Overseas shipping info I'm not happy about

Old May 18th 04, 10:30 PM
Mj

Hi Kalera -

I just found this on the Trade Information Center website about licensing:

"Though your locality may require a business license, a special license is
not required to engage in exporting in most cases. However, exports to
certain countries or individuals or exports of certain products may be
restricted or require licenses or other types of approval. For example, the
Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) issues licenses
for the export of certain "dual-use items", i.e., items with both civilian
and military applications. For more information about special licensing for
exporting, see the articles titled "Export Controls" and "Export
Classification Numbers (ECCN)". "

This is from a TIC October 2002 article entitled STARTING AN EXPORT COMPANY.

I think we can safely say our bead exports don't require a license. I'd
like to know, however, where you found the information about exporting over
$500 worth of goods a year requiring a license. I looked into export
regulations over four years ago and never did find anything on any
government website that indicated I needed a license at all. Just want to
be sure that 9/11 didn't change things and it's just not showing up on the
webpages I've seen this afternoon.

Thanks and HTH!

Mj

--
=================================
Marjean Cline - Certified Bead Enabler

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
Thanks! I am going to call SCORE and have them translate for me...
someone there will probably have experience with this.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Mj wrote:
I'm not sure where you found the regulation stating this restriction,

but I
think the export regulations have more to do with the Commerce Control

List
of items than with beads. After following some of the links on the page

you
gave, I'm pretty sure beads don't require a special export license to

sell
overseas - unless, of course, they contain hidden nuclear secrets and

you're
sending them to Cuba! LOL!

Seriously, I'll research this more thoroughly when I have more time, but

truly think you needn't worry about beads.

Mj

Old May 18th 04, 10:43 PM
AmazeR

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:10:57 -0700, Kalera Stratton wrote:

That's for the *whole year*. Basically where I'm at right now is that if
I ship one more thing overseas this year without the license and they
catch me, I'm screwed. I HAD NO IDEA.

I'm going to call SCORE for more easily comprehensible information about
the license. The government site is a PITA to make sense of.

Maybe this is one of those stupid old laws that never got repealed or
whatever, and no-one is bored or stupid enough to have the job of counting?

Here's hoping anyway...

I couldn't think of a more dumb law or how someone even came up with
that one! What a boring life that person must have had!

Mavis

Old May 18th 04, 10:45 PM
AmazeR

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:18:57 -0700, Kalera Stratton wrote:
snip

Maybe I need to move to NZ, where they appear to actually have a
government that MAKES SENSE.

How did you know we have a woman Prime Minister?

Mavis

Old May 18th 04, 10:47 PM
AmazeR

On Tue, 18 May 2004 11:20:44 -0700, Kalera Stratton wrote:

Thanks! I am going to call SCORE and have them translate for me...
someone there will probably have experience with this.

Hey Kalera..

Careful not to make smoke where there might not be a fire... it might
give them ideas....

Mavis

Old May 19th 04, 12:13 AM
Kalera Stratton

I dunno... intuition?

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 19th 04, 12:17 AM
Kalera Stratton

Ah, but that's why I'm calling SCORE instead of the gov... SCORE is a
neat little non-profit agency made up of experienced businesspersons who
volunteer their time and knowledge to help out youngsters like me.

MJ, if you're reading this, the link is in my OP... but I couldn't makse
sense of the website, hence deciding to call SCORE. I didn't do it today
because I still can't talk, but I hope to call this week when my voice
is better.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay

Old May 19th 04, 02:09 AM
Cheryl

If you don't know you need a license to do something, and when you do
your research on the proper ways to do it it never gets mentioned in any
of the documentation you read, how are you going to find out?

government regs are really the pits...

I have to agree with that!

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS