One size fits all

Old April 1st 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Default One size fits all

You know the drill. A tag that says 'one size fits all' means it's not
going to look good on anybody.
Wonder what is a good size for a quilt? Once again, I had this silly
notion that I would stitch scraps into strips, make blocks, create a quilt
and reduce the scraps bin. You *know* that didn't work. The scraps bin
multiplies every time my back is turned.
With the scraps blocks together, the quilt would be 63" square. I can
add blocks or at least borders but I don't know where I'm going. Without a
doubt, this quilt will find a need. The size shouldn't be so big that it's
a pain, or so stingy that it doesn't cover without a draft if someone is a
cover hog. What size fits all? Or an easier question, wonder what size
would fit most? Polly Esther

Old April 1st 08, 03:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

That width is about the right size for a twin bed. If this were my project,
I'd go ahead and make it about 90-100 inches long. That's also a great
snuggle/snooze on the sofa size. JMO

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old April 1st 08, 04:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Actually, Leslie, I had you in mind when I was thinking of cover hogs -
assuming that your fur babies like to stretch out and try to make themselves
as comfortable as possible. Polly

Old April 1st 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

My darling HairyButts do not know the meaning of 'curl up and go to sleep'.
Each of them stretches out as long as they can- even their tails and front
legs are extended straight out. Simon and Daisy lay on their side- silly
young Hoover sleeps on his back.... and snores. Loudly! I have about 6.2
inches at the far edge of the bed for my own personal sleep space. And if I
visit the 'facilities' during the night I'm lucky if my tiny sliver of bed
is still there for me when I return to 'our' bed. Good thing I love those
naughty, spoiled, over-sized, furry brats! VBG

Yeah, I *need* a large quilt!

Old April 1st 08, 08:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kamalaleah[_2_]

I had to giggle you have a furbaby named Hoover. I've take to call my
furbaby Hoover since she eats so fast it caused her terrible gas one
night. The bad thing is for a rabbit it can kill them if not caught in
time. I keep baby gas x on hand and do not give her all her pellets in
her bowl. I spread them out so she has to hunt for them and not vacuum
them out of her bowl.

Tamara

Old April 1st 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Melanie Rimmer

Polly Esther wrote:
You know the drill. A tag that says 'one size fits all' means it's not
going to look good on anybody.
Wonder what is a good size for a quilt? Once again, I had this silly
notion that I would stitch scraps into strips, make blocks, create a quilt
and reduce the scraps bin. You *know* that didn't work. The scraps bin
multiplies every time my back is turned.
With the scraps blocks together, the quilt would be 63" square. I can
add blocks or at least borders but I don't know where I'm going. Without a
doubt, this quilt will find a need. The size shouldn't be so big that it's
a pain, or so stingy that it doesn't cover without a draft if someone is a
cover hog. What size fits all? Or an easier question, wonder what size
would fit most? Polly Esther

Polly, I made a scrap quilt by just stitching scraps together any way
they would fit into a 6" block. Sometimes I had lots of strips and made
strippy block. Sometimes I made log cabins. Sometimes I had found enough
1.5" squares to make a postage-stamp block, or enough HSTs to do
something with them. Or sometimes I stitched weird-shaped scraps all
over a 6" foundation into a crazy block.

I'm quilting it now, and here's what I learned: To stop it looking just
a mess, I set pieced blocks and 6" unpieced squares alternately. All my
unpieced blocks were blue. But (because I was trying to bust my stash,
like you) some of my blue unpieced squares are patterned, some are
plaid, some are light blue, some are dark. It still looks pretty messy.
Your eye has nowhere to rest. I relented and bought enough T-O-T navy
blue fabric for borders and boy does that calm it down. but it would be
a much nicer quilt if I had used all the same fabric for the unpieced
squares. Or at least if they were all similar in tone and scale. Just
all being blue was not enough.

I'm going to make another one because I still have more scraps and it
was fun. But I'm going to buy fabric for the unpieced squares. First I
need to finish quilting this one.

Oh, and in answer to your actual question, my garden-variety quilt size
is 5'x6' I usually make a 3'x4' centre and then add 1' wide borders (I
just like wide borders, I feel they frame a quilt centre, and you can
have fun quilting feathers and stuff in them). This size fits on top of
a single bed, as a footer across the bottom of a double bed, over the
back of a sofa, or is a nice size to wrap around yourself whilst
watching TV.
Old April 1st 08, 10:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I've really given up worrying about it. When the quilt says it's finished,
then I stop. Sorry to be unable to answer this question, but every odd size
quilt I ever gave to a charity auction found an enthusiastic bidder and went
to a good home.
63" seems like a very nice lap or couch size!
Roberta in D, Queen of the Scrap Heap

Old April 1st 08, 11:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

I purchased a comforter for a Q bed and I don't feel it is really big
enough, especially after the dog and DH come to bed with me. After I get up
during the night and come back to bed the dog is sleeping with his head on
my pillow. Usually he gets under the comforter and then comes back out so
his head is in the middle of my pillow. He isn't good at moving over for
me! He like to sleep on his side with his feet straight out so he take up a
lot of room. If I were going to buy a comforter for our double bed in the
camper, I would get a Q. For the Q bed in FL, I would get a K size. And for
the K in SC, I get a spread. HTH
Barbara, still in FL

Old April 1st 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Mar 31, 10:43*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
You know the drill. *A tag that says 'one size fits all' means it's not
going to look good on anybody.
* * Wonder what is a good size for a quilt? *Once again, I had this silly
notion that I would stitch scraps into strips, make blocks, create a quilt
and reduce the scraps bin. *You *know* that didn't work. *The scraps bin
multiplies every time my back is turned.
* * With the scraps blocks together, the quilt would be 63" square. *I can
add blocks or at least borders but I don't know where I'm going. *Without a
doubt, this quilt will find a need. *The size shouldn't be so big that it's
a pain, or so stingy that it doesn't cover without a draft if someone is a
cover hog. *What size fits all? *Or an easier question, wonder what size
would fit most? *Polly Esther

Most of the dozen or so lap quilts I have done have ranged in size
from 66" square to 72" square. The variation depended on the size of
the main pieced center design and came out to finished size after I
added that I thought looked like the appropriate border. No hard and
fast rule there though, as your choice of border may differ.

John
Old April 1st 08, 01:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_2_]

Melanie, there's just no doubt that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
My sister was here Sunday evening and found the scrappy quilt to be
disturbing; she was searching for a pattern or at least some order and, of
course, there is none. I won't promise that I'll add resting places; I
think the quilt is quite cheerful, but I am willing to place the blocks on
the guestroom bed for a few days and think about it. Thank you for sharing
your quilt process with us. Polly

"Melanie Rimmer" wrote Polly, I made a scrap quilt by just stitching

IT FITS!!! blackrosequilts Quilting 8 June 7th 06 05:46 PM
Philosophical question. Chart size v canvas size. F.James Cripwell Needlework 8 March 19th 05 12:46 PM
FS: Bridal Gown & Accessories for Fashion Doll 11&1/2". Fits Barbie(TM). TrueAmerican Doll Houses 0 November 17th 04 05:37 AM
this knot is giving me fits!! anthraxx Knots 0 April 8th 04 11:45 AM
From another List , But I think it fits well here with the subject lately Fabric Lover Quilting 1 August 9th 03 08:30 PM