4X maternity patterns

Old December 6th 03, 02:33 AM
Terry Unkelhaeuser

Default 4X maternity patterns

My daughter-in-law is pregnant and needs 4X maternity clothes. Does
anyone know of any available patterns in this size? Does anyone know of
ready made clothes in this size?
Thanks
Karen
Old December 6th 03, 02:57 AM
Pat

Try the following:

www.lanebryant.com both regular and maternity I think

www.chadwicks.com clothes.....not sure about maternity

Look for the Women's sizes

Old December 6th 03, 11:45 AM
Trish Brown

Terry Unkelhaeuser wrote:

My daughter-in-law is pregnant and needs 4X maternity clothes. Does
anyone know of any available patterns in this size? Does anyone know of
ready made clothes in this size?
Thanks
Karen

Hmph! The very best of luck to you in your search!

When I was pregnant, I found that according to clothing manufacturers no-one
above a size 18 gets pregnant and therefore there are *no* RTW clothes and
especially *no* patterns for larger women! I can't think why this is the case,
but I found not a sausage for myself and wound up altering patterns considerably
and making my maternity clothing by trial and error.

I *hope* you manage to find things for your DIL, but AFAICT, there's precious
little available!
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia

PS. FWIW, chopping out the front piece of a pair of pants and inserting a
maternity panel is easy enough to do.

PPS. You can take an ordinary blouse or T-shirt pattern and simply make the
front about six inches longer and slightly circular in profile at the front hem.
It will be too long for a short while, but then will expand to fit the growing
tummy! Toward the end of the pregnancy, it can help to slit the side seams to
allow extra room. HTH...?
Old December 6th 03, 12:51 PM
Trishty

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 02:33:35 GMT, Terry Unkelhaeuser wrote:

My daughter-in-law is pregnant and needs 4X maternity clothes. Does
anyone know of any available patterns in this size? Does anyone know of
ready made clothes in this size?
Thanks
Karen

Do a Google search for '4X maternity wear' - it brings up too many RTW
sites to list here, but your DIL will be spoiled for choice - this market
is much bigger than it used to be.

She might find www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/ useful too - answers lots of
questions, such as how she might expect her measurements to change, and has
a resource list, including pattern manufacturers and books on sewing
outsize maternity and nursing wear.

Connie Amaden-Crawford's patterns at http://fashionpatterns.com are
specially sized for figures up to 7X and although they don't include
maternity wear, some patterns could be adapted - she also drafts pants
patterns to fit the individual, so it might be worth contacting her.

HTH anyway.

Trish
Old December 6th 03, 01:37 PM
julia

Terry Unkelhaeuser wrote in
:

My daughter-in-law is pregnant and needs 4X maternity clothes. Does
anyone know of any available patterns in this size? Does anyone know of
ready made clothes in this size?
Thanks
Karen

Simplicity and Mccall's both have patterns that are sized up to a 20 or 22.
You just have to look at each pattern (not every pattern goes up to that
size). For ready-to-wear try www.motherwear.com for a nice selection. Also,
www.motherhood.com has a lot of plus size stuff, and they also have outlet
stores, but their return policy is very strict (store credit in most cases
and I think you have only two weeks to get that) so make sure it is
something that she will like/want. JC Penny's and Sears both have plus
sized maternity as well (though with JC Penny, the catalog has more than
the store). I think Old Navy, the Gap and Target have some items up to a
XXL, which I'm not sure corresponds exactly to a 4X, but their return
policy is very liberal so it might be worth taking a look.
HTH!

-j

Old December 6th 03, 01:37 PM
Trish Brown

Trishty wrote:

Do a Google search for '4X maternity wear' - it brings up too many RTW
sites to list here, but your DIL will be spoiled for choice - this market
is much bigger than it used to be.

She might find www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/ useful too - answers lots of
questions, such as how she might expect her measurements to change, and has
a resource list, including pattern manufacturers and books on sewing
outsize maternity and nursing wear.

