this is bizarre!!! yes it is on topic

Old December 17th 05, 11:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default this is bizarre!!! yes it is on topic

again i dont care that much if they choose to shut down.
it just irks me now that their programing has somehow accessed my puter much
like a trojan horse.
you are correct in your comment re my views on the other post/thread.
oh well.
shrug.
jeanne
i just figured out something else here, thanks so much
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"D Curtis" wrote...
In this day and age, yes, it is odd to see people deliberately chose to
display their faith so boldly, however, bringing it here as a topic of
discussion and repeating your disbelief in their willingness to lose the
day's potential earnings is opposite of the "live and let live" attitude
you seem to want Christians to take towards you. Since their choice doesnt
negatively effect your life I find it odd you need to comment on it. To
quote your own words from the Paul Harvey thread "just live a good life by
your own standards and hope it works out for the best whatever the best
may be."
sdcjjkmnhjkfrikdekooofofk and thats all Meg has to say on the subject too.

Diana

Old December 18th 05, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Not here. They are closed, even in the malls.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

"Heather Michna" wrote in message
: Actually...any Chick-Fil-A that is in a mall, is open any day the mall
: is...Sundays included.
:
: "AliceW" wrote in message
: ...
: Wendy, you're absolutely correct! I forgot about them but they are
closed
: on Sunday. It wasn't that long ago that we had what were called "blue
: laws"
: which prohibited doing certain types of business on Sunday.
:
: http://www.snopes.com/language/colors/bluelaws.htm
:
: --
: Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
: http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/
: "Just about the time a woman thinks her work is done, she becomes a
: grandmother." Edward H. Dreschnack
:
:
:
: "frood" wrote in message
: ...
: : Calling it "bizarre" because they choose to honor their religion is a
: bit
: : harsh. There are other businesses who chose to do this, one of which
is
: a
: : rather prominant fast-food chain here in the States - Chik-Fil-A.
: Choosing
: : to put their Almighty God above the almighty dollar is not bizarre,
just
: a
: : way of practicing their religion.
: :
: : --
: : Wendy
: : http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
: : un-STUFF email address to reply
: :
: :
: :
: :
: : "nzlstar*" wrote in message
: : ...
: : http://www.wilmakarels.nl/sitemap.html
: :
: : could some of you who are now in saturday and others in sunday load
some
: of
: : the pages on this site and tell us what you get?
: : i think this is bizarre to say the least.
: : a revenue loss sadly as well.
: : cheers
: : jeanne
: : where its sunday, 11am, as i type this
: : --

Old December 18th 05, 12:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Your browser is displaying what the hosting server is allowing. They are
not directly interacting with your computer. Their web code must have
instructions to display a particular page depending on the date. I'm
assuming it's a "what if" statement, or a group of statements. There are
some sites that disable their back button so you can't leave the site by
using your back arrow and I disapprove of that practice, but I just use my
history and escape that way.

Considering the number of time zones, they had to put some effort into the
code to account for Sunday around the world. It is apparent that they took
the "no business on the Sabbath" very seriously. I should look at their
source code to see if I can figure out what they did, but it's probably not
in English.

Old December 18th 05, 01:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

heres the page that it takes you to no matter what page you load
as its my sunday here.
http://www.wilmakarels.nl/zondag.html
you try the site after midnight and see what you get.
its bizarre and a money loser.
money they could give to their church.

I have a lot of respect for people who think there's something
more important than profit.

I once heard a talk by an economic anthropologist who had gone to
study the way markets worked in an unusually Muslim-traditionalist
part of Turkey. He soon found that none of the usual assumptions
economists work with fitted the situation: these people weren't
in the least interested in making the largest possible profit, or
on occasions even *any* profit. There was no "market rate" for
goods since nobody was competing in such a way as to create one.
What they *were* doing was keeping a fairly happy, stable community
together by making sure nobody felt ripped off, and if throwing
money away was part of that, so be it.

And worrying about "money-losers" or making every minute into an
earning opportunity is pretty weird for a quilter. Economically
we're all Black Sea Muslims or Dutch Calvinists here.

Old December 18th 05, 01:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

well, I get what looks like a dictionary of quilting terms, with the
headings in English and the explanations in ?German?. it is Saturday at
5:20PM.
What are you getting that is so weird?

