Any knitters?

Old November 4th 03, 07:22 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

if you add 3- 3.5 inches it will be enough
mirjam
ryn) wrote:

I was told yesterday that you take his chest measurement and add 8 inches to
get your finished product. Does that soundright to you?

Some of that depends on the cut of the sweater, and if your guy likes things
snug or loose!

My guy can't stand big bulky sweaters, so I usually don't make his more than
6" bigger than his chest measurement.

All the work that goes into a sweater, he'd bloody well better wear the thing
when I'm done! lol

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)

Old November 4th 03, 11:52 PM
Joan Erickson

BDS2pds wrote:

inches but rather only shows the finished width of the sweater. To add to the
misery it is shown as a woman's sweater but the finished sizes show a small as
already 41 inches which is 3 or 4 more inches than my other patterns !

I wonder if this pattern was designed to fit *over* other clothes,
rather than worn by itself, more like a jacket??? That might account
for the extra width. I haven't felt this yarn lately and if it's an
itchy one you may not *want* it against your skin. Just a thought....
--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are old and rich."
- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old November 5th 03, 04:06 AM
Liz Hampton

Since we're in a yarn frame of mind, I have a question about afghans.
Someone in the library today was a little cool (we went from "Fire Season"
to winter within a week) and was wearing his jacket as he was sitting in one
of our comfy chairs reading. I mentioned that I had an afghan or two at
home that I could bring in for patron use. The lady I work with thought it
was a nice idea, but wondered if we should wash it between patrons. She
said that she herself would hesitate to use an afghan that someone else may
have used. I'm not talking about curling up on a bed when you're sick, I'm
just talking about a lap blanket to use while sitting in a chair. What do
you guys think? Would you use something like that in a small, rural public
library or would you worry about cooties? OH. This would be in the adult
section of the library, on the opposite side of the building at the kids
section, so there is little likelihood of little people using it as a hanky
for runny noses. That would definitely be gross. :-)))
Liz from Humbug

Old November 5th 03, 08:29 AM
CASin43

I have very many aran patterns. Just tell me what chest sizeand send me your
sanil mail and I'll post to you.

Carol-Ann
10 miles NW of London England
Old November 5th 03, 11:47 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 11/4/03 11:06 PM, in article , "Liz
Hampton" wrote:

[...]

While, it wouldn't bother me, I am sure there are those that it would.
Cooties are the mind of the beholder!
Cheryl

Old November 5th 03, 11:58 AM
Caryn

I mentioned that I had an afghan or two at
home that I could bring in for patron use. The lady I work with thought it
was a nice idea, but wondered if we should wash it between patrons. She
said that she herself would hesitate to use an afghan that someone else may
have used.

Perhaps it could be sprayed with lysol or someother germ killing spray between
uses, rather than getting all out washed?

Just a thought....before coffee...so it may be totally out there!

Old November 5th 03, 12:07 PM
BDS2pds

I am rather picky likely but no I would not use it...
Old November 5th 03, 12:09 PM
BDS2pds

I have very many aran patterns. Just tell me what chest sizeand send me your
sanil mail and I'll post to you.
Thanks so much Carol-Ann but the misery is over and I finally got one. I will

be working on it hard and long now....this homemade christmas may kill me !

Old November 5th 03, 01:27 PM
Alison

I find this really amusing - are we in the same country g? Here in
NY there are at least 4 good knitting shops, 2 needlepoint, 0 cross
stitch. I am teaching myself to knit on multiple needles, I want to
try socks.

Alison

On 03 Nov 2003 22:18:34 GMT, (BDS2pds) wrote:

I now need an aran knit cardigan pattern for a man . I finally was able to find
the oiled wool today and now can start this xmas present if someone can find me
a pattern. Does no one knit any more? No knitting shops or hardly any yarn
out there today which really shocked me.

Old November 5th 03, 02:44 PM
Bungadora

(BDS2pds)
.....this homemade christmas may kill me !

Been there.

One Christmas my sister and I cooperated on gifts. She was supposed to whip up
4 or 5 sweaters on her new knitting machine, and I would hand knit the collar
and cuffs. Despite "not taking any time at all" she didn't give them to me to
finish until the morning of the car ride to Saskatchewan (about a 10 hour
drive) at Xmas. So I sat and knit the entire way and the next day to get things
done. This was all in fairly fine yarn so it took a while. Then she wanted the
cuffs in a different color. Then I had to re-knit the cuffs on one sweater
because the sleeves too long. By the time everything was done, my hands and
forearms were stiff and aching.

That was the last time we cooperated on gifts.
Dora