A fun day! Books and floss!

Old July 24th 03, 01:05 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default A fun day! Books and floss!

Yesterday my Mom drove up from the Cape (of Cod) and brought a box of books
and two of my baby blankets and some books for DD.

In the box of books were some fishing books for Dson, some other random
books for DH and some of my old books from high school and college. And some
of my favorites from child hood. A 1926 edition of Enchantment Tales for
Children (myths retold for children), a 1911 edition of The Secret Garden
and a first edition of a Nancy Drew. The Enchantment Tales could use some
conservation. What joy - I wish DD would stay still for a book with out
pictures.

Then she and I finished a project that I started about a week ago. All my
flosses are organized. All the pearl cottons are in a box, all the over dyes
in another and the silks in yet another. Beads and charms are in a little
zipper bag. All the metallics and rayons are bagged and on a ring! And all
the DMCs are in Floss Away bags in numerical order - currently 8 bags with
a number range of 1xx to 38xx.

Today's project is to make a few returns at Michaels,get some large cup
hooks. Go to Staples and buy another box of book rings (lots cheaper than
the DMC ones) and a bag of tags. Then on one side of my closet I am going to
put up the cup hooks, tag the rings of bags, record which numbers I have ( I
enlarged on of those check list charts) and hang them up.

Next is to record which over dyes I have in Excel!

-_-_
My Mom left with some charts and a kit I knew I didn't want to stitch (she's
going to do it and give it to DD). She allowed it would be fun to organize
her floss - when am I heading to the Cape?

Cheryl

Old July 24th 03, 06:50 PM
Brenda Lewis

Sounds like a lot of fun! At those prices I'd drive to Nashville.
Easier to haul lots of goodies that way. I suppose it does mean a
longer trip but not bad with a companion.

Ellice wrote:
I, OTOH, get to go to the American Quilt Society gathering, show, whatever,
in *Opryland* in a month. My Daunt, who has helped with some sample sewing
for me, had a quilt juried into the show - and evidently I must accompany
her to this event. So, I wanted to go only for 2 days - though I'm sure the
quilts are gorgeous, and there are many classes (but registering now,
well...) and I'm too busy getting ready for a show, and designs out, to
spend 5 or 6 days. But, get this - $500 - $760 for a RT to Nashville from
the DC area - unless I stay thru til Sunday from Tues. Or drive 50 mile to
BWI.

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: J. Himsworth "I Shall Not Want" xs

Old July 24th 03, 11:21 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Ellice,

Wow, lucky you. My DM gave away my gorgeous set of leather bound classics
for children. It had been hers, then mine, and probably from about 1930. She
gave them, with my baby bracelet, to my 2nd cousin when I left home at 15.
Boy was I made, those books are long since gone. Aren't you having a great
time, lucky you.

I'd have been in tears. Ages ago Dad tossed 5 pounds of antique glass beads
I had bought with babysitting money.

Then she and I finished a project that I started about a week ago. All my
flosses are organized. All the pearl cottons are in a box, all the over dyes
in another and the silks in yet another. Beads and charms are in a little
zipper bag. All the metallics and rayons are bagged and on a ring! And all
the DMCs are in Floss Away bags in numerical order - currently 8 bags with
a number range of 1xx to 38xx.

Care to make a trip to the DC area? I'll take you stash shopping, if you'll
be the stash organizer fairy. Oh, no - I think I've got a real new design
idea - The Stash Fairy ;^)

Its a deal - but the kids may have to come too!

Today's project is to make a few returns at Michaels,get some large cup
hooks. Go to Staples and buy another box of book rings (lots cheaper than
the DMC ones) and a bag of tags. Then on one side of my closet I am going to
put up the cup hooks, tag the rings of bags, record which numbers I have ( I
enlarged on of those check list charts) and hang them up.

You have a closet? An actual closet with room to do this - what an idea.
Clever girl. Yup, I always but the rings at Staples. I also use a lot of the
plasti-coated large paper clips - they're great for holding things on to
canvas, or even tags to fabrics - don't leave marks.

Well, I've been ditching lots of older clothes to Goodwill. I never wear
them. And DD's clothes are mostly in her closet. I recently gave it a good
clean out because of a strange odor (actually old card board box I think!)
and lots more went out. So I can now easily get at one end and hang the
hooks up.
Now, what I want to find is some of those round metal rimmed tags to put
the numbers on!

Next is to record which over dyes I have in Excel!

You are a shining example of organization. Getting the baseline like this
makes it so much easier to keep up.

My Mom left with some charts and a kit I knew I didn't want to stitch (she's
going to do it and give it to DD). She allowed it would be fun to organize
her floss - when am I heading to the Cape?

Beach. You get to go to the Beach. Sigh. Big sigh of jealousy. We're doing 2
pool parties here at Club Puck this weekend - both days, full of hockey
types (refs one day, scarey, players the next). No beach time.

I'd rather drive all night to join you then spend one minute on the Cape
during tourist season. One year (back when I was in college and working
there over the summer) I directed more people on how to drive to the islands
- basically off the end on the Ocean Street docks. The beach is not a fun
place any more - too many muscle heads and hooker look a likes to bring the
kids to romp like I got too!

I, OTOH, get to go to the American Quilt Society gathering, show, whatever,
in *Opryland* in a month. My Daunt, who has helped with some sample sewing
for me, had a quilt juried into the show - and evidently I must accompany
her to this event. So, I wanted to go only for 2 days - though I'm sure the
quilts are gorgeous, and there are many classes (but registering now,
well...) and I'm too busy getting ready for a show, and designs out, to
spend 5 or 6 days. But, get this - $500 - $760 for a RT to Nashville from
the DC area - unless I stay thru til Sunday from Tues. Or drive 50 mile to
BWI.

Sounds like a nice little road trip!
Good job, Cheryl,

Thank you!
PS - I know you've said you have a web site! what is it!
Cheryl
Ellice

Old July 25th 03, 06:03 AM
Brenda Lewis

Key tags. Avery makes them. Item #AVE11026 for the four-color
assortment. 50 tags for $6.99 per http://www.staples.com

Old July 25th 03, 12:24 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Interesting - at our local Staples they were 100 for $6.99. Only I'd prefer
a smaller amount!
Cheryl

Old July 27th 03, 03:07 AM
HeyPaula21

Oh, it sounds like a lovely and productive time, Cheryl! Wanna come get my
floss organized? LOL

Paula H

Cotton and Glass Arondelle Beads 24 October 18th 04 04:48 PM
Needlepoint books & leaflet 4 swap or sale Ruthie Marketplace 2 February 19th 04 10:50 PM