Raglan Sleeve Sweater Question?

Old October 22nd 03, 02:45 PM
Louise Weiler

Default Raglan Sleeve Sweater Question?

Hi all - I usually just lurk (and pick up tips!), but now I have a
question...

I just finished a raglan sleeve pullover for DS. It's a no-sew version :-),
BUT, I have a hole about the size of a nickel under each arm. Any idea why
that happened? Is it because I am a loose knitter? For this particular
sweater, I plan to weave the hole, but I'm wondering how to avoid this in
the future?

(FYI - According to the directions, I had to cast on two stitches after
slipping the sleeve stitches to a holder...)

Thanks!
Louise

Old October 22nd 03, 02:57 PM
SlinkyToy

It has to do with stress on that area of the underarm, and the fact
that when you came back and joined new yarn to make the sleeve the
first few stitches loosen up over time.

Just use the yarn end to darn upt he hole. Nobody will see it, but it
might be drafty

Old October 22nd 03, 10:06 PM
Richard Eney

wrote:

I just finished a raglan sleeve pullover for DS. It's a no-sew version :-),
BUT, I have a hole about the size of a nickel under each arm.

It has to do with stress on that area of the underarm, and the fact
that when you came back and joined new yarn to make the sleeve the
first few stitches loosen up over time.

Just use the yarn end to darn upt he hole. Nobody will see it, but it
might be drafty

Heck, people pay extra for hot-country travel shirts that have eyelets
under the arms. It's a feature.

=Tamar
Old October 23rd 03, 01:30 PM
Louise Weiler

Thanks for the info...I darned it up and no one ('cept maybe me) will be the
wiser. Finished it just in time, too - we got a dusting of snow last
night...

Louise

"Louise Weiler" wrote in message
Hi all - I usually just lurk (and pick up tips!), but now I have a
question...

I just finished a raglan sleeve pullover for DS. It's a no-sew version

:-),

Old November 15th 03, 12:08 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hallo Louise ,
I didn`t see whether you knitted from the neck down , but if yiu had
to cast on 2 stiches it seems that was your direction,,,,
So you cast on the 2 stiches for underarm , between back and front
parts,,, that is ok , Now excuse my asking ;"did you cast on same 2
stiches when you knitted the sleeve ??? and if so did you cast it on
the needles ????or on the underside of the 2 stiches you cast on
between back+front. Now USUALLY , this is ok to cast on the stiches on
the former cast on ,,, but sometimes ,,[ wool too loose , bigger size
, pattern`s pull, etc,, who knows why ???] it seems i cast on and a
hole shows up , in this case cast on the Body said stiches , and than
when casting on the lseeves stiches i double or triple the number = i
cast on one on one the number requested , but add 1 stiches or even 2
stiches in next round , just to decrese them in the the 2nd round m
this way this extra stiches feel thec Hole , aren`t counted nore
worked after the 2 round ,, but the armpit is full and no holes show
up .
In case you already knitted and a hole shows up , don``t just Weave or
sew it ,,, make an embroidered cahin stich it will give te armpit more
strecahability , less bulkiness and more strength , mirjam
Ps did you take care not to increase the raglan stiches at the edge
but at least 1 , preferably 2 stiches from the edge ????this could
cause to holes as well .
mirjam

Hi all - I usually just lurk (and pick up tips!), but now I have a
question...

I just finished a raglan sleeve pullover for DS. It's a no-sew version :-),
BUT, I have a hole about the size of a nickel under each arm. Any idea why
that happened? Is it because I am a loose knitter? For this particular
sweater, I plan to weave the hole, but I'm wondering how to avoid this in
the future?

(FYI - According to the directions, I had to cast on two stitches after
slipping the sleeve stitches to a holder...)

Thanks!
Louise

"Sweater pic" -- where can I find one? Carolyn Sewing 12 October 20th 04 12:49 AM
A Knitting Question: Guage Dianne Lewandowski Needlework 25 October 13th 04 04:08 AM
collar question FtForger Sewing 20 May 14th 04 09:36 AM
A question for lampworkers Diana Curtis Beads 42 May 7th 04 07:26 PM
Using Guernsey technique on Norwegian sweater? H Schinske Yarn 0 October 15th 03 09:44 PM