Harry Potter Book Tonight! - OT

Old July 6th 03, 01:50 AM
Christina Peterson

Default Harry Potter Book Tonight! - OT

Hi Kathy,

I picked up my copy Saturday morning (the 21st) and finished it late Sunday
night (early monday).

I love the books. They deserve to be classics. They have the attributes of
science fiction - they speak mostly of alienation. They have the attributes
of the classic hero myth - leaving home, suffering, and returning to share
(usually knowledge), thereby suffering for the good of humanity and home.
And they have the attributes of the coming of age classics.

Unfortunately, the movies actually undermine the literary value and learning
potential of the books. By making the three main children so attractive.
Harry was a runty kid, who was malnourished, who looked untidy, and had UGLY
glasses. He lacked confidence and didn't know how to act. Hermione had
buck teeth, frizzy unmanageable hair, looking more like Pippi Longstocking,
and was an insufferable know it all. Definitely a nerd. Ron was just a
gawky boy. None of these kids fit in. This feelings of being different and
of being singled out (conflictingly, for persecution or admiration) are
essential to her books.

Tina

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 6:39:53 -0400, Johanna Koski wrote
(in message ):

Do you mind telling us why? I'm just curious...

Thanks in advance!

The reason why I'm not going to buy thisone either, is that the author
is
already richest person in England. She's even richer than the Queen
I think that she already has her share, so why should I give my money to
her too? And the hype around the book is way too much. And all the
gadgets
and games and all the things that is ripping off parents when kids wants
all
of the junk. I rather buy some other book that I want.

Gee, that surprises me. I don't see people refusing to use Microsoft
software because Bill Gates is already rich enough. (Although there are
plenty of other reasons not to want Microsoft software)

As far as I'm concerned, if Joanne Rowling makes a boatload on money based

on
writing down her stories, well good for her. I'm happy to see an artist

getm
well rewarded for her talent. The stories are amazing, and my family has
gotten more than their money's worth from reading them.

We don't buy all the associated junk, although I think DH bought be a
Quiddich tee shirt a couple of years ago. We find that the pictures that

our
imagination provides (from reading the book) is a lot more satisfying than
anything that the marketers serve up. DD was the first to bring it up,
because she has her own mental pictures of pretty much everything in the
book.

Kathy N-V

Old July 8th 03, 12:06 AM
Christina Peterson

Yeah. When I told my therp about it (he'd seen the movie but had not read
the book), his eyes got big, and he said "Oh, that a completely different
story."

Tina

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
Interesting observations. And quite true, IMO.

Deirdre

On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:50:43 GMT, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

[...]

i.com...