Another prayer quilt

Old January 23rd 05, 08:40 PM
Kim E

Default Another prayer quilt

Some of you may remember that my church started a new ministry called
Prayers & Squares. Information about the organization can be found at
www.prayerquilt.org. Quilts are made for a person needing comfort.
Ties are put in, but are not tied. People say a prayer for the
recipient and tie a knot. When the quilt is received, every knot
represents a prayer said specifically for that person.

I just finished a quilt for a girl at church named Kristin. Kristin
and her boyfriend were in a serious car accident on Dec 30. Her
boyfriend had a mild concussion and some bumps and bruises. Kristin
cracked C2 (this is where Christopher Reeve's spinal cord was damaged),
but has no spinal damage!! In order to protect her spinal cord from
the rough edges of the vertebre, she is in a nasty collar - a hard
plate under her chin attached to a harness around her chest. The
collar keeps her neck immobile. She will have to wear this incredibly
uncomfortable thing for a minimum of 3 months. However, she is able to
breathe on her own, move all 4 limbs, and even walk around. Although
she is incredibly uncomfortable, it is better to wear this collar than
to risk permanent paralysis.

While Kristin was in the hospital, I asked her mother what her favorite
colors are. Pink & burgandy. I had wanted to try the Mary's Triangles
technique from Sally Schneider's books and this seemed like the perfect
opportunity. Other than the burgandy outer border and the binding
fabric, everything came from my stash!
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kimene...news/my_photos

The leader of our Prayers & Squares group made a quilt for Kristin's
boyfriend, Brandon. Brandon feels incredibly guilty that he was
driving and Kristin was so badly hurt.

The leader and I have a difference of opinion over the size of the
quilts and therefore the number of knots. My quilts are about 50 x 65
inches, while hers are considerably smaller. I think the quilt should
be big enough to wrap up in. I do some machine quilting to help hold
the quilt together rather than relying solely on the ties. Oh well,
what matters is that the quilts and their prayers do their comforting.

We are all supposed to find where God wants us to serve and do it
wholeheartedly. I have found my place.

Kim

Old January 23rd 05, 09:59 PM
Louise

Kim, the quilt is beautiful. I'm so sorry for Kristin that you had to make
it for her under these circumstances, but I hope it brings comfort to her
during this incredibly difficult time in her life.

--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

ups.com...