Evertite bars

Old July 27th 03, 07:12 PM
BDS2pds

Default Evertite bars

EVERTITE BARS: PRODUCT REVIEW

Needlepoint canvas sags as you work it, it always has and it always
will. People who work on frames know the struggles we always had
with saggy, baggy canvases. If you use scroll frames, you tighten
over and over again. If you use stretcher bars, you had to take off
the tacks and restretch to keep the canvas taut.

No more, a fantastic new product has come to market, Evertite Bars,
which are not only an improvement over regular stretcher bars, but
have an ingenious method to make it easy to keep the canvas tight.
At each end of the bars is a hex bolt and nut, the bolts can be
tightened to keep the canvas drum tight.

The bars are put together so the bolts are on the INSIDE of the
corners, covered by the joint. It looks weird (I did it wrong the
first time), but that's the secret. By tightening the screws, the
nut moves against the opposite side of the corner, stretching the
canvas and keeping it tight, really tight.

The bolts are very thin and a cool "T" shaped hex wrench is available
for tightening the bolts. It's incredibly easy to use.

There are some other nice features in the Evertite Bars which make
them a real pleasure. The bars are slightly wider than standard
stretcher bars and made out of beautifully finished wood. The center
point on each bar is burned into the outside, so it's easy to center
the canvas.

To mount canvases begin attaching them in the center and work out to
the corners. but don't attach the corners, this keeps the pressure of
tightening off them, preserving the canvas.

I decided to torture test my current canvas on the bars. I mounted
the canvas and started to stitch -- it was tighter than anything I
have ever done by hand. The entire time I stitched it stayed tight.

Then I carried it around in my stitching bag for several days, when I
bought it out again, it had loosened slightly, but it was still
tighter than normal stretcher bars would be. A couple of twists with
the wrench and it was back to perfect tightness, no taking out and
replacing tacks (something I am too lazy to do).

These bars are a marvel and make stitching an absolute dream!

The suggested retail prices a

4" thru 6" $11.00 per pair
7" thru 9" $12.00 per pair
10" thru 12" $13.00 per pair
13" thru 15" $14.00 per pair
16" thru 19" $15.00 per pair
20" thru 24" $16.00 per pair

Shops will be able to obtain these bars and the T-Handle wrench from
Romancing the Past.

This is from :
Nuts about Needlepoint
Volume 6, Issue 14
July 20, 2003
ISSN: 1520-9369

Old July 27th 03, 08:12 PM
Lucille

This stretcher bar sounds intriguing and I would love to know more about it.
If you find a place on the internet that carries it, please share the
information. I couldn't find a copy of Nuts About Needlepoint, July issue,
nor could I find it available in any on-line shop.
Lucille

Old July 27th 03, 11:10 PM
Pat Porter

How odd - I`ve never had to take Aida or Evenweave off stretcher bars to
tighten it up - and I really like it TAUT! could be because I really REALLY
stretch it, and use pins at one inch intervals.

Pat P

Old July 27th 03, 11:28 PM
animaux

Yes, that's about right. The scroll bars I use on my Perfect Tension system
have no side bars to put any thumb tacks in to hold it laterally, taught. I
suppose it's because the scroll rod doesn't go through an adjustable hole, the
rods have screws at either end which go through small holes. The sewing tape
works great for the first turn, but once the thickness differs as stitching
continues to fill the center of the piece, it loosens up on the sides. That's
why I use the rolled felt at the ends and just roll it with the whole fabric as
I move the design up.

Do you have the whole field in front of you, or do you have to move the rods as
the work unfolds?

Old July 28th 03, 02:01 AM
Momjws1

Sounds very interesting, as you say, tightening is an ongoing problem.

Sheena

I agree, Sheena. Wonder if there's a website? Anyone know?

Jane in WV
Old July 29th 03, 08:56 PM
BDS2pds

Lowery

It is my understanding that the Lowery company is who is making the Evertite
bars.