Pleats in wool crepe

Old October 9th 04, 10:05 AM
Atom1

Default Pleats in wool crepe

I finished this skirt of wool crepe with knife pleats in the front. My
press is waitng for service and the dc has a slow turn around. I have a
steam generator iron and of course the regular, but I just can't seam to get
them pressed as crisp as I'd like, they are "springy". Are there any
suggestions I might try?

thanks

Michelle
Italy

Old October 9th 04, 10:55 AM
Kate Dicey

Atom1 wrote:

I finished this skirt of wool crepe with knife pleats in the front. My
press is waitng for service and the dc has a slow turn around. I have a
steam generator iron and of course the regular, but I just can't seam to get
them pressed as crisp as I'd like, they are "springy". Are there any
suggestions I might try?

thanks

Michelle
Italy

Stop steaming! Baste the knife pleats closed with a fine silk thread
and use a dampened cotton or linen pressing cloth to press with a hot
iron. Go slowly, and press each area for 20 seconds before moving the iron.

Test the iron temperature and pressing cloth on some spare cloth first.

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old October 9th 04, 02:48 PM
Tatiana

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Atom1 wrote:

[...]

Mix 1/2 cup of white vinegar with 1/2 cup of water. Wet ironing cloth
(cotton or linen, as Kate said) with this solution, and press with hot dry
iron until ironing cloth and you fabric are completely dry. Hot vinegar
smells disgusting, but it evaporates completely under hot iron, just make
sure to dry out thing with iron. It will set pleats and creases very well.
It is recommended to repeat this treatment every 5-6 washings.

HTH

Tatiana

Old October 10th 04, 09:49 AM
Atom1

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Atom1 wrote:

[...]

I haven't been steaming, I've been doing as you say sans the basting
thread. I'll try that.

Many thanks,
Michelle
Italy

Old October 10th 04, 09:51 AM
Atom1

"Tatiana" wrote in message

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Atom1 wrote:

[...]

What about the fact that it's wool, steaming will shrink it right? I was
trying to remember the recipe for permanent pleats- thank you

Michelle
Italy

Old October 10th 04, 10:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 02:05:11 -0700, Atom1 wrote:

I finished this skirt of wool crepe with knife pleats in the front. My
press is waitng for service and the dc has a slow turn around. I have a
steam generator iron and of course the regular, but I just can't seam to get
them pressed as crisp as I'd like, they are "springy". Are there any
suggestions I might try?

Are you clapping the pleats dry and leaving them to cool before moving the
fabric?
Old October 10th 04, 11:10 AM
Kate Dicey

Atom1 wrote:

I haven't been steaming, I've been doing as you say sans the basting
thread. I'll try that.

Many thanks,
Michelle
Italy

Also get a nice flat lump of smooth wood and whack those pleats while
still damp! REALLY pound them before taking the pressing cloth off!
Then remove the basting and press again if it has left any marks. A
fine silk thread will leave minimal marks.

Old October 10th 04, 11:12 AM
Kate Dicey

Atom1 wrote:

What about the fact that it's wool, steaming will shrink it right? I was
trying to remember the recipe for permanent pleats- thank you

Steam will only shrink it if you have not pre-shrunk before making the
garment. I always press wool all over with steam and a cloth before
cutting out the garment.

Old October 10th 04, 12:58 PM
Atom1

"Kay Lancaster" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 02:05:11 -0700, Atom1 wrote:

I finished this skirt of wool crepe with knife pleats in the front.

My
press is waitng for service and the dc has a slow turn around. I have

steam generator iron and of course the regular, but I just can't seam

to get
them pressed as crisp as I'd like, they are "springy". Are there any
suggestions I might try?

Are you clapping the pleats dry and leaving them to cool before moving

the
fabric?

Ummm, no, I guess I have some frustration I can work out. So should I
steam them and then clap or just beat them down?

Thanks so much

Michelle
Italy

Old October 10th 04, 01:25 PM
Mike Behrent

Use the wet presscloth and then remove it and go over the pleats again with
a cold iron or a pan of ice to quick cool the pleats. Then allow it to sit
without moving it til you're sure the pleats are completely dry and cool. I
learned this from a professional kilt maker.

--
It's easier to run away with your kilt up than with your pants down