OT Need diabetic & heart healthy foods help

Old January 7th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Need diabetic & heart healthy foods help

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 12:36:59 -0700, "Donna in Idaho"
wrote:

There are more than just sweets on the splenda website. Check it out!

I found BBQ sauce. Yippee!
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 7th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Debra, I feel kinda like you do. My DH weighs 123 # fully clothed including
shoes! Our nurse practitioner told me one time that I need to fatten him up
a little. I said, "How? You won't let him eat anything that will fatten
him up!" Not another word out of her about fattening him up.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

"Debra" wrote in message
On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 18:31:41 GMT, "Bonnie NJ" wrote:

My DH has both problems. This past year started him eating in a
completely
different way. Think lots of veggies and some fruit. Lots of broiled or
baked fish and chicken with a little lean beef. Low salt and splenda.
Whole grains, beans. Egg beaters or egg whites.

No white rice, white flour or regular pasta

Many recipes can be altered.

We started almost totally eliminating oil and grease from our diet at
least 5 years ago with those Forman type grills and an outdoor gas
grill. I can't remember when I've battered and fried anything in
grease in the old Southern tradition, long before we married though.
Because of the cost, we eat so little red meat that we actually get
serious cravings for it. Our fish preference is plain grilled salmon
with a sprinkling of black pepper but salmon is too pricey to eat
often. We eat so much chicken and turkey breast that I expect to grow
feathers someday. We raised our fiber content with whole grain breads
and other things long ago. DH loves Splenda and has been using it for
several years to sweeten his tea. Even his pancake/waffle syrup is
Splenda, but now I guess he shouldn't have pancakes or waffles at all.
Most of our salt intake is from hidden sources and we rarely add salt
to anything other than a potato, but potatoes are pretty much off the
menu now too.

We have already been doing most of the stuff suggested by the doctors
and hospital for years and evidently it hasn't helped at all or he
would not have clogged arteries and blood sugar problems today. I
feel like I have been killing him slowly with each meal I've made ever
since we got married. Right now I just keep thinking, "So what do I
feed him now? Plain canned tuna in water and raw celery three times a
day? But I can't do that either, he'd die of low blood sugar. "

Sorry about this post. I wrote a lot more, but deleted it because it
was just too much to expect anyone to read. I think I need to walk
into some empty woods and scream at the top of my lungs for awhile.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old January 7th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Sending huge hugs to you. I went thru 10 months of baked chicken, plain
taters, plain rice, NO BUTTER only indulgence was fish every other week,
and that was before the allergic reaction to milk. Saved my pancreas and I
didn't have to have any surgery for it. Had gotten the flu the day after
Christmas and it landed in my pancreas. Took them until the end of Feb to
figure out what was wrong.......I was on a LOT of meds until that Aug.
I ended up making 2 meals every time we ate--one for me and one for my
DH--we were NEWLY married--like the Sept before.......

Just know you CAN do it. Come here as often as you need to vent--that's what
we are here for. Those that don't want to read DO know how to hit delete.

Gentle Hugs
Butterfly

Old January 7th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

We have been buying it too. It does get gummier than regular pasta when
reheating for leftovers but that and the price are the only downside.
Taria

SNIGDIBBLY wrote:
I use that brand and love it.

Old January 7th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I feel your frustration Debra. DH had the heart attack in July.
(his 6 month 'warranty' about up) He never had a cholesterol problem
excepting a high normal reading 6 months before the HA. At that point
we changed our diet. He lost 20 lbs. and was feeling pretty good. I
can't figure out if he'd be dead had we not changed his diet or maybe
the change did him in? It is really frustrating. I haven't had to
deal with the diabetes so that makes things easier. Someone mentioned
that the dibetic diet should be a heart healthy one too. The
cardiologist told us to go vegetarian. We tried. We can't. Costco
has about the best prices on salmon. They have fresh, frozen and
canned. I keep it around and I think we may all die of lead poinsoning
or grow gills at some point. Cutting out the smoking and getting fit
will do him a world of good. DH here never smoked but I bet he was
asked 100 x's in the hospital if he did. I guess you just can't get
around bad genes. My fil lived to 86, my mil over 70. We have just
gotten to we do the best we can with diet, exercise and stress and
know we have to live what life we have and try to enjoy it. I hope
you can come to some sense of normalcy with the whole thing. (I am
still working on that, I am too young to be a widow too) There are
so many that are going through this. Ask here and someone will have the
answers. I finally got to talk to a nutritionist and that helped a bit
but seh didn't have the mircales I wanted. I was told to lighten up
a bit ; )
Hugs to you, Taria and a recovering Georgia pup

Old January 7th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thanks, Bonnie. I think my other half has tried it before and liked it.
(Or perhaps that was their sauce?)
I'll make some comments to him, since he's one of those "uncontrollable"
diabetics. They did just change his insulin a few months ago to a
once-a-day shot, and he knows at some point in the evening it will be in the
300's, but by morning it's between 60 and low 100's.
--
Carey in MA

"Bonnie NJ" wrote in message
ink.net...
Barilla Plus, it's a multigrain pasta with added fiber and protein and

Omega
3. Of course, it costs a little more but DH's blood sugar doesn't spike
after eating.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Bonnie, what do you substitute for regular pasta? A specific brand, or
homemade(which probably wouldn't be such an improvement except for
preservatives, due to the flour).
--
Carey in MA

Old January 8th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Thank you all for listening and your replies. Many of the web sites
you folks have posted have good recipes to try and good information to
learn from. Some of you cheered me a bit with your own experiences
too.

I think I need to lighten up a bit and try to take it in stride. It
seems we have been doing most things right and only need a few more
changes to DH's diet and add some exercise for his health. I think
I'm mostly having problems due to the stress of so many illnesses in
my family at once, including my own, and no real down time for
recovery. I'm working on it though.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 8th 06, 06:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 10:17:32 -0700, "Donna in Idaho"
wrote:

Debra, I feel kinda like you do. My DH weighs 123 # fully clothed including
shoes! Our nurse practitioner told me one time that I need to fatten him up
a little. I said, "How? You won't let him eat anything that will fatten
him up!" Not another word out of her about fattening him up.

My guy has to lose more. Thyroid problems caused some serious weight
problems in the past. The thyroid problem was found a few years ago
and his weight was finally going back down instead of up. I don't
think it will be a problem to lose now, though it is going to be slow.
We are hoping that he can lose enough to lower his various new meds.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old January 8th 06, 06:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 22:15:03 GMT, "Bonnie NJ"
wrote:

Hi Sharon,
I think it's the combination of diabeties and cardiac problems that call for
a special diet. Before DH left
hospital, after his by-pass surgery, he had to attend a class in nutrition.
All the do's and don'ts.

DH got the short version of only a diabetic diet while in hospital and
he didn't get any heart healthy diet info at all. I wasn't there
during most of the diet discussion so I feel totally lost for info.

The weird thing is that in the hospital diabetic wing/ward he was
being served huge amounts of starches (3 servings at one meal), plus
battered and fried meats dripping in gravy. The only green thing I
saw him served there was jello. Yet the nurses said it was the right
food trays being served to him.

I forgot to mention diary products. NonFat Milk. Low fat or no fat cheese
occasionally and yogurt is good. DH had it for the first time in hospital
and actually liked it - of course, he was starving at the time. Now he has
a small container every day with lunch.

Debra in VA
See my quilts at