Sweatshirt jacket covered with squares of fabric?

Old March 25th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mauvice in central WI

Default Sweatshirt jacket covered with squares of fabric?

Several years ago everyone was making these jackets. You took a
sweatshirt cut it open removed binding, then laid it flat, Layered
squares of fabric on top of the sweatshirt , then stitched over them
leaving raw edges....Does anyone have a link or an idea how much
fabric was needed or even what was the name of the technique, I 've
wasted about 1 1/2 hours googling this and can't find much else but he
basic for turning a sweatshirt into a jacket...As usual I am about 3
steps behind everyone else making these novelty things.
Mauvice in central WI
Old March 25th 08, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

http://www.nancysnotions.com/NNVia/v...mPages/swn.htm
Don't know how to make the URL smaller.
BUT go to Nancy's Notions, right side of page says : Free! Watch Sewing With
Nancy online, ANYTIME! Go now (( TV programs)), and type in Sweatshirts and
there you a ) Has videos showing how it's done. Didn't take the time to
watch them

HTH
Butterfly

Old March 25th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Melanie Rimmer

I didn't know the answer to the sweater/jacket question but I know this
one! Go to:
www.tinyurl.com
and cut-and-paste your long URL and it will give you a tiny URL in return.

Old March 25th 08, 10:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia Altshuler

I took a class with Karen Boutte on making sweatshirt jackets a few
years ago. It was one of the best class experiences I've ever had. She
took a huge class, gave us all individual attention, had us learning
from each other, and made the whole thing fun.

You could use squares, but her idea was more to cut attractive shapes of
whatever you wanted and layer them. She was purposely vague about how
much fabric to buy. The idea was more to play with the colors, then to
play with quilting threads.

You're reminding me. I finally finished the project and should send her
a picture. I love the way it came out. My only trouble was that she
said to start with a sweatshirt that was one size too big, and with all
the stitching I put on mine, I really needed one that was several sizes
too big. I ended up needing a friend to help me put gussets in mine.
There was no way it was going to fit.

Here's Karen's webpage: http://www.karenboutte.com/

--Lia, bopping in, then about to disappear again

Old April 27th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kay Ahr[_2_]

And I'm a month late finding mine --
http://www.backporchfabrics.com/vests.htm

Info from the pattern jacket --
"I Can't Believe It's a Sweatshirt"
Jacket, Pullover, and Vest
1998 Gail E. Abeloe
Back Porch Press
www.backporchpress.com

I took a class where we used the pattern. That was at least 2, maybe 3
years ago. Mine is officially classified as a UFO now.

--
Kay Ahr in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/kayahr