Bear cotton thread?

Old March 2nd 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Per Starbäck

Default Bear cotton thread?

At http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bear_cotton_thread.jpg is
a picture of a cotton thread with at bear on it. It is made by the
very large producer J. & P. Coats of Paisley, Scotland. Can anyone
tell me anything about this?

It was sold in Scandinavia since the 1910's or something like that,
and a long time after that. It is very well-known here in Sweden,
where especially strong thread often is called "björntråd" (= bear
thread), because of this brand it seems. But I can't find any mention
of it in the English language (except that which is done by
Scaninavians), and I've searched a lot, on the net, in books, in J. &
P. Coats history, ... Isn't it known in Great Britain?
--
Per Starbäck
"Life is but a gamble! Let flipism chart your ramble!"
Old March 3rd 09, 12:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Per Starbäck wrote:
At
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bear_cotton_thread.jpg
is a picture of a cotton thread with at bear on it. It is
made by the very large producer J. & P. Coats of Paisley,
Scotland. Can anyone tell me anything about this?

It was sold in Scandinavia since the 1910's or something
like that, and a long time after that. It is very
well-known here in Sweden, where especially strong thread
often is called "björntråd" (= bear thread), because of
this brand it seems. But I can't find any mention of it
in the English language (except that which is done by
Scaninavians), and I've searched a lot, on the net, in
books, in J. & P. Coats history, ... Isn't it known in
Great Britain?

I have never seen the "Bear" logo thread by Coats & Clark
(I'm in the U.S.A.), but I suspect it's very similar to
"upholstery" thread or "buttonhole twist":
http://www.coatsandclark.com/Product...ad+Advisor.htm

Are you researching this particular thread or do you just
want a similar heavy duty thread?

Beverly

Old March 23rd 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Per Starbäck

"upholstery"thread or "buttonhole twist":http://www.coatsandclark.com/Product...ats+Sewing+Thr...

Are you researching this particular thread or do you just
want a similar heavy duty thread?

Beverly

Thanks! I'm just interested in this particular thread. Now I have
found out from Coats that this thread is only sold in Sweden, Denmark,
Norway and Finland, so that's why you hadn't seen it. I guess it just
happened to become very popular here like a hundred years
ago, and that they therefore have kept it here even though it's no
longer part of their regular assortment.

Old March 23rd 09, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design

Per Starbäck wrote:
I have never seen the "Bear" logo thread by Coats &
Clark (I'm in the U.S.A.), but I suspect it's very
similar to "upholstery"thread or "buttonhole
twist":http://www.coatsandclark.com/Product...ats+Sewing+Thr...

Are you researching this particular thread or do you
just
want a similar heavy duty thread?

Beverly

Thanks! I'm just interested in this particular thread.
Now I have
found out from Coats that this thread is only sold in
Sweden, Denmark,
Norway and Finland, so that's why you hadn't seen it. I
guess it just
happened to become very popular here like a hundred years
ago, and that they therefore have kept it here even
though it's no
longer part of their regular assortment.

Well, it's very nice to learn that you were able to solve
the mystery! No wonder I have never seen it. ;-)

Beverly

Sulky 12 wt. cotton thread on sale Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. Quilting 15 July 20th 08 02:56 PM
Good cotton thread Lenore L Quilting 0 December 2nd 07 09:54 PM
thread: cotton vs cotton-polyester Ellison Quilting 25 August 2nd 05 03:15 PM
Cotton or Polyester Thread clancy Quilting 10 February 4th 05 01:09 AM
Rebekah cotton thread LLWeisse Yarn 0 April 4th 04 02:57 AM