Needle size

Old April 5th 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Needle size

Hey Ladies

I was wondering what size needle would I use with 28 weight thread.

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old April 5th 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hand or machine? Piecing or quilting?
Details, Kate, details!!
PAT in VA/USA

Old April 5th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Hey Pat:

I did ask a dumb question didn't I. Not enough info to get an answer,
thanks for the reminder. My brain tilts on occassion. (giggle)

I was looking at King Tut thread and is comes in two sizes 28 wt and 40
wt. I have a frame for machine quilting and using the 50 wt thread
doesn't show up at times like I want it to and I thought a heavier wt
of thread would accomplish that. I now use size 16 or 18 universal
needles.

I see all kinds and sizes of machine needles and some of the are labled
for their use, i.e. jeans, leather, metalic, etc but have yet to find
any info on what size needle to use with the different wt of thread.
The size of the eye, the size of the needle and the groove that goes
done the needle all have to do with accomplishing a good stitch without
all the skipped sts, thread breakage or birds nests. A size 11 needle
flexes too much and can break easily when MQ. I don't think the eye in
the universal needle is large enough to accomodate the heavier wt of
thread.

And no Polly I am not going to truss up any more turkeys for you pet
gators. I've got some contract workers and SBA employees selected for
their lunch. I'll throw in some Pepto for thier stomach aches. Don't
want those babies getting sick, ya know.

Kate T. South Mississippi

which needle? lisa skeen Quilting 10 February 21st 06 02:15 AM
question about sewing with denim and faux furs. [email protected] Needlework 3 January 11th 05 08:37 PM
sewing machine help needed Packrat Quilting 14 February 23rd 04 02:53 AM
Needle/Hook Size Kathryn Yarn 13 January 22nd 04 09:27 AM
Singer Needle Size Question M. Wetmore Quilting 1 December 26th 03 05:09 PM