Fool proof serger?

Old February 17th 05, 04:03 PM

Default Fool proof serger?

I have a Hobbylock 788 or something like that- and I feel that I have
to mess with it a LOT! to get it to work. something is always getting
messed up and yesterday it swallowed some fabric and jabbed holes in it
with the arm that holds one of the looper threads. Most annoying.

Any suggestions for a versatile serger that is easy to use? that does
cover hems? that has dials that let it do rolled hems? (mine has
dials that spin and affect nothing and my local shopkeeper was not
helpful when I took it in recently. In fact, all he ever suggests is a
full service!)

what serger do you have that you love?

Kate, mom to Ursula (10), Sage (7.5) and Benno (4!)
http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~koli...f-formula.html
Looking for a thinking moms list? see
http://listserv.uts.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/parent-l

Old February 17th 05, 04:15 PM
She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston

I've got a Bernina Funlock 007D - 4 thread, dif feed, 2 and 3-thread
flatlock and rolled hem, but no coverstitch. Have also used Janomes -
wouldn't touch one with a bargepole again by choice

In article .com, of
http://groups.google.com uttered

--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo
Old February 17th 05, 05:28 PM
Cynthia Spilsted

Kate: It sounds like your knives are either dull or need adjusting because
otherwise the looper arms would not be snarling in the fabric otherwise. No
dial should spin and do nothing: there are tension dials that affect the
threads passing through to the loopers and needles and you should see a
definite difference when you adjust them.
My first piece of advice is to thoroughly clean, vacuum & blow your serger.
Then oil in the necessary places (refer to your manual for this one - it's
basically all moving parts) and take some dental floss to your thread
tension disks to ensure that there is no lint clogging them. Change your
needles and check sharpness of blades and blade width settings. If blades
are dull either replace them or take them to a local saw shop that can
sharpen them for you.
Second piece of advice is to thread each path with a different colour of
thread and run some scrap fabric through to test your tensions and sewing
integrity. Adjust tensions and try again. If it is still not working, then
you'll need to take it in for a full service as your timing is probably out.
Good luck!
Cynthia
oups.com...

Old February 17th 05, 06:08 PM
Kate Dicey

I have a Hobbylock 788 or something like that- and I feel that I have
to mess with it a LOT! to get it to work. something is always getting
messed up and yesterday it swallowed some fabric and jabbed holes in it
with the arm that holds one of the looper threads. Most annoying.

Any suggestions for a versatile serger that is easy to use? that does
cover hems? that has dials that let it do rolled hems? (mine has
dials that spin and affect nothing and my local shopkeeper was not
helpful when I took it in recently. In fact, all he ever suggests is a
full service!)

what serger do you have that you love?

Kate, mom to Ursula (10), Sage (7.5) and Benno (4!)
http://systems.cs.colorado.edu/~koli...f-formula.html
Looking for a thinking moms list? see
http://listserv.uts.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/parent-l

I have two: the Big One is a Huskylock 910. Eats anything, including
pins, but did have a dicky fit at some bridal satin: the lint did a
sponge on the oil and it seized, needing a serious disemboweling! I was
in the middle of a job, so had to nip out and get serger number two, the
Little One. This is a 4 thread Toyota, and a perfect little gem, if
limited in certain ways...

The Huskylock 936 does cover stitch, but the 910 doesn't. It does to
the rolled hems in two or three threads, with the flick of a lever and
the alteration of the tension. To make the Toyota do rolled hems, I
have to change the stitch plate, which is a skiddle, but it does 3
thread rolled hems perfectly once you do this. The rolled hems are as
good as the Huskylock's 3 thread ones.

You can see some of the things I've got up to with them on my web site,
and if you look at the machines list, you'll get a closer look at the
machines themselves.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old February 17th 05, 06:43 PM
CySew

Cynthia has the correct advice, IMHO. I had the 776, which the 788 is the
upgrade that does blind hems, I think, but gave it to DD at Christmas. She
has decided to once again start sewing, something that has been on the back
burner since college, a career in finance, her wedding and three children.
I loved the machine and the only time I had a problem was when it needed a
new upper knife, which I couldn't figure out how to install. I don't think
very highly of one Pfaff dealer so I went to another store and the man
replaced it while I waited at a nominal charge.
Emily

Old February 18th 05, 10:41 AM
Circe

IMHO the best overlocker in the world is a Babylock evolve.. it looks
terrifying, but it is THE EASIEST THING TO USE THERE IS.. I have had
several ' normal' overlockes & gave up in despair, because you have to
thread them in a special order, they are fiddley and not user
friendly.. the Evolve threads itself, you can do it in any order & it
does every type of stich you can think of ( well... that I can think
of.. maybe you know better ... Hahah!)
Look into it.. it is a dream.. the serger for dummies...

Old February 18th 05, 01:43 PM
romanyroamer

I know some of you don't like Janomie's but I love them! I have a costume
hire business and make all the costumes. My Janomie has stood up to
everything. It overlocks really heavy and thick materials without a worry.
Rolled hems are a breeze.Lycra sews wonderfully. It is an easy machine to
use.
I won a Viking overlocker and hate it! It hates heavy material, I'm always
having to fiddle with knobs.It doesn't have a built in waste catcher.I have
found it very temperamental!..........Amelia
oups.com...

Old February 18th 05, 03:18 PM
liz hall

I agree they are streets ahead of the rest and I have had Bernina as well.
Liz

Serger and quilting The Laws Quilting 2 December 27th 04 07:48 PM
OT - used serger NinaJ Quilting 25 October 7th 04 04:04 PM
sewing garment seams with a serger Ann Pillman Sewing 8 March 31st 04 09:07 AM
Favorite Serger stitch Survey shereesews Sewing 3 January 8th 04 10:36 PM
Serger Progect Book. 56 Great serger ideas! madhatress Marketplace 0 July 31st 03 01:48 AM