OT - Finally back on!

Old July 11th 05, 12:42 AM
MRH

Default OT - Finally back on!

Jeesh! We had a 3 second power outage across the entire town last night...
not even long enough to make the TV time settings disappear where you have
to reset them. However, when Matthew tried to get on the computer to check
something after finishing watching whatever it was that had been on TV (I
was in the kitchen when the power went and just stood still until it came
back on again), the Internet was gone. It stayed off the entire night and
all day today.. I kept checking every hour or so.

When Matthew's girlfriend came to pick him up (they decided that I was not
going to drive today after yesterday's chest pain scare, and that I needed
to rest) she said that the Internet was out at her place (different town)
too... they have the same IP as we do in our town. I did go to the store
very briefly and ran into one of the Librarians who told me that the Library
was swamped all day with people coming in to use the computers there. We
can't figure out why, but their Internet worked (same IP) when no one else's
in town did. She said she heard that the IP people were working on it as
soon as the power outage was over last night... but holy cow, you'd think
they would have managed to get everyone's connection up and not just the
Library's.

Oh well, it's back now... so it's fine! )

Gemini
Thought of the week - - - If you throw a cat out of the car window, does it
become kitty litter?

LOL I found this saved on a disk today and thought it was funny. There
are more, but I'll only do one a week so as not to annoy... and to make them
last a while! ;o)

Old July 11th 05, 01:28 AM
suzee

MRH wrote:

[...]

It could be the library's on a DSL or a broadband connection whereas the
rest of you are on dialup and the ISP had a problem getting their dialup
system back up.

sue

Old July 11th 05, 02:26 AM
MRH

"suzee" wrote in message

It could be the library's on a DSL or a broadband connection whereas the
rest of you are on dialup and the ISP had a problem getting their dialup
system back up.

I would have agreed with you, Sue, except that *we* have DSL (so does
Matthew's girlfriend), and we have worked on the Library computers for the
couple of years we were off-line and they have *very* slow connection there.
We used to joke at the Library (with Matthew on one computer and me on
another across from him) humming the tune from Jeopardy while waiting for a
page to open. LOL

No one can figure out what happened... but we're just happy that it's
working again. Funny how we feel a little "lost" without the Internet, when
a few year ago (before we bought our first computer) we found so many other
things to occupy our time.

Gem

Old July 11th 05, 02:39 AM
suzee

MRH wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message

It could be the library's on a DSL or a broadband connection whereas the
rest of you are on dialup and the ISP had a problem getting their dialup
system back up.

I would have agreed with you, Sue, except that *we* have DSL (so does
Matthew's girlfriend), and we have worked on the Library computers for the
couple of years we were off-line and they have *very* slow connection there.
We used to joke at the Library (with Matthew on one computer and me on
another across from him) humming the tune from Jeopardy while waiting for a
page to open. LOL

Alright, perhaps it's the other way 'round...

No one can figure out what happened... but we're just happy that it's
working again. Funny how we feel a little "lost" without the Internet, when
a few year ago (before we bought our first computer) we found so many other
things to occupy our time.

I know.... sigh

sue

Old July 11th 05, 12:06 PM

It is a pain to lose power. We lost power for about 3 hours Sat. night
due to a summer thunder storm. It was a pain because I had planned on
doing a few loadsof laundry.

You really don't realize how much you depend on electricity til you
lose it!!

Diane

Old July 12th 05, 03:29 AM
MRH

wrote in message
oups.com...
It is a pain to lose power. We lost power for about 3 hours Sat. night
due to a summer thunder storm. It was a pain because I had planned on
doing a few loadsof laundry.

You really don't realize how much you depend on electricity til you
lose it!!

That's very true! So far this summer we only had a couple of small power
outages... but a couple of years ago there was a very big one that lasted
for at least 32 hours across the entire town. It looked so weird to have
everything in *total* darkness except for car lights going down the streets
and a few candles glowing inside homes here and there. We have a couple of
kerosene lamps and candles so seeing inside the house wasn't a problem...
our main concern was that everything in the refridgerator and freezer would
thaw and go bad... and quite a bit did. We salvaged as much as possible,
but couldn't save it all.

Gemini

I can't believe I'm finally back! OT, AD and LONG Tinkster Beads 25 June 22nd 04 05:10 AM
OT I am back finally and a new cleaning thing for those of you with chemical sensitivies... Roberta Quilting 15 May 22nd 04 11:20 AM