OT Scented Candles MCS help please?

Old September 29th 03, 11:58 PM
georg

Diana Curtis wrote:
This year I am tentatively planning to give votive candles in holders as
small gifts. I dont know if the intended recipients are chemically
sensitive. Would it be best to:
A. Send unscented candles only
B: put the wrapped scented candle in a ziplock and put a note that such a
thing is inside the package? Would the baggie protect the recipient enough?
C: ask the intended recip. if scents will hurt them?

Ask the recipient! If in doubt, ruin the surprise and inquire. I'd
rather be healthy, than surprised in a bad way.

Even in ziplocks, scented votives are migraine inducing to myself. And
even if you think it's unscented, it may still have something. Rose is
allergic to petrochemicals- of which parafin is one. So any candles that
aren't 100% beeswax will cause an allergic reaction in her.

-georg

Old September 30th 03, 01:10 AM
duh who

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
This year I am tentatively planning to give votive candles in holders as
small gifts. I dont know if the intended recipients are chemically
sensitive. Would it be best to:
A. Send unscented candles only
B: put the wrapped scented candle in a ziplock and put a note that such a
thing is inside the package? Would the baggie protect the recipient

enough?
C: ask the intended recip. if scents will hurt them?

Thank you so much for answering all our MCS questions here. I appreciate

you
taking the time to educate us.
Diana

I would say send unscented candles only. Don't assume the ziplock will hold
up. Even if the person is not noticably reacting now, that doesn't mean
they aren't being harmed by the harmful chemicals in most of these products.
Don't contribute to the deterioration of the health of your friends.

Better yet, quit supporting an industry that is poisoning us all. Don't buy
scented products and spread the word that they are harmful. Perhaps include
a note with your unscented presents explaining why you chose an "unadorned"
gift, and wish them a happy and healthful new year.

Now stepping off of my unscented soapbox.

Dwight

Old September 30th 03, 01:12 AM
duh who

I hope these questions arent a bother.

Even if I sounded cranky (I get that way on this subject), I totally
appreciate your concern, knowledge, and desire to acquire more knowledge on
this subject.

Dwight

Old September 30th 03, 01:31 AM
Diana Curtis

Default OT Scented Candles MCS help please?

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Old September 30th 03, 02:03 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Never had a problem with scented items in a well-sealed ziplock. Asking is
always a nice touch, too.

"Unscented" isn't always what it seems. Sometimes it means they add some
"neutral" fragrance to cover up other scents, which can still be a problem.
I haven't noticed it with candles, but I'm not a big candle buyer, either.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old September 30th 03, 02:10 AM
Kathy Applebaum

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message

I do not want to poison my friends inadvertently. It just doesnt capture

the
holiday spirit.

Well, maybe in *your* family it doesn't... (yes, we put the "fun" in
dysfunctional! ROFLOL)

Old September 30th 03, 02:12 AM
georg

Diana Curtis wrote:

Thank you Georg! I would rather play it safe. So, if surprise is important
unscented gifts are a good thing. Gotcha!
I hope these questions arent a bother.
Diana

Keep asking. Education is ALWAYS a good thing, =)

I promise to keep answering.

-georg

Old September 30th 03, 02:18 AM
Lisa Ellis

Diana Curtis wrote:

This year I am tentatively planning to give votive candles in holders as
small gifts. I dont know if the intended recipients are chemically
sensitive. Would it be best to:
A. Send unscented candles only
B: put the wrapped scented candle in a ziplock and put a note that such a
thing is inside the package? Would the baggie protect the recipient enough?
C: ask the intended recip. if scents will hurt them?

Thank you so much for answering all our MCS questions here. I appreciate you
taking the time to educate us.
Diana

--
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

Diana,

This is just a thought...every year some of the people in our office
give out small gifts. after seven years, I have several cute little
picture frames, some candles, a few christmas ornaments etc, etc. All
of this stuff, while very nice, is just stuff that sits on my shelves
collecting dust unless I can find someone else to give it to. If you
want to give small gifts, I would consider giving something consumable.
I've gotten (and really enjoyed) small jars of honey, homemade jam,
fancy popcorn, salsa, good vinegars and oils. You don't run into the
problem of scents, and if the recipient happens to be allergic to the
gift, edible items are easy to re-gift.

lisae, who's quilting friends and ds know to give her fabric

Old September 30th 03, 02:22 AM
frood

I think that depends on what holidays you celebrate, right? Don't forget
about Bump Off Your Buddies Day on Sept. 30!

--
Wendy, duckin' and runnin'
De-Fang email address to reply
"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
You dont sound cranky. Im grateful for the chance to keep learning more.
I do not want to poison my friends inadvertently. It just doesnt capture

the
holiday spirit.
Thanks
Diana