watch cloths

Old August 26th 03, 04:37 AM

Default watch cloths

looking for very good quality watch / jewellery cloths.

prices must be highly competitive.

reply to:
Old September 1st 03, 11:44 PM
sbright

There is a steel that was used on some Rado watches way back when that was
super hard. I'm not a steel expert so I couldn't tell you what its called
but it was a dark gunmetal kind of color.

I also wonder if annealing or work hardening applies to steel and if it
does, does it make it scratch resistant?

-Stanley

"Abrasha" wrote in message

looking for very good quality watch / jewellery cloths.

"Selvyt cloth" is the best. Do a google on it.

prices must be highly competitive.

What the hell does that mean?

reply to:

No can do. You ask questions here, you come back to read the answers.

The
answers are not just for your benefit, but for all who participate in the
newsgroup(s). That's how Usenet was set up ages ago.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

Old September 1st 03, 11:55 PM
Peter W. Rowe

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 15:44:50 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry "sbright"
wrote:

There is a steel that was used on some Rado watches way back when that was
super hard. I'm not a steel expert so I couldn't tell you what its called
but it was a dark gunmetal kind of color.

I also wonder if annealing or work hardening applies to steel and if it
does, does it make it scratch resistant?

-Stanley

I think this message was intended to reply to the thread on scratch resistant
watch bezels/crystals...

Anyway, so far as I know, that gunmetal dark material used on the Rado cases and
as parts of their straps, wasn't steel at all. I knew it a couple years ago,
but the exact name now excapes me. Some kind of metallic nitride compound, if I
recall. hardness somewhere around nine on the mohs scale. Not a metal at all,
it had to be machined to shape with diamond tools... Anyone else remember the
actual material name?

As to steels, annealing and work hardening them do indeed apply. Work hardening
a mild steel makes some difference, not so much to just scratching, since mild
steel, even work hardened, is still somewhat softer than quartz, a common
componant of things like house dust and dirt, so environmental scratching will
indeed still take place. But "cold rolled" steel is exactly that. work
hardened mild steel, and it's stiffer and harder than fully annealed steel.

Annealing is done by heating hot enough (nice bright red/orange), and then very
slowly cooling. Quenching results in hardening, which is how all your steel
tools are hardened. Done just to that stage, high carbon steels are very
brittle and hard, often too hard for most uses. Gentle heating to much lower
temperatures, usually judged by the color change as it starts to oxidize in the
air, is called tempering, and adjusts the hardness and springiness to the
desired state, with increased tempering lowering hardness, but increasing
toughness and springiness. Ordinary high carbon steels aren't alone in this.
Several varieties of hardenable stainless steels are available, which offer both
hardenability, as well as pretty good corrosion/rust resistance. They're
popular with knife makers. Most stainless watch cases, though, are made of the
standard softer stainless steels, as their corrosion resistance is much better,
and they're more machinable.

Peter
Old September 2nd 03, 06:35 AM
Abrasha

sbright wrote:

There is a steel that was used on some Rado watches way back when that was
super hard. I'm not a steel expert so I couldn't tell you what its called
but it was a dark gunmetal kind of color.

I also wonder if annealing or work hardening applies to steel and if it
does, does it make it scratch resistant?

-Stanley

Hmmm,

What does that have to do with "watch cloths"?

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old September 3rd 03, 02:01 AM
NE333RO

There is a steel that was used on some Rado watches way back when that was
super hard. I'm not a steel expert so I couldn't tell you what its called
but it was a dark gunmetal kind of color.

I think you might be refering to the hard ceramics they use/used. To the
best of my knowledge the metals they use are tungston or titanium carbide that
is molded (from powder) using high pressure and heat.

Making the watch face removable, an idea Diana Curtis Beads 2 December 17th 04 03:13 PM
AD: Watch Faces Marisa Exter Beads 2 April 15th 04 09:59 PM
Watch Band suggestions? Marisa Exter Beads 10 April 14th 04 06:40 AM
watch faces bulk buy??? The Bead Lounge Beads 11 August 16th 03 06:48 AM
FYI - Watch Face Sell-out Kandice Seeber Beads 0 July 10th 03 12:47 AM