Connie Amaden-Crawford's patterns at http://fashionpatterns.com are
specially sized for figures up to 7X and although they don't include
maternity wear, some patterns could be adapted - she also drafts pants
patterns to fit the individual, so it might be worth contacting her.

HTH anyway.

Trish

Sigh! Where were you when *I* needed this stuff, Trish??? ;-D
--
Trish {|:-}
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old December 6th 03, 02:30 PM
Kitty Fluff

Hi I was a 4X when I was preggers. I put the stretchy panels in m
pants....including old jeans....and they were wonderfully comfortable.
wasn't too worried about the quality of my work at that time as my top
hid the panel

If you want to buy some well made large tops eBay has plus siz
designers that offer tops, loungers, tunics, etc that might be comfortable---d
zines:cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&user id=d
zines&sort=3&rows=25&since=-1&rd=

And fabrictoyou:iewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid= fabrictoyou&sort=3&rows=25&since=
1&rd=

You might try all-plus-sizes: http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...ems&userid=all
plus-sizes&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=2

Good luck

Beck

-
Kitty Fluf

Posted via MooTal
http://mootalk.com
Old December 6th 03, 02:48 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: Trish Brown

When I was pregnant, I found that according to clothing manufacturers no-one
above a size 18 gets pregnant and therefore there are *no* RTW clothes and
especially *no* patterns for larger women! ....

Thankfully, times have changed a bit Trish -- at least this side of the
pond. When DD was preggers last year, I found a lot of stuff for her at
Motherhood Maternity. Fortunately, there is a shop available at the local
outlet mall :-)). They do have clothing in 3X & 4X but there is precious
little!
A lot of what DD wore she bought at Lane Bryant -- the large size clothing
store. DD is a BIG woman and normally wears a 2X. She would buy the standard
3X and 4X clothing and just chose the things that were VERY loose fitting.
Stuff with elastic in the neckline and pleats or gathers worked the best.
When I was younger and VERY heavy (well over 300#) I HAD to make my own
clothing because there was no Lane Bryant, etc. I would use the largest size
maternity top pattern I could get -- the kind with a yoke and a gathered lower
portion. The yoke isn't that hard to alter. Where I needed the extra room --
and where a pregnant woman needs it -- is in the bosom and the tummy. I would
just add as much fabric to that lower gathered portion to cover my various
parts nicely! I made the tops sleeveless and would just wear a long sleeved
top underneath in the colder months.
Something else that was available when I was preggers -- but I haven't seen
since -- was a sort of half top. It was made of knit material with either a
turtle neck or a button front but it only came to just below my bosom. That
way, it was easy to layer under other tops without having all the bulk of extra
fabric covering my huge pregnant belly. That might be an option! Make an
assortment of sleeveless tops and several of these "extended dickies" to wear
underneath.
Just about any top pattern can be made into one of these types of "half
tops". Simply cut the thing off where needed, add a casing and stick some
elastic in to keep the thing snugly under the bosom. CiaoMeow ^;;^
..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old December 6th 03, 05:19 PM
Trishty

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 00:37:49 +1100, Trish Brown wrote:

Sigh! Where were you when *I* needed this stuff, Trish??? ;-D

Sorry

I don't know why I know this stuff - I'm a UK size 14 and don't have kids -
but I just seem to end up making things for people who are either bigger or
more pregnant than I am...

Totally forgot to say, along my usual tub-thumping lines, that caftans,
djellabahs, kimonos and other ethnic wear are fab for any size and shape of
body. I have instructions for making all of these using your own
measurements, should the said DIL want them.

www.galleryafrica.com has a great range of free-size garments in African
prints, including caftans and dashikis.

Trish
Old December 6th 03, 09:09 PM
Me

Trishty wrote:

www.galleryafrica.com has a great range of free-size garments in African
prints, including caftans and dashikis.

Trish

Wow! Those are gorgeous!!
--

Joanne
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.