Original charter

Old October 19th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
[email protected]

Default Original charter

In a previous post someone asked about "show-and-tell". This post from
1998 about the original charter for this group also talks about gifs,
etc. as being allowable only on alt.binaries newsgroups. I found it by
entering charter in the "search this group" box. There is also a lot of
interesting information in the archives, which can be found by clicking
"about this group". The archives listing shows a definite slowdown in
posts over the last few years. I'm basically a lurker, and have been
glad to see the revived interest in this newsgroup.
Linda

Following is the Charter for this group:

CHARTER: rec.crafts.rubberstamps

The purpose of the newsgroup is to facilitate open discussion of the
craft
of rubberstamping. It will provide a global forum to discuss topics
concerning rubberstamping, its techniques, vendors, sources of
supplies, and
to arrange swaps.

The group will be unmoderated.

Postings from vendors advertising their products and sales are welcome
provided they announce the word vendor in the subject line of their
posting.

END CHARTER.

The group was proposed and organized by:
Phyllis
Linda
Suzanne
Karen
Michele
Kim

although none of us currently seem to be very active in the group.

Posting gifs, jpegs, etc. is not allowed as it is only allowed in the
alt.binaries newsgroups.

I hope this answers any questions.

Old October 19th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.rubberstamps
Gina Bull

I thought I'd weigh in on this since I've been a Usenet administrator for a
couple of decades (time flies ...)

Usenet is a text medium. It was developed back when there was only text.
Then file structures got more complicated ... and large. Then the focus was
on conservation of disk space. Folks who ran news servers didn't want the
"binaries" because they take up so much more disk space than simple text.
allow a site to accept those or not, depending on their space situation.

Fast forward to now. Usenet is still a text medium. But web sites have been
developed that host images, often for free. The practice now is to put a
web link in a Usenet post that leads to an image residing on one of those
image hosting services.

Two popular image hosting sites are Flikr (www.flikr.com) and WebShots
(www.webshots.com). There are others. The folks in rec.crafts.scrapbooks
use this method frequently, and many posters include a link to their main
image web page as part of their signatures.

For example, here is my beach scrapbook:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ginainva

So make yourself an album somewhere, and share your stamping. Then I'll
resolve to put mine online, too. :-)

Gina Bull
Network Systems
Information Technology and Communications
University of Virginia