Blocking 100% Silk

Old September 30th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Default Blocking 100% Silk

I was wondering what everyone's take on blocking 100% silk was. I'm
working on a scarf (Liesel), and I'm a long way from blocking, but
I've been thinking about how I'll do it. I've googled it, and gotten
some varying opinions: Some say be brutal, some say be ginger. Some
say really stretch it, some say just barely. Also, I read something
about ironing the object once done to bring out the gloss.

I would be interested in hearing about everyone's experience.

Thanks,

Hesira

Old October 1st 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georgia[_2_]

It doesn't stretch, but it "grows" from the weight of the finished garment.
I had to give the pullover I made myself to Goodwill as the short sleeves
grew past my elbows, and the thing itself kept falling off my shoulders.
You might want to consider hanging up what you've got, and recording how
much it grows over the course of a few days.

Georgia

"Wooly" nobody@nunya wrote in message
hesira wrote:
I was wondering what everyone's take on blocking 100% silk was. I'm
working on a scarf (Liesel), and I'm a long way from blocking, but
I've been thinking about how I'll do it. I've googled it, and gotten
some varying opinions: Some say be brutal, some say be ginger. Some
say really stretch it, some say just barely. Also, I read something
about ironing the object once done to bring out the gloss.

I would be interested in hearing about everyone's experience.

Thanks,

Hesira

Silk doesn't block the way wool does. It has no memory and doesn't
stretch much so don't expect blocking to make the FO magically bigger,
because it won't. I toss silk in the washer (in a lingerie bag for
knitted stuff) and the dryer as I prefer the softer hand such abuse
produces.

Old October 2nd 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

Thanks, Wooly and Georgia.

Your input really helped.

Hesira

Blocking Mary Fisher Yarn 28 August 7th 07 06:13 PM
If you looking for 100% pure silk/ hand woven / brocaded silk? ChivalrySilk Marketplace 0 May 16th 07 08:29 AM
Kits, patterns for stitchers, hand-dyed silk ribbons and silk threads by House of Embroidery. [email protected] Needlework 1 August 17th 06 12:46 AM
Blocking Wooly Yarn 9 January 23rd 06 09:04 PM