Dual Feed question

Old April 26th 04, 09:15 PM
DKiely33

Default Dual Feed question

Can someone tell me if it is advantageous to have an Integrated Dual Feed
system on the machine? I know Pfaff has it on some (all?) of their machines.

As I am still consdiering a machine I wanted to know if this is something worth
having on a machine.
Is it partcularly helpful with any particular fabrics?

Any help would be appreciated?
Thanks.

Dee
Old April 29th 04, 12:25 AM
sewwhat

Hi, yes it is great for quilting, stripe fabrics and rubber backed
curtaining and has many other uses. I have a pfaff and love it, but i also
have a Bernina and love that just as much and on any other brand than pfaff
you just have to get a walking foot for the machine and it works just as
well. Good Luck sharon

Old April 29th 04, 08:49 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Dual feed is wonderful to have, either built in (as on the Pfaffs) or as a
separate attachment that will fit most other machines. Once you use the
dual feed, you'll wonder how you sewed without it!
I don't do much by way of quilting, but I find it indispensable to have when
sewing together two fabrics that 'do not get along' together! It is also
handy to have when placing something very gathered onto a flat piece of
fabric.
If you're not getting one with your machine, just ask the dealer for a
walking foot attachment. They are generally not out in plain view because
for their size they are expensive. (Greater tendency for 'walking' than
being bought!)
Good luck!
Cynthia

Old May 2nd 04, 10:47 PM
Margaret

Dee--I have had a Pfaff for several years--and wouldn't want to be without
the dual feed. It is especially good on sewing long straight seams.
Margaret
-------
Dee asked about a dual feed machine------

Old May 7th 04, 03:04 AM
CW

The add on "walking foot" is a different thing altogether. A true dual feed
or walking foot actually feeds the fabric from above in sync with the feed
dog. The add on feet are passive devices. They do not actively feed the
fabric. They just do not offer any resistance to feeding such as a regular
foot would give.

Old May 7th 04, 07:09 AM
Cynthia Spilsted

There are add-on walking feet that actually do walk. They cost (where I
live) around $40 each and work on the same principle as the Pfaff built-in
system. The biggest drawback is that they add a fair amount of extra bulk
near the needle shaft which would drive me crazy. (As stated before, I do
little in the way of quilting but use my walking foot a lot for adding
layers of tulle to ballet outfits!
Cynthia

Old May 7th 04, 05:18 PM
CW

The feet you are refering to do move but they do not activly feed the
fabric. The "feed dogs" of the foot are spring loaded. They are moved by the
fabric that is in turn moved by the lower feed dogs. The foot offers lower
resistance than the reglar feet but they do no active feeding.

Old May 7th 04, 06:08 PM
Larry Green

"CW" wrote in message
The feet you are refering to do move but they do not activly feed the
fabric. The "feed dogs" of the foot are spring loaded. They are moved by

the
fabric that is in turn moved by the lower feed dogs. The foot offers lower
resistance than the reglar feet but they do no active feeding.

I guess there must be variations on the walking foot theme. The one
belonging to a friend that I examined clamped to the presser foot bar but
had a link arm that attached to the needle bar. This link was in turn
connected to a series of levers which ended in a set of feed dogs. In this
case the 'walking' dogs moved in time with the lower feed dogs.

Larry

Old May 7th 04, 08:26 PM
Kate Dicey

Larry Green wrote:

"CW" wrote in message
The feet you are refering to do move but they do not activly feed the
fabric. The "feed dogs" of the foot are spring loaded. They are moved by

the
fabric that is in turn moved by the lower feed dogs. The foot offers lower
resistance than the reglar feet but they do no active feeding.

I guess there must be variations on the walking foot theme. The one
belonging to a friend that I examined clamped to the presser foot bar but
had a link arm that attached to the needle bar. This link was in turn
connected to a series of levers which ended in a set of feed dogs. In this
case the 'walking' dogs moved in time with the lower feed dogs.

Larry

All those I've ever used have worked this way, including both the
expensive Husqvarna one I got with the quilting kit, and the cheap and
cheerful Singer one I got for the treadle. I've never seen the other
sort.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old May 7th 04, 09:36 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Sorry, but the ones that I am referring to are moved by the needle arm. No
argument, just an observation. I have seen the ones that are feed by the
fabric. They are next to useless.
Cynthia