Alex Anderson coming to AZ

Old March 10th 04, 04:04 AM
Sk8eraunt

Default Alex Anderson coming to AZ

A friend told me that Alex Anderson will be in Scottsdale this Saturday. She
called the quilt store where Alex will be doing a presentation and book signing
and was told that reservations are required and it will cost $40 to see her.
Is this the normal price to see Alex? Has anyone ever gone to see her and if
so, did you feel you got your money's worth?

Thanks,
kaila
Old March 10th 04, 04:53 AM
KJ

wow. $40? That seems a little steep for a presentation and book signing.
I think Alex seems like a very personable woman and has been instrumental in
bringing quilters and quilting into the limelight. But has she had any
innovative designs or techniques of her own that would warrant her celebrity
status other than being the "face" for TV quilting? I'm sure I'll catch
some flak for saying that, but I will give her major credit for identifying
the "forces" in quilting and giving them a forum for exposure. Her show
reaches many quilters who may never have a chance for a class from one of
those famous teachers, and that, as someone else says, "is a good thing".
But my first impression is that I don't think I would spend $40, just to see
her. OK, let the fur fly.....I'm going to bed. :-)

Kathyl yup, that's an L

Old March 10th 04, 05:04 AM
shelly

Nope! $40 will buy a lot of fabric. lol That signature will collect dust and
fade but my quilt will live on and on.
Shelly

Old March 10th 04, 12:13 PM
I.E.Z.

"KJ" wrote in message
[...]

They'd have to pay ME to sit through anything with Alex Anderson. I've
never made it more than ten minutes into her show. Just something about
her and all the giggling, and talking over the guest. She might be a nice
person, I don't know, but .....
Eleanor Burns is the one who got me into quilting and, surprisingly, ever
since I got used to her, I don't mind her at all - as long as she doesn't
have a guest. When she has a guest she is just as gigglingly annoying as
Alex. Maybe if Alex would do a show by herself once in a while. Has she
ever?

Iris

Old March 10th 04, 12:46 PM
Mtsny0

I saw Alex last year at G Street Fabrics in Va. for $15. It was a trunk show,
showcasing her journey as a quilter. Very enjoyable. But there was a tie-in to
Bernina. Not that it turned into a sales pitch at all. I do think the whole
road trip was sponsored by Bernina, booking her to speak at their biggest
dealers. And G Street qualifies.

GStreet gave a 20%-25% discount on all purchases that evening, and there was
very long line for the book signing after the lecture.

Good for Bernina, good for G Street, good for Alex based on all the books she
sold that day and good for the attendees.

So if it's the same deal, then, yeah, $40 is a lot of money.

Usually, if she is being brought BY a LQS into the shop (where there is limited
seating) as a speaker, then the higher cost would not be so unreasonable. The
shop (or guild) would have to recoup the costs of having her - speaking fee and
travel expenses. Is she also giving workshops?

And does the $40 include a copy of the book or a discount on purchases made at
the shop for that day?

-Michele

Old March 10th 04, 01:33 PM
Louise

Kaila, I think I'd call the store myself to try to find out more
information. $40 seems a bit steep, but if it's a half-day or whole-day
session and it includes a technique and/or project that you'd like to learn
more about or you're going to get a private quilt show, it may be worth it.
On the other hand, if it's a book signing and a 15-minute presentation, then
the price is a bit high.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old March 10th 04, 01:44 PM
Louise

Iris, I think she has done one or two shows by herself. Early in her series,
I recall one that she did on hand quilting. I think there was another one
later where she taught viewers how to make a quilt using either a basket
block or star block (or maybe she did both in a couple of shows, I'm really
not sure). She also has had a couple of short teaching segments during the
last series or two where at the end of a show she'll have a viewer come on
to ask a "how-to" question and then she demonstrates how to resolve their
problem. IMHO she's a pretty good teacher -- explains things clearly and is
professional about it. I can see a difference between her hostess persona
and her teacher persona.

As for me, I'm just glad we have Simply Quilts as an option. The more
options we have, the better for us!

Louise in Iowa
nieland4 at mchsi dot com

Old March 10th 04, 01:56 PM

I, for one, am here to put in a good word for Alex. She has really grown
and changed during her run, and I never miss her shows (tape them). She
was very gracious at Houston and posed for photos for anyone who wanted
one, me included. Bernina is in her corner now, so her value HAS to
increase. JMHO Nancycog in MD

Old March 10th 04, 02:53 PM
Taria

That's how I feel Iris. Alex puts me to sleep, literally.
I go back to Georgia Bonesteel in her early years. I think
I started watching her shows on PBS not long after I was married
in '80.
Taria

They'd have to pay ME to sit through anything with Alex Anderson. I've
never made it more than ten minutes into her show. Just something about
her and all the giggling, and talking over the guest. She might be a nice
person, I don't know, but .....
Eleanor Burns is the one who got me into quilting and, surprisingly, ever
since I got used to her, I don't mind her at all - as long as she doesn't
have a guest. When she has a guest she is just as gigglingly annoying as
Alex. Maybe if Alex would do a show by herself once in a while. Has she
ever?

Iris

OT Bubba Claus is coming to town! The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me Quilting 3 December 1st 03 02:53 PM
Northern Needle is coming back!!! news.iw.net Marketplace 0 August 5th 03 06:10 PM
Coming to Seattle Dr. Quilter Quilting 1 July 14th 03 11:41 PM
AD: Sylvie Lansdowne Head Over Heels workshop coming to Berkley, MI Dawn Christ Beads 5 July 4th 03 04:14 PM