OT - Child car seats

Old March 23rd 04, 03:57 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Default OT - Child car seats

I have been trying to check out the various regulations on children in
cars for our trip down I-95 and am now very confused. Over here in the
UK both boys (aged 4yo and 6yo) use child seats (made from polystyrene
with a fabric cover - hence light enough to bring as baggage) that use
the adult seatbelts rather than an integral 3 or 5 point harness. Are
these seats legal in the US and particularly in the states that I-95
runs through. I have looked at various sites on the internet and have
come away even more confused....

Can somebody help me, please?

Lizzy

PS Both boys are miniature Houdinis and would be most put out by going
back into what they would see as "baby" seats so would almost certainly
undo the buckles and be out in very short order.
--
Lizzy Taylor
Heywood, Lancashire, UK 53:36:00N 2:06:00E

Old March 23rd 04, 04:19 PM
JS

I have two children as well - a 20 month old and a 6 year old. The 6 year
old now rides in the backseat without a car seat, since our pediatrician
said he didn't need one anymore. He is tall enough that the seat belts fit
him properly without the booster we were using. He also couldn't unfasten
the booster to get out while being dropped off at school, and was quite
embarassed for his friends to see him in a car seat. The younger child has
a large seat with the 5 point harness, and he needs it, since he tries to
get out constantly.

I don't think there are actual regulations on what kinds of seats to use for
older children. I see so many parents down here (central Florida, just off
of I-95) without any restraints on their children, that I am sure your seats
will be fine. Don't plan on renting them from a rental car company, either,
as what they gave us last year was filthy and broken.

If you think your children will be safe in the seats you currently own, then
you should be fine. You won't get pulled over by police for your safety
seats, anyway. That would be an additional fine tacked on after you were
pulled over for some other traffic violation.

I hope this helps, and that I don't start a flame war. In my opinion, as an
uptight mom, the largest problem with car seats is that people don't use
them. Drivers down here are completely without regard for other people's
safety, even their own children.

Jennifer in Florida

.. .

Old March 23rd 04, 04:25 PM
Mosiacquilter

Is this one of the sites you looked at ?

http://www.carseat.org/

Old March 23rd 04, 04:38 PM
Taria

The worst is when the kid is in the front passenger side
on the lap of an adult. It is like they use the kid
as an air bag.
They do have stops set up here sometimes in CA for checking.
Like DUI check points. Here it is the law to wear seatbelts
too. Can be over $100 for an adult not wearing a seat belt
and each person in the car is written up as a separate ticket
to the driver.
As long as your childen are restrained I doubt the authorities
would squabble about the seat itself. I would think car rental
companies have seats available for the area standards.
Taria

Old March 23rd 04, 04:40 PM
Roberta

I believe that at those ages - car seats are optional....what you have
should be good even if they aren't.

I have seen those sorts of car seats used with older children. I believe
that the states that do have seat laws for older children go by weight and
size (if they are too small for an adult car seat to be safe they should be
in a booster)

Here is a link...it shows ages and has links to each state.

I think what you describe would be considered a booster seat...
http://www.inventiveparent.com/state-laws.htm

Hope that helps

Roberta (in Md)

Old March 23rd 04, 05:13 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Mosiacquilter wrote:
Is this one of the sites you looked at ?

http://www.carseat.org/

Thanks for the link as I hadn't seen that one - probably suffering from
"brain fart" before I got there. It looks as if our boosters will
probably be OK, I shall have to check the labelling. I know they
conform to the safety standards for all the EU countries, and the boys
are used to their own seats and will stay in them which is important for
a long trip.

Lizzy

Old March 23rd 04, 05:14 PM
Kellie J. Berger

*Most* states here require car seats until the child is 4 yrs AND 40lbs ...
and most strongly suggest (if not require) children under 12 to be in the
backseat (b/c of airbags and the kids' size)...
if no one else finds a link for you to specific state requirements, I will
look this evening...

My kids used a little cloth adjustor for the seatbelt when they turned 4
until they were tall enough for the shoulder belt to fit properly. I got
ours at BabiesRUs, http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=218

Hope that helps!

Kellie

Old March 23rd 04, 05:15 PM
Lizzy Taylor

JS wrote:

If you think your children will be safe in the seats you currently own, then
you should be fine. You won't get pulled over by police for your safety
seats, anyway. That would be an additional fine tacked on after you were
pulled over for some other traffic violation.

Thanks for the info Jennifer - is your youngest 20 months old already?
Seems no time since you were expecting....

Lizzy

PS check your mailbox towards the end of April....g

Old March 23rd 04, 05:21 PM
Lizzy Taylor

Kellie J. Berger wrote:
*Most* states here require car seats until the child is 4 yrs AND 40lbs ...
and most strongly suggest (if not require) children under 12 to be in the
backseat (b/c of airbags and the kids' size)...

By law they have to ride in the back over here in the UK too, although
you can use the baby carriers in the front, also AFAIK all passenger
side European airbags can be disabled for such situations.

if no one else finds a link for you to specific state requirements, I will
look this evening...

Think I'm OK for that now.

My kids used a little cloth adjustor for the seatbelt when they turned 4
until they were tall enough for the shoulder belt to fit properly. I got
ours at BabiesRUs, http://www.safety1st.com/product.asp?productID=218

Good idea, I think I have at least one similar item, I'll throw it in
the luggage just in case.

Thanks for the help.

Lizzy

Old March 23rd 04, 05:25 PM
Taria

The Ford dealer gave us seatbelt extenders. If I remember right
seat/lap belts are for 5'4" and taller. The extender works for
shorter folks. They were free too. The guy told DH they are
one of the few free things in life We are all over 5'4"
so for the life of me I can't recall why we needed those things.
Maybe DD was still a tad under that at the time.
Taria