Half inch binding

Old September 17th 07, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Half inch binding

I have always made my bindings a quarter inch, and I have decided that
the quilt I am working on should have a half inch binding.

Before I cut the binding fabric, I need to know the best way to attach
the binding.

My question is...when I stitch the binding to the quilt, do I line up
the edges of the folded
binding to the edge of the quilt and sew a half inch seam?

Or line up the edges of the binding to a line a quarter inch from the
edge and sew a quarter inch
seam?

Ann

Old September 17th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

My question is...when I stitch the binding to the quilt, do I line up
the edges of the folded
binding to the edge of the quilt and sew a half inch seam?

Or line up the edges of the binding to a line a quarter inch from the
edge and sew a quarter inch
seam?

The first way, unless you have a shortage of fabric and there is no
other way, but it is much tricker to keep accurate. I mostly do wider
bindings, I use a little less fabric than a lot of places suggest, so to
do the standard 1/4 inch binding, I cut 2 inch strips, for 1/2 inch,
I'd do 3 1/2 inch strips, I only allow 1/8 for the thickness of the
batting and another 1/8 to go past the machine stitched line.

Cheers
Anne
Old September 17th 07, 05:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Ann, I've seen this discussed here but simply don't remember the solution.
Why don't you make yourself a trial quilt - a 6" square of backing, batting
and top using just anything. That ought to be plenty. See what works
including turning a corner. Polly

. ..

Old September 17th 07, 08:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

I normally teach a standard 1/2" binding to first time
quilters. I cut 3.25" strips and sew half inch seams with
the raw edges of the folded binding fabric and the trimmed
quilt aligned. The "extra" 1/4" allowas for the folds to
take the binding to the back and wrap tightly to just meet
the machine stitching line. As luck would have it, the
walking foot I use gives a very good 1/2" seam when lined up
to the edge of the fabric.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o o o

oups.com...
:

Old September 17th 07, 02:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy[_2_]

Boofhead Donut Rasputinhttp://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
catsatararatATyahooDOTcomDOTau

wrote in message

oups.com...
:I have always made my bindings a quarter inch, and I have
decided that
: the quilt I am working on should have a half inch binding.
:
: Before I cut the binding fabric, I need to know the best
way to attach
: the binding.
:
: My question is...when I stitch the binding to the quilt,
do I line up
: the edges of the folded
: binding to the edge of the quilt and sew a half inch seam?
:
: Or line up the edges of the binding to a line a quarter
inch from the
: edge and sew a quarter inch
: seam?
:
: Ann
:

i do the binding like Cheryl teaches. sometimes for a table runner,
i'll not do a binding but sew around the edges (inside out), turn and
stitch up the opening after quilting. That way there is no bulk when
the runner lies on the table.
amy

Old September 17th 07, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have always made my bindings a quarter inch, and I have decided that
the quilt I am working on should have a half inch binding.

Before I cut the binding fabric, I need to know the best way to attach
the binding.

My question is...when I stitch the binding to the quilt, do I line up
the edges of the folded
binding to the edge of the quilt and sew a half inch seam?

Or line up the edges of the binding to a line a quarter inch from the
edge and sew a quarter inch
seam?

People do it both ways. I line up the edge and sew the half inch seam
because it's less thinking on my part, and that's a very good thing.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old September 17th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Depends.

You can do the first method - line up the edges and sew a 1/2 inch seam
if......your quilt ends in a plain border. Sure, you can do it on a
pieced quilt with no border but then you have no outside edge points :-)

Old September 17th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Marcella Peek" wrote in message
Depends.

You can do the first method - line up the edges and sew a 1/2 inch seam
if......your quilt ends in a plain border. Sure, you can do it on a
pieced quilt with no border but then you have no outside edge points :-)

Unless you trimmed the batting and backing to be 1/2" from the edge points.

Old September 17th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

In article ,
"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

Unless you trimmed the batting and backing to be 1/2" from the edge points.

Yeah, but you'd have to be logical and actually plan these things in
advance :-)

marcella
Old September 17th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Kathy Applebaum" wrote:

Unless you trimmed the batting and backing to be 1/2" from the edge
points.

Yeah, but you'd have to be logical and actually plan these things in
advance :-)

You have a point there!