My day!

Old July 14th 03, 08:40 PM
C. Mathews

I can't believe it but I actually finished my quilt and it is not perfect
but very acceptable.
I wish I had a camera to show you all.
Thank you so much for all your comments and advice and encouragement. I
don't think I would have continued without it.

Carla
"Sarah Curry" wrote in message
I know it isn't polite, but I AM just LAUGHING, Carla! I suspect every
single ONE of us has had a machine-quilting day like that! Ragmop, of
course, will snort and say "just hand-quilt it" ...

But I'm glad you're doing your practice squares!

Grins,

Sairey

C. Mathews wrote:

Those of you who read my previous posts know that I am struggling with

my
first machine quilt.
Since I spent two days pulling out my mistakes, I decided today was the

day
to start quilting afresh.

Everything went wrong that could go wrong! I am not only learning how

operate a new fancier machine that I am not used to, but I had to figure

out
how to install the walking foot. This proved to be quite a challenge as

had never seen one before and the directions and pictures were not very
clear (maybe the French version was better but unfortunately, I don't

speak
French).

After an hour of pulling my hair and muttering to myself, I finally

figured
it out and realized the presser foot had to be down before the needle

lined
up perfectly.

Then I discovered I had bought the wrong thread. Got the new thread and
proceeded to roll my quilt and attach bicycle clips. Guess what? I had
only purchased one set...too dumb to know that I needed more than two.

:-(

OK, so now I do a sample three tier sandwich and everything looks good

so I
start to quilt. Yippee!! It is actually working.

This was before I tried rewinding my bobbin thread and didn't notice

that it
was not doing it correctly and it wound its way around the post, which

took
me almost 1/2 hour to get off.

Then my scissors fell apart. My favorite snips gone. Guess I will

order a
new pair when I order some more bicycle clips.

Then the new spool of thread snarled and snapped and I started all over
again.

Oh, did I mention that I keep getting lost in my quilting design??? I

was
told to only quilt in one direction so that means there is a lot of

stopping
and starting on the Split Rail design.

Is it me? Is the moon in the wrong phase?

I am determined I WILL finish this quilt, come heck or high water.

Now aren't you happy to read to the bottom of this lament?

Please say a little prayer for me as I continue this fiasco tomorrow

bright
and early. I just had to give up today;my back is killing me.

Carla

Old July 14th 03, 10:13 PM
Patti

Hey! Well done Carla.
Good for you. Yes, it is sometimes difficult; but not always; and the
thrill of getting something like a large quilt 'beaten into submission'
is enormous.
You might give yourself a rest - and try something small for your second
quilt g
But, for now, bask in the satisfaction.
..
In article , C. Mathews
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 15th 03, 12:39 AM
Elena

Hooray!! We do a Happy Dance when someone finishes a quilt. Congratulations!
Relax and enjoy your satisfaction....

Okay, what's your next quilt all about?

Elena ( just joking, go ENJOY! ) Kicking up her heels for you in Texas