Just how much fabric do you have????

Old September 15th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default UFOs was Just how much fabric do you have????

FIVE? Heck, if I had just five, I'd
consider them all in progress!! I have
maybe 30?? Not sure. PAT

Debra wrote:

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:14:53 +0200, "Jessamy" jessamy_thompson@_ilove
thecolour_orange.nl wrote:

not to mention you are allowed to change your mind about how a quilt is
finished somewhere along the line ;-)
--
Jessamy - doing just that with her UFO's - that is looking at them and
seeing if they can be finished as is or if they need more work - 80 UFO's is

80!?! I thought I was bad with about 5.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old September 16th 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:43:54 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

FIVE? Heck, if I had just five, I'd
consider them all in progress!! I have
maybe 30?? Not sure. PAT

You and Jessamy are far more prolific than I am. That, or it's just
that you have both been quilting longer than I.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 16th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Default WIPs was Just how much fabric do you have????

Refuse to count projects: including 3 that are ready for the Pro Quilter
(gotta FIND one out here---recommendations accepted). Don't wanna find the
'list' of WIP, need to do, collected for, have collected for but NO
definite design yet, and the still collecting for.

Butterfly

"mini Mini" wrote in message
. 54...
Debra wrote in
:

On 14 Sep 2006 21:48:49 +0200, mini Mini wrote:

Yes, of course you are right!! Problem is most of my stuff still ends
up in the UFO basket or the trash bin!! I need to get beyond that
stage before I can get to the next stage! ;o)

So what's in the UFO bin? A big project or some practice blocks? If
it's a project that turned out to be too big for a first project you
might try re-thinking the overall size to something you feel you can
manage and move it from the UFO pile back to the WIP pile, or you
could begin a new smaller project. Practice blocks can make a nice
little sampler, three blocks can make a table runner, and single
blocks can be quilted and used as placemats or doilies depending on
the size. Once you finish a small project you will feel like you can
tackle bigger ones.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Hi,

I don't have many... Certainly not 30!! )
I have one particularly that breaks my heart. Because I used a fabric
that I LOVE and I made it into small peices that don't show how gorgeous
that fabric it. A learning experience!

As for practice blocks: Most of the time I make practice blocks out of
some cheap fabrics, ones I bought that I feel "buyer's regret" or I make
them with charm peices.

Ok, I have to admit, I need to work more & make less excuses as to why I
don't want to cut the fabric! ;o) Humm.... I guess I could be in the
sewing room & not on the computer..... humm....

Emilia

Old September 16th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jeanbaby

Did you try

Quilter's Delight
8230 E Raintree Dr. #106
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(480) 368-9598

Patti Cook might chime in here on this?
Jeanbaby

Old September 16th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Haven't tried anyone as I haven't opened the bin that they're in as of yet.
Got to get busy and find someone as I would LIKE them to be under the tree
this year. Sure hope that isn't wishful thinking.

Butterfly

Old September 17th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Phyllis Nilsson

Default Just how much fabric do you have????

Wait a minute!!! You mean quilt tops aren't finished projects? Oh, tell me
that isn't true.

I'm very good at making tops, not so great anymore at finishing a quilt.
They are never anything fancy or stupendous, but I figure when I'm gone my
kids can sell them for $15-$20. No it isn't even what the fabric cost, but
I'm afraid most folks wouldn't want just utilitarian quilt tops.

Debra wrote:

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:06:26 +0200, "Jessamy" jessamy_thompson@_ilove
thecolour_orange.nl wrote:

LOL not to worry!

yes 80 - I'm exceedingly good at starting and terribly bad at finishing -
the only reason I have finished anything lately has been due to magazine
deadlines and swapping - and the swaps have all been block swaps.

I will not go into the amount of Wips I have... nope no way.. and now I'm
certain you are feeling even happier ;-)

I feel kind of badly for you. I know how hard it is to finish
something rather than starting something new though. I have the same
problem and I'm trying to overcome it too. I've got about 4 tops to
quilt, a BOM started but not up to date, two other quilt tops started
but not finished, fabrics for a candy jar quilt from a fabric swap,
and several PIGs. And this is just the quilty projects. I'm not
mentioning the cross stitch and embroidery projects.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Toledo,Ohio

Old September 17th 06, 09:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

well that depends on what you have in mind for them - if you are in the
business of making tops then yes they are finished :-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old September 18th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On 16 Sep 2006 14:01:04 +0200, mini Mini wrote:

Hi,

I don't have many... Certainly not 30!! )
I have one particularly that breaks my heart. Because I used a fabric
that I LOVE and I made it into small peices that don't show how gorgeous
that fabric is. A learning experience!

So far I have avoided that problem by only making large blocks, 10
inches square or bigger. I grew up looking at quilts made of big
blocks so I like that look. I am drawn to the simpler blocks like
Ohio Star and Churn Dash and less formal applique styles, which means
my pieces are not as tiny as they would be in a very complicated
block. Since I like big bold prints and they look best as big pieces,
the big blocks work well for me. I'm even using a really large print
in a quilt for my DH. The fabric has 12 inch tall people on it and I
am using it as a 30 inch whole cloth medallion in the center of a king
sized quilt.

Your fabric choices will change over time and you will begin to be
drawn to a fabric print because you want it for a specific quilt you
have in your mind's eye, or because you can use it in more than one
way. I've done enough piecing and applique now to know I prefer doing
applique rather than pieced blocks, so I've been buying stash intended
for large block applique lately. The prints are smaller than the ones
I once bought, but most quilters would still call most of them medium
in scale. The fabrics sing to me in a different way than the larger
novelty prints once did. I consider it a good thing since a quilt top
made only of many different novelty fabrics would not look very
pretty.

Old September 19th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

B'fly, will get with you later. There are lots of pro quilters here in
the Valley. I even know at least a couple personally. G
Depends on what you want and so on.

Pati, in Phx

Butterflywings wrote:

Refuse to count projects: including 3 that are ready for the Pro Quilter
(gotta FIND one out here---recommendations accepted). Don't wanna find the
'list' of WIP, need to do, collected for, have collected for but NO
definite design yet, and the still collecting for.

Butterfly

"mini Mini" wrote in message
. 54...

Debra wrote in
m:

Old September 19th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Thanx

Butterfly

news

Butterflywings wrote:

Refuse to count projects: including 3 that are ready for the Pro Quilter
(gotta FIND one out here---recommendations accepted). Don't wanna find
the 'list' of WIP, need to do, collected for, have collected for but NO
definite design yet, and the still collecting for.

Butterfly

"mini Mini" wrote in message
. 54...

Debra wrote in