Group Rudeness per Announcing Stitching Retreat****************

Old March 28th 04, 03:51 PM
Jane George

Default Group Rudeness per Announcing Stitching Retreat****************

I would first like to offer my apologies to Cindy Valentine, the
rudest retorts I have seen in awhile. Then again I have not been
reading RCTN for a few months as the bickering and downright nastiness
were not what I wanted in my stitching world.
If the two posters, Lucretia and Tia Mary had taken the time to go to
Cindy Valentines' website or Googled her they would hae been able to
view her accomplishments. Her Hardanger designs are some of the most
intricate on the market. Her designs, something I don't think the two
posters have attempted, are carried and sold all over the country, well
known shops and distributors are well aware of her work.
I do consider myself one of the aforementioned "rank and file" and am
proud to say I have taken three classes from Catherine Strickler of
Indigo Rose and will be having that pleasant experience again in a month
at "Celebration of Needlework" in NH.

I will be 61 years old next week, I have been cross stitching for
at least 20 years, I have been attending various stitching events and
festivals for over a dozen years. I love the art of cross stitch, it
occupies many hours of my days, I am proud to be a part of this
continuing art, I am always looking for ways to introduce it to new
stitchers.
I would never badmouth, or in any way denigrate anyone who was
attempting to build a business or further this beautiful art and can not
understand anyone who calls them self a stitcher would be part of such
an attack.
I offer my apologies to the group, hopefully this will not unlease one
of the violent posting storms, but I felt that such rudeness as that
shown to Cindy Valentine had to be addressed. Now back to my stitching.

Bye for now, Jane

Old March 28th 04, 04:54 PM
Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply

From: (Jane George)

..... I do consider myself one of the aforementioned "rank and file" and am
proud to say I have taken three classes from Catherine Strickler of
Indigo Rose and will be having that pleasant experience again in a month
at "Celebration of Needlework" in NH. ....

You wouldn't be part of what I consider the "rank & file" is you have taken
classes from these people. I also clicked on the link that was provided and
looked at what was offered. The classes have not been determined yet and I
think the manner in which the initial post was made was pretty commercial. I
mean, just LOOK at the original header!
There are a ton of people who read RCTN who don't do much beyond stitching
on aida. Many of these people, while at the upper end of what I **PERSONALLY**
call the "rank & file", won't even attend classes or the market at CATS. They
certainly aren't going to spend almost a thousand dollars for a weekend
stitching event that hosts only one teacher whose work is easily found at the
retail craft stores -- store swhere a lot of the readers (and lurkers) of this
group get the majority of their needlework supplies.
I believe the original poster would have been better off posting without all
the ****** hoopla in the title -- especially considering SHE is one of the
teachers and will profit from the venture. That makes it advertising which is
a no-no here -- and yea I know there is a very fine line between what we get
upset about and what we don't! Now, a post about the stitching retreat is OK
and of interest to many here. The way it was posted (all those **** in the
title) appeared to be a bit too blatant. Cindy should have had someone else
-- someone who would NOT benefit financially -- post about the event.
The site should also have the COMPANY names for the designers. There are a
lot of people who know Victoria's Sampler and Indigo Rose but aren't
particularly familiar with the designer's names! I didn't know Thea Dueck was
the Victoria Sampler designer until I bought my first chart of hers. I KNEW
the name of the company (I saw the charts at Hobby Lobby) and loved the designs
but didn't know *her* name.
I can't speak for Sheena but I just went and looked at the posts. Cindy
posted THREE times in succession (using caps in the title on the first two) and
the posts were pretty much advertising. I didn't see anything I would consider
"rude" in any of my posts. I STATED my opinion that I felt the cost was too
high and compared it with what I spent at CATS. I am sure I was abrupt as that
is basically the way I am but that doesn't make me rude. Someone pointed out
that Catherine Stickler is a well known designer and my "well known designer"
comment was inappropriate. I explained WHY I used that phrase and apologized
for offending Catherine as I did not mean to do that.
I'm really glad you are 61 and have been stitching for at least 20 years.
I am 57 and have been stitching for FIFTY YEARS! I don't really see what any
of that has to do with the fact that the **original** THREE posts were
basically advertising. The information about the retreat is important and
should be shared with all of us. The oridginal poster (Cindy V) needs to be
aware that it was done in a manner that was considered advertising by readers
of the group and NOT appreciated. If she had not psoted THREE times and used
all caps, I am sure that there wouldn't be such a fuss over it! CiaoMeow
^;;^

..

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old March 29th 04, 12:31 AM
Julie

"stitcher" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 09:51:20 -0500 (EST), (Jane
George) wrote:

I would first like to offer my apologies to Cindy Valentine, the
rudest retorts I have seen in awhile. Then again I have not been
reading RCTN for a few months as the bickering and downright nastiness
were not what I wanted in my stitching world.

Hear, hear !! ..... I feel exactly the same way and in the last two months
my kill file has expanded from 3 to 13, soon to become 14 ...

If the two posters, Lucretia and Tia Mary had taken the time to go to
Cindy Valentines' website or Googled her they would hae been able to
view her accomplishments.

I, for one, will go and check it now. I have missed 99% of this thread for
the very reason just mentioned above. I know from whence the fire arises
either on a regular or an irregular basis, doesn't matter. So with the
offenders not downloaded, I had no idea what was going on with this until
now. Thank you very much, Jane .....

[...]

you may want to stop seeding the clouds then.
Ruby
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad
judgment.

Ruby, you make #14. Anyone, anywhere who would respond to a nice post with
a line like " stop seeding the clouds ", is someone whose words are sour and
bitter themselves.

Thanks Jane .... Julie