OT...olean, olestra problems

Old January 7th 04, 10:35 PM
Boohoo1971

Default OT...olean, olestra problems

I love potato chips and have been looking at the chips cooked in "olean" a
brand name for olestra. There are half the calories in olean chips than
regular. I got some, they were okay. In about 15 hours I started having major
gastrointestinal problems. I spend most of the next day and a half, in the
bathroom. Finally I am starting to feel better so I just did a web search for
olean and got only praise for the product...then...I did a search on olestra.
There were a number of things about it and is reported to have caused more
medical problems than any other food since records have been kept. Before you
try the chips or any product with either olean or olestra, I would suggest you
run the google search on olestra. My last 36 hours have not been fun. You are
a nice, helpful bunch and I would hate for any of you to have the problem I
did. Boo
Old January 7th 04, 10:44 PM
Kristy Malarkey

Had the same experience and now avoid it like the plague. If it sounds to
good to be true, it is :-)

Kristy

Old January 7th 04, 10:57 PM
JL Amerson

Before they released Olestra, there were alot of articles warning people
about the possibility of "fecal urgency" problems.

Old January 8th 04, 12:17 AM
LTuros41

and that is why I don't eat Burger King fries for a long number of years. They
are fried in that stuff. Don't know if they still are, but they are still
awful from what I hear. Linda
Old January 8th 04, 01:34 AM
Olwynmary

I really want chips, I buy a single
serving bag. Just enough to kill the craving.

Those of us who regularly feed diabetics (or heart patients, or anyone else who
is eating lowfat) know to buy only Baked Lay's chips. They have 110 calories
and 1.5 fat grams per ounce (that's a single serving bag, although I buy the
big ones and ration them).

DH is very fond of chips, so I serve them occasionally, as part of the meal,
with a salad or a very healthy sandwich.

No affiliation, etc., just one of the strategies I have learned.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.