newbie questions

Old December 26th 03, 06:05 PM
Umberto Ramirez

Default newbie questions

I'm ready to get started in polymer clay, but I have a few questions
(sorry if they seem ignorant) - I do plan on buying some books that
will hopefully also answer these questions, but any help is appreciated:

Does the clay change color (get lighter, darker, etc.) if it is baked
properly? Will sunlight fade clay or make it brittle/dry it out?

What is a good mold release (I was thinking maybe cornstarch?,
armorall?, wax paper? plastic wrap?)?

Is there anything about working with clay that can be harmful to pets?

Does the clay stick to itself before baking, or I do I need an adhesive?

What adhesives will (or will not) work in attaching paper or other
materials after baking? Will self-adhesive laminates stick to baked
clay?

Thanks for any help . . .
Old December 28th 03, 02:57 PM
Jayzor

Umberto Ramirez wrote:

Does the clay change color (get lighter, darker, etc.) if it is baked
properly? Will sunlight fade clay or make it brittle/dry it out?

Some clays change a bit during the baking process, mostly they go a
smidgen darker. A lot depends upon the brand and the color. I'd say
that I generally have no problems with this. I'm not sure about fading
in sunlight.

What is a good mold release (I was thinking maybe cornstarch?,
armorall?, wax paper? plastic wrap?)?

Corn starch is good. Another item that works beautifully: Armor-all.
You can find this in most department stores in the automotive section.

Is there anything about working with clay that can be harmful to pets?

I can speak to issues regarding birds, but dogs and cats, yest.

It is not good for people to eat polymer, so I suspect pets shouldn't
eat it either. I have a very stupid cat that eats anything, but he has
not eaten clay. I guess he doesn't like the smell...

Fumes from burning clay are also bad for humans, so I suspect that you
don't want pets exposed to these either.

Does the clay stick to itself before baking, or I do I need an adhesive?

Generally, two pieces of raw clay adhere to each other if you apply a
small amount of pressure. If you adhere baked to unbaked, or if you
want to be doubly sure they stay together, you can apply a bit of the
lquid polymer clay as a "glue."

What adhesives will (or will not) work in attaching paper or other
materials after baking? Will self-adhesive laminates stick to baked
clay?

There are some special transfer/decal papers on the market that can be
run through copiers and printers. Most people apply these to raw clay,
but maybe it would work on baked clay, I do not know. You can also
apply transfers directly from a many copiers directly onto raw clay with
alcohol. Maybe someone else can help with the self-adhesives...and
specifically with baked clay questions.

jayne

Old December 29th 03, 06:02 PM
Sjpolyclay

Does the clay change color (get lighter, darker, etc.) if it is baked
properly? Will sunlight fade clay or make it brittle/dry it out?

Clay colors with a translucent base darken during baking. Avoid this by adding
white to opaque the color a bit--it only takes a little chunk. Some baked
colors ARE fugitive in sunlight, such as purples and reds. This pertains to
permanent outdoor pieces, NOT to jewelry worn during daylight hours!!

Is there anything about working with clay that can be harmful to pets?

Clay that is eaten is not TOXIC, but can form intestinal blockages, as do
rubber bands, etc...so try to keep from serving them up to your pets. Or to
your friends!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com