Cathy in Vancouver

Old December 18th 05, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Try looking on Sunday. All pages revert back to the home page saying
they don't work Sundays.

Dee in Oz

Old December 18th 05, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

again i dont care that much if they choose to shut down.
it just irks me now that their programing has somehow accessed my puter
much like a trojan horse.
you are correct in your comment re my views on the other post/thread.
oh well.
shrug.

In the standard IP protocol, the message you send to their server asking to
display their page contains a time hack. That time hack uses the time on
your computer. It is used to figue out if a packet has been hanging around
too long. If they get a time hack with Sunday included, their page will
default to the "Sunday" page. Its not really that difficult. Its also not
a trojan or a cookie. They are just using the message your computer sends
them.
In Nederland and Germany, its more than just church, its also family. They
believe with all their soles that the family should not be disturbed by work
on Sunday, this includes doing business. The fact that stores are open
means people will go to them and people, to remain competative, will have to
man them. Sometimes, you have to follow your beliefs and close the store.
That's what this woman is doing.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Old December 18th 05, 02:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Easy Jeanne. No trojans; just rather clever coding.

I used to write web pages back in the day (before java and perl and
bells and whistles). It takes a lot of effort to make your web page
behave in a certain way, like redirecting pages and pre-set formatting
and all.

I do not believe there is anything sinister going on with their page but
can't read the Dutch so can't read the source perfectly. What I do see
is a command to run a particular script "on zondag".

Anne in CA -- going off to recode my homepage to make Jeanne send me
squishies every time she clicks on ... oh, never mind ;-)

annerudolph AT comcast DOT net
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://www.frappr.com/rctq

nzlstar* wrote:
yes i did just that, changed the date here to wednesday.
all pages open fine now.
i did not allow any cookies to be put on my puter by them.
i did not allow any access to any info on my puter either.
the sunday page is not showing on my history either.
i just switched back to todays (sunday) date and refreshed the sunday page
and it still doesnt show in my history.
their program is reading the date on my computer not the time zone of my
isp.
this somehow feels a bit like a trojan horse.
oh yea, it is also overriding my 'stop' button and loading the page then
immediately reloads the sunday page on most of the pages, a few stopped tho.
what else are they accessing on my computer without permission?
is this all legal? ethical? moral?
i dont care if they shut down on sunday.
jeanne

Old December 18th 05, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Not in MD...at least not in Marley Station Mall...regardless of the mall
being open on Sunday, CHik-Fil-A was closed. Of course, that may have
changed, but ever since it opened , that was the way it was

"AliceW" wrote in message

Wendy, you're absolutely correct! I forgot about them but they are closed
on Sunday. It wasn't that long ago that we had what were called "blue
laws"
which prohibited doing certain types of business on Sunday.

http://www.snopes.com/language/colors/bluelaws.htm

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/
"Just about the time a woman thinks her work is done, she becomes a
grandmother." Edward H. Dreschnack

"frood" wrote in message
. ..
: Calling it "bizarre" because they choose to honor their religion is a
bit
: harsh. There are other businesses who chose to do this, one of which is
: rather prominant fast-food chain here in the States - Chik-Fil-A.
Choosing
: to put their Almighty God above the almighty dollar is not bizarre, just
: way of practicing their religion.
:
: --
: Wendy
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
: un-STUFF email address to reply
:
:
:
:
: ...

Old December 18th 05, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"off kilter quilter" wrote in message
Not in MD...at least not in Marley Station Mall...regardless of the mall
being open on Sunday, CHik-Fil-A was closed. Of course, that may have
changed, but ever since it opened , that was the way it was

Well, you can always go to Red Robin.

--
Frank Reid
(7 miles from Marley Station)

Posting ON Topic threads Tia Mary Quilting 0 October 22nd 05 08:44 PM
Not entirely off topic Louise Quilting 5 May 30th 04 02:07 PM
Gentle reminder - mark Off Topic messages OT Barbara Hass Needlework 7 May 15th 04 04:38 PM
Good Idea? (on topic ramblings) Karlee in Kansas Quilting 4 December 11th 03 08:44 AM
Off Topic Turns On Topic & Fabric Shopping Lisa Ellis Quilting 0 September 9th 03 01:30 AM