beginner to glazes

Old March 8th 05, 03:28 PM
TravNo9

Default beginner to glazes

I want to glaze a bowl so it will hold water. Do I need to use a high fired
glaze?
any suggestions for what brand name to use.

Old March 8th 05, 06:15 PM

The glaze used depends upon the firing temperature of the bowl. A
low-fire clay fired to high-temperature will melt into a puddle on the
kiln shelf which is hard to remove.
If you are unsure whether the piece is high-fire it would be best to
use a low-fire glaze (and have it fired to the correct temperature of
the glaze) to prevent melt-down.

Old March 8th 05, 07:26 PM
annemarie

wrote in message
oups.com...
The glaze used depends upon the firing temperature of the bowl. A
low-fire clay fired to high-temperature will melt into a puddle on the
kiln shelf which is hard to remove.
If you are unsure whether the piece is high-fire it would be best to
use a low-fire glaze (and have it fired to the correct temperature of
the glaze) to prevent melt-down.

But you reallys should know the correct firing temp for your clay, because
if you overfire it, yes it could melt, if it is underfired it will be
fragile and part of waterproofing is about the clay vitrifying as well as
the glaze.
It is best to go to classes and learn the whole process and from beginning
to end.

Old March 10th 05, 02:12 PM
TravNo9

Thanks for your info. I signed up for a class in April.
Kathy

Old March 10th 05, 09:57 PM
Eddie Daughton

Good book
"Glazes and Glazing Techniques" by Greg Daly.... Best i've found, or "The
Potter's Pallette"
Hugs
Eddie

Old March 11th 05, 12:08 AM
Steve Mills

Alas the Potters Palette is out of print, though it might be found on a
second hand book site.
Greg Daly is still available.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , Eddie
Daughton writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old March 11th 05, 12:21 PM
Steve Mills

Correction to this. It appears The Potters Palette IS available in
America. It certainly isn't in the UK; the publishers here tell us it is
no longer in print.

Steve

In article , Steve Mills
writes

"TravNo9" wrote in message
Thanks for your info. I signed up for a class in April.
Kathy

--
Steve Mills
Bath
UK

Cone 6 Glazes WITHOUT Gertsley Borate? dkat Pottery 23 July 20th 04 03:50 AM
metallic glazes MIKandCOL Pottery 0 January 17th 04 01:13 AM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM