Thread

Old May 21st 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IEZ[_2_]

Default Thread

"Cindy Schmidt" wrote in message
Just thought I would check in after unpacking some more and I have come up
with a question should have a fairly simple answer but at this point I
don't know what it is.

I am still working on my new HUGE sewing room and I am putting all of my
thread on a thread rack. I hate all those little stringy things hanging
off of each spool. All of my older spools has the little slice in the
spool where you can put the end back in but the newer ones don't have
that. So, what do YOU do to keep it neat and tidy looking.

--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

I toss'em into a drawer in my three-drawer plastic caddy that sits alongside
one of my sewing tables.

Sorry, I know that won't help! And no, they aren't tidy, but they are
dust-free and I only have to look at them when I am scrabbling around for
thread. I do have a thread rack that hangs on the wall, and there are a few
spools still there, with threads hanging. But more and more, my thread is
migrating to my thread drawer, and I am thinking of how I can repurpose the
thread rack.

Iris

Old May 21st 10, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
oldhag[_3_]

On 5/21/2010 1:45 PM, IEZ wrote:
"Cindy wrote in message
Just thought I would check in after unpacking some more and I have come up
with a question should have a fairly simple answer but at this point I
don't know what it is.

I am still working on my new HUGE sewing room and I am putting all of my
thread on a thread rack. I hate all those little stringy things hanging
off of each spool. All of my older spools has the little slice in the
spool where you can put the end back in but the newer ones don't have
that. So, what do YOU do to keep it neat and tidy looking.

I use Hugo's amazing tape to secure my spools. You can use clear vinyl
from Wally world and cut it to wrap around the spool overlapping the
ends so that it secures itself.
DonnainNWONtario
Old May 21st 10, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
EstelleUK

I use the sticky paper around the top of the spools. They usually lift when
you pop them on the sm so I stick a little piece on the loose end of thread.
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/EstelleUK11

Old May 21st 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy Schmidt

LOL Iris - since I've moved I'm going to TRY to be more neat and tidy in my
sewing room. Can't guarantee that it will last but I'm going to give it a
shot and I just can't stand all those little thingys hanging down.

--
Cindy from GA
(but wants to be in MO)

"

Old May 21st 10, 09:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

Cindy, many of the newer spools have that double end where you can wrap the
end around and snap it down. I skinny piece of press and seal or plastic
wrap might work, too.

For bobbins the coolest trick is to go to the hardware store and purchase
some clear plastic tubing with a 3/8 in. *inside* diameter. Cut the length
of it in slightly less than 1/4 in. sections. Then cut a slit in the side
each little section- I use my heavy duty kitchen shears to do all the
cutting. Each ring will slip around the thread on the bobbin (full bobbin
or nearly empty- they still work) and keep the ends tidy. And three feet of
it costs less than $2 and will make a huge number of bobbin thread guards.

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old May 21st 10, 10:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Fri, 21 May 2010 13:57:29 -0500, oldhag
wrote:

On 5/21/2010 1:45 PM, IEZ wrote:
"Cindy wrote in message
Just thought I would check in after unpacking some more and I have come up
with a question should have a fairly simple answer but at this point I
don't know what it is.

I am still working on my new HUGE sewing room and I am putting all of my
thread on a thread rack. I hate all those little stringy things hanging
off of each spool. All of my older spools has the little slice in the
spool where you can put the end back in but the newer ones don't have
that. So, what do YOU do to keep it neat and tidy looking.

I use Hugo's amazing tape to secure my spools. You can use clear vinyl
from Wally world and cut it to wrap around the spool overlapping the
ends so that it secures itself.
DonnainNWONtario

I use blue painters tape - it's sticky enough to stick to itself so I
wrap it around the spool and onto itself but not sticky enough to
leave a residue on the tape. Been using this since I got my first
embroidery machine and have never had a problem. You must like the
looks of blue tape though

-Irene
Old May 21st 10, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Water works. You can smooth the thread end in place on the spool or bobbin
and swipe it down with a barely moistened fingertip. If you've just changed
a carburetor or removed a toad from a boy's pants pocket, you probably will
want to wash your hands first. You will probably want to wash your hands
anyway. Polly

"Leslie& The Furbabies in MO." Cindy, many of the newer spools have that

Old May 22nd 10, 01:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Not sure how that would work in our nearly non-existant humidity here. I
bet Leslie is good for having some moisture in the air in Mo. though. At
least with the dry air we can make meringue most days. I'm sure we don't do
that often enough.
Taria