Poll - quilting rooms

Old February 10th 05, 02:50 AM
Polly Esther

When we first walked through our home, I kept thinking, "No way". Too, too
many problems. Then ! I saw what may have been intended by the architect as
a two-car garage and the owner used as a pool room. Ahhh, yes.
For those of you who take up the living room, dining room, den or
kitchen for quilting, this will make you smile. Our visitors always head
straight for the quilting room to see what's coming and going. There's just
something about quilting.
If I put food in the den or elsewhere, sometimes we can at least guide
some of the fellers out of here - but that doesn't always work.
No, no, no. I do not quilt for money. It would be like selling one of my
children. Of course, there have been times . . . Polly

frood wrote:

I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has

made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you

have a
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my

bedroom.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

Old February 10th 05, 02:52 AM
KJ

HI Lisa! Good to see you....it's been a while.

"Lisa Caryl" wrote in message
Hi Wendy,
I have always had a dedicated room for quilting in the houses we've lived
in. In our current and probably last house, I have a room in the basement
that DH says is about 10x22. I don't think I ever would have lived in a
house where I couldn't have room for my things. It's important to me and

DH
knows and respects that.

Most of my storage things and tables are hand me downs from friends and
family. I sew on a 50's style kitchen table that has all the leaves in it.

put a very thick piece of foam insulation (a freebie) on that, cut out a
spot for my sewing machine and covered it with about $2.00 worth of

contact
paper. Wa-la, the entire table is sewing machine height for mq'ing. I have
another 50's style kitchen table as my cutting table. I added plastic pipe
to raise the height and it's perfect for cutting. A friend gave us two 8
foot long tables that he didn't want to move, and I also raised them up
with plastic pipe. I use them for basting when they aren't coved in

'junque'
;-). Under the tables are rubbermaid bins for batting, pillow forms and
stuff like that.

For storage of fabric I bought big rubbermaid bins for the cotton, and

it's
sorted by color or type of fabric. The bins sit on an old entertainment
center that my SIL gave us. I did buy sets of plastic drawers for my cq
fabric. For books and magazines and beads, I have one partial board book
shelf and one shelf made from straight wooden boards, cinder blocks and
bricks. Not pretty but it works for me. The basement isn't finished, and

the
floor was really cold. We found large area rugs on clearance for $17 one

day
and I snapped up three of them. Makes it much easier to be down there in

the
winter!

Yes, I do quilt professionally. I've taught classes for about 6 years now.

have also given trunk shows to a few guilds, and I have taught away from

my
'home' shop a few times. I occasionally mq smallish quilts on my Bernina
for others. I used to write patterns for a local company until things went
uhm.....not to my liking. I've had a couple of things published in

magazines
and a book, and I'd like to get back to doing that again. I am supposed to
have a cq in a friends book that is due in May. We'll see.....the deadline
keeps getting postponed.

--
Lisa Caryl
http://www.picturetrails.com/quiltygurl

remove the obvious to reply

"frood" wrote in message
I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has

made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you

have
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my

bedroom.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

--
Wendy
"I could *so* save the world if somebody handed me superpowers." - Dawn
Summers
De-Fang email address to reply

Old February 10th 05, 02:53 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"frood" wrote:

I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have a
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my bedroom.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

I have a room for quilting and for my computer. It's small, but it's
mine. Before we moved here, I was sewing from a closet in our family
room. I'd love something larger, but I'll take what I can get, even
though I don't have room for a cutting table and trip continually over
my hoop. G

I quilt for pleasure! I've taught a couple of classes to my guild, but
those were strictly amateur and lots of fun.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old February 10th 05, 03:25 AM
melinda

frood wrote:
I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have a
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my bedroom.

Not any more, DS now has a bedroom my sewing stuff is piled, neatly, along
one wall of the dining room that was the dining room before DS arrived but
was originally the lounge room.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

I sew for pleasure, my sewing is quilting (very little so far) and clothes
I'm going to have to make DS's clothes this winter (southern hemisphere) so
they'll fit.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old February 10th 05, 03:44 AM
Ginger in CA

Presently I have "the back room", an uninsulated add-on room 7'x12'
(minus the backside of house's chimney) for sewing/computer/get-away.
In a few months DH will be tearing back of the house off to add-on an
apartment for DBU (Dear Batchelor Uncle), so my work room will be
moved, we think, to our old Airstream trailer Matilda in the backyard.
Once the add-on is completed, we'll figure out what my room will be.
I quilt for the pleasure and sanity it brings me, for charity and
friends.

