft.
(Not true) I noticed that a number of people from this newgroup were also
listed as recipients. Just a heads up to those who may not have their

virus
software updated

--
Rick Wilton

You are correct---I also have rec'd similar but I am on several
controversial newsgroups and it was "proven" by a poster there that we were
being sent these virus "Microsoft security patches" etc on purpose because
he did not like our posts. He has since been cancelled by his ISP because of
it.

Just beware....

Kitty

Old July 16th 03, 07:05 PM
nJb

Matthew Lybanon wrote in message ...
This seems to be extremely prevalent. I get several Microsoft "combined
security patches" every week. As a general rule, it's a good idea to
check with the source (Microsoft, in this case) to make sure the thing
is genuine. And in this case, Microsoft states that they NEVER send
software updates by unsolicited e-mail.

Micro$oft never sends updates. Period. Solicit all you want, they
won't send them to you. You must go to their website to get them. The
reason you see others in this group getting them is that the spambots
that grab target addresses do so in newsgroups and tend to group them
together where they found them.

Has anybody here installed one of those patches? Just wondering what
they do.

Jack
Old July 17th 03, 03:23 AM
Bart V

Has anybody here installed one of those patches? Just wondering what
they do.

As was pointed out, M$ doesn't email patches. This particular
one comes with many different subject headings that always mention
latest IE update, security patch or whatever, the size of the
attachment is either 112, 212 or 216 kb. Unless you're planning to buy
a new computer in the next 24 hours anyway, I wouldn't recommend
opening the attachement - it *is* a virus. A couple of months ago my
inbox got bombarded and I lost count after deleting over 600 of them.
Good thing I take a peek at the headers of the messages before I allow
my emailer to download them... There's this terrific little *freeware*
that lets me delete messages I don't trust right from the server
before they get to my machine. If anyone's interested you can download
it here (file size 180 kb):
http://home.cogeco.ca/~hveerman1/emailrmv.zip
Sorry Maccies, this one's for PC's only but I'm sure you can find
something similar on Google
Hope this helps,
Bart.

tinnitus, custom compensated bridges,
tabs, stained glass: www.haruteq.com

**may your moments of need be met by moments of compassion**

Damn that Virus! meijhana Beads 9 September 23rd 03 11:00 PM
OT ~ AAGGHHH!!! An old customer has the SoBig virus... Mj Beads 6 September 5th 03 06:45 AM