Question re joining quilt as you go blocks

Old January 18th 05, 05:05 PM
smudge in oz

Default Question re joining quilt as you go blocks

I've dipped in and out of this group over the past three or four years
(mostly lurking). Delighted to see so many familiar names each time -
love the roll call. Need to find a few hours to read through it all!!

I would like to quilt blocks separately (so a hand quilting project is
more portable) but wonder at the options for joining the blocks after
quilting, i.e. the pros and cons of the various methods. Also
suggestions for dealing with adding borders...??

Looking forward to the supportive and informed replies that I have come
to appreciate in this group.

BTW - I'm Connie from Sydney, Australia. Smudge comes from a friend who
announced gleefully when I was married that I had just become a
"Constant Smudge" (Constance being my "formal" first name!!). I'm about
a month away from my 59th birthday, work full time as a consultant in
teaching English as a second language to children in Kindergarten to
Grade 6. I have 4 children - sons 27, 24 & 17; and a daughter 22. QIs
are currently a tabby cat (with some oriental cat there I'm sure) and
what we bought as a miniature fox terrier (with very long, spindly
legs!!). Originally from Toronto in Canada, married an Aussie on the
return lap of his big trip OS (he was away for 6 years) and settled
here in 1971.

Quilting for around 10 years, but seem to have more projects on the go
than finished... Took part in 9 patch swaps a few years ago and loved
them but had to drop out when postage suddenly became prohibitive
(minimum of $7.50 for each squishy envelope with 3 - 6" squares
enclosed).

Smudge in Oz

Old January 18th 05, 06:01 PM
Diana Curtis

Nice to meet you, Smudge!
I have only used the method where one sews the fronts of the quilted blocks
by machine then whipstitched the batt together, then tediously sewed the
backs together. I have no doubt that there are better ways and that others
will explain them and their benefits to you, I just couldnt reisist saying
howdy!
Diana

--
Weird people need beads, too
oups.com...

Old January 18th 05, 06:40 PM
Cow Whisperer

I really like to join blocks that I have already done the quilting on. It
does probably waste a bit of batting and backing fabric as I cut those
larger than the top piece, do the quilting and then trim. As for joining, I
sew the top pieces together, right sides together and 1/4 inch seam, then on
the back I fold over one seam 1/4 inch and do a blind hem stitch to close
the seam. If there is considerable distance between the seam and the most
outer area of quilting on the block, I sorta whip the batting pieces
together. Oh, and all my sewing is done by hand, rather than sewing
machine. This is probably clear as mud, right? All this can be done in my
LazyBoy! and I am spoiled (I have 24 tops that are waiting for the frames
but I choose to quilt the ones I can do in my lap instead. I have a good
friend who quilts all her quilts in the bock-by-block method. Hope this
explains a little. Email me if I can help.
Cow Whisperer

Old January 18th 05, 08:36 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Diana Curtis" wrote:

Nice to meet you, Smudge!
I have only used the method where one sews the fronts of the quilted blocks
by machine then whipstitched the batt together, then tediously sewed the
backs together. I have no doubt that there are better ways and that others
will explain them and their benefits to you, I just couldnt reisist saying
howdy!
Diana

Piggybacking here. When I first started quilting I used a
quilt-as-you-go method -- one that is very clearly explained in Georgia
Bonesteel's books. Her method worked well for me, and I might still be
using it if I hadn't started getting impatient to see the effect of the
finished top. g
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1
Old January 19th 05, 02:59 AM
Marlys in Indiana

These are several sites that I found on the Internet. I have made three
using the all-machine-method of joining the blocks with sashing but I
can no longer find the website where I found it. The second website
listed below is similar to the method that I used.

http://www.secretsof.com/content/624

http://www.treadleon.net/quiltshop/j...s/joining.html

You can see how mine turned out at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/marletts
They are the ones that are titled Hailey's, Hannah's, and Angel's.
Hope this helps.
Marlys in Indiana

Old January 19th 05, 02:31 PM
Listpig

You might want to consider Sharon Peterson's method from the Reversible
Quilting book, even if you're not doing quilt as you go by machine (which is
her core issue).

Essentially it involves sewing on what look like tiny bindings, so that you
then don't have anything to turn under, what flips over to the next block is
a finished edge (that you whipstitch as though it were a binding). That's
for the second side; first side gets similar looking strips which actually
have their edges sewn down by machine to both sides. (think of a double fold
seam binding, flattened out so that it has folded bits under both sides.)

An abysmal explanation, but her book explains it ever so much better.

--pig

On 1/18/05 11:05, in article
, "smudge in oz"

Old January 19th 05, 03:47 PM
Allyson Brown

Hi Smudge,
Don't have a quilting answer for you.....but I wanted to say HI and wave
madly from one hour west of Toronto!!!! I have lived in TO off and on
through my life, but now am in Guelph.
Darn, you're missing quite a snowstorm today, aren't you sad!! ya, right.
Big hellos from SW Ontario,
allyson, freshly crowned queen of something or other

Old January 20th 05, 11:08 AM
smudge in oz

Hi Sandy. I know what you mean about wanting to see the finished
effect... Only problem with me is that I know it would take me forever
to tackle quilting a top in one piece - even by machine...
Smudge in Oz

Old January 20th 05, 11:10 AM
smudge in oz

Thanks Diana for not resisting the urge to say howdy (am i showing my
age if I say i tend to link howdy with doody?). I had a feeling that
joining the blocks is going to be a tedious affair but think it's about
the only way my UFOs can become completed projects!!
Smudge in Oz

Old January 20th 05, 11:13 AM
smudge in oz

Thanks Cow Whisperer. While I would dearly love to think that I would
sit at my machine and rip through quilting completed tops, I know me
too well to think that would happen! Your instructions are pretty clear
(I think) and I'd probably do the joining by hand as well - at least
the initial strips. Maybe I need to invest in a LazyBoy...
Smudge in Oz

Snowball Quilt Block Question Shirley.Caylor Quilting 9 June 11th 04 12:15 AM
What would you do with 30 year old quilt blocks? Autumn Quilting 9 February 27th 04 11:49 PM
Survey question about quilt shows Natalie Quilting 35 February 13th 04 05:25 PM
New Quilt Blocks Cathy Marketplace 0 January 25th 04 01:21 PM
student quilt update and a question Joy Quilts Quilting 6 August 21st 03 07:33 PM