Ginger in CA

Old February 10th 05, 03:58 AM
Marlys in Indiana

I'm another one of those who has taken over the spare bedroom due to the
empty nest situation. I have an old glass top table (former dining room
table)
that is 3x5ft on which I do all of my cutting and sewing. I have a serger
on
the sewing cabinet and a not too very large dresser that holds all of my
fabric
and thread and a small plastic rolling drawer cabinet that holds
miscellaneous
sewing items. I'm rather cramped in the bedroom with a full size bed in
there
also, but it's better than working elsewhere in the house and I don't have
put anything away at the end of each day that I work in there.
Sold only a few tablerunners and hotpads and make quilts and quilty things
for family members. Several ladies want me to teach them quilting but so
far haven't started anything in that line. I just enjoy quilting. Have
made most
of my clothes in the past, but seldom do that anymore since I retired.
Marlys in Indiana

Old February 10th 05, 04:04 AM
handmaiden

frood wrote:
I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has made
me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have a
room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

My answers -
No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my bedroom.

No, I do not make quilts professionally.

No, I don't have a room for my own, but my DS will eventually grow up
and move out so I can have his room. Meanwhile, I take over most of the
living room whenever I feel like it and the family just copes. (My
machine has been set up right behind my desk chair all week so I can do
both!) I cut on the floor on my good-sized mat, and store fabric all
over the place in the apt. although most of it is in the 3 drawer chest
in the living room along with bolts of asst fabrics and battings. Sewing
machine sits on top of the chest when not in use and the spare is in the
hall closet.

I generally don't quilt for money, but after sending off the wall
hanging to my friend in MS, I was asked to make a quilt for pay. Most of
my sewing is for pleasure, but I do make some custom costume pieces
(mostly ren-faire) for sale. I occasionally do Halloween costumes too,
though generally only when the wearer can't find what they want else
where. (6-foot-wingspan fairy wings that moved for example)
~handmaiden
Old February 10th 05, 04:10 AM
Julia in MN

frood wrote:
Do you have a
room for quilting?

I have a sewing/computer room, but it is small, so if I am doing lots of
cutting or basting a quilt or machine quilting anything larger than a
small baby quilt, I move out into the dining room. Pictures and more
info about my sewing room at
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/SewingRoom.html

Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
pleasure?

Just for pleasure.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 10th 05, 04:38 AM
Mary in Rock Island IL

I have a quilting room (also known as my lair) in the basement.
However, there is too much stuff on my table in there for basting. I
do that on our family meal table (which is in neither a kitchen or a
dining room so I'm not quite sure what to call it!). It does assure
that the table gets totally cleared and wiped off every so often.

I do not quilt for money.

Thanks for asking Wendy, the answers have been interesting.

Mary
Old February 10th 05, 04:42 AM
Denise Jameson in Ontario

Well, I'm lucky! I don't have a sewing ROOM! I have a sewing HOUSE!
Well, at least that's what DH tells me. We are retired, and we are
empty nesters, so we use the whole house as we like! Actually I do
have a sewing room in our basement...it's quite small but has lots of
shelves and a dresser, two large table tops, two teeny shelves (just
the width of a spool of thread) but VERY long... 8' each. In DH's
workshop he has set up an old ping pong table for me - this is where I
cut, and in the kids' old playroom, I have my Brother sewing machine
set into a large 3' x 6' table where I do my machine quilting. My
computer is right behind this table too. There's lots of floor space
in this room and this is where I pin baste my quilts and have my
design wall. I often lay blocks on the floor here too before moving
onto the next step of my quilting project. The TV room (next to this
room) has a very comfortable chair in front of the TV and I have a
good OTT light there for when I'm doing any hand sewing (applique, or
bindings, etc.) Like I said, I'm very lucky! :-) If I tidy up some
time soon, I'll take pics of my 'set-up'. If I have a complaint at
all, it's that the carpet is brown, and we also have dark wainscotting
down here. I hate brown and I would love to paint everything white,
and change the carpet, but we're doing some more pressing house
renovations right now.....our bathroom!!!

Oh, and no...I don't quilt for money!

Denise in Ontario, Canada

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 19:34:17 -0500, "frood"
wrote:

| I'm enrolled in a Quilt University class called Studio Makeover. It has made
| me start thinking about how people set up their quilting space. I'm
| wondering how many people have a room dedicated to their use. Do you have a
| room for quilting? Do you quilt/teach/write/etc for money? or just for
| pleasure?
|
| My answers -
| No, I do not have a room for quilting stuff. I use a corner of my bedroom.
|
| No, I do not make quilts professionally.

Piggie's Quilting Winter..... Listpig Quilting 9 October 1st 04 12:39 AM
beginning machine quilting Patti Quilting 10 August 22nd 04 12:33 AM
Help!! Hand Quilting P8nPal Quilting 6 July 19th 04 06:09 PM
In Today's News: Terrified Quilting Newbie breaks silence! Liz and Steve Ford Quilting 33 August 17th 03 04:51 AM
Quilting Thread question Carol Wolfe Quilting 9 July 15th 03 05:20 AM