Silver supplier question

Old May 25th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Paul K. Dickman

Default Silver supplier question

"Bob" wrote in message
On May 23, 7:17=A0pm, "Paul K. Dickman" wrote:
I talked to a couple of my suppliers who have 12" rolls and sell
Argentium=

.

They told me they could reroll some materials but this wasn't one of
them.=

I was only talking to customer service reps, not the techs. So I do not
kn=

ow
if =A0a licensing issue, a contamination issue or whether there is some
th=

ing
intrinsic in the alloy that precludes cross rolling.

The reflectors do not have any compound curves. I could stretch it in the
hammer work, but I would have to add at least 1/3 to the area.

That would be a whole lot of hammering.

Paul K. Dickman

Interesting, but puzzling. You would think, if the material can be
hammer-forged, it could also be rolled....

Do you know anyone with a power hammer? That, at least, might make
the stretching bearable.

Regard,

Bob

Actually, hammering is much easier on the metal's structure than rolling.

The grain distortion from hammering is much more diffuse, and the metal has
time to equalize the tension between hammer blows.

Rolling puts all the distortion in one direction. It tends to find week
spots in the metal, and magnify them by squeezing them from one end of the
sheet to the other.

As far as Argentium, I never got an answer from the service reps.

I think that it is much more likely, that the metal goes through a final
proprietary annealing step, and the original licensor feels that this is
necessary to insure product quality. The secondary sellers are not able to
perform this step and are not supposed to reroll.

Paul K. Dickman

Old May 25th 08, 07:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mr G H Ireland[_2_]

In article , "William Black"
wrote
:
a lump of 22 carat gold that was about an inch square
and two feet long.

I estimate that it would weigh about 600 lbs! He must have been quite
stong!

- G.H.Ireland

--
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services

Old May 25th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

"Mr G H Ireland" wrote in message
In article , "William Black"
wrote
:
a lump of 22 carat gold that was about an inch square
and two feet long.

I estimate that it would weigh about 600 lbs! He must have been quite
stong!

Looked about 15 Kg to me.

Last time I checked the stuff was about 20gm per cubic centimeter.

Working it out it's 2.54x2.54x 66, which is about 425 cubic centimetres,
which is about 8500 gm.

If you reckon it weighed 600lbs I want to sell you some gold, by volume...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 26th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Mr G H Ireland wrote:
In article , "William Black"
wrote
:
a lump of 22 carat gold that was about an inch square
and two feet long.

I estimate that it would weigh about 600 lbs! He must have been quite
stong!

- G.H.Ireland

Not even close! Not by a long shot!

Specific gravity of fine gold is 19.32 and that of 18K gold is around
15.6. So, assuming the specific gravity for 22K gold is 19 (it is most
likely not) the weight of a piece of rod as you describe would be 7.472
kg, which is 16.473 lb avoirdupois or 20.019 lb troy.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old May 26th 08, 04:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

William Black wrote:
"Mr G H Ireland" wrote in message
In article , "William Black"
wrote
:
a lump of 22 carat gold that was about an inch square
and two feet long.

I estimate that it would weigh about 600 lbs! He must have been quite
stong!

Looked about 15 Kg to me.

Last time I checked the stuff was about 20gm per cubic centimeter.

Working it out it's 2.54x2.54x 66, which is about 425 cubic centimetres,
which is about 8500 gm.

If you reckon it weighed 600lbs I want to sell you some gold, by volume...

2 feet is 60.96 cm, not 66 cm. And your choice for the specific gravity
of 22K gold is a bit high, since the s.g. fine gold is only 19.32.

Other than that, your calculation is a lot more accurate to what the
actual weight is, than 600 lb.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old May 26th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:28:15 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

Specific gravity of fine gold is 19.32 and that of 18K gold is around
15.6. So, assuming the specific gravity for 22K gold is 19 (it is most
likely not) the weight of a piece of rod as you describe would be 7.472
kg, which is 16.473 lb avoirdupois or 20.019 lb troy.

.... which is roughly 220 troy ounces of fine gold, which at the current gold
market price of about $925 an ounce, is about what you could pay for a fairly
modest home in the midwest, or a really nice place in New Orleans (I'm guessing
with that one...) or perhaps one really fantastic automobile....

All in all, the gold is easier to carry.

cheers

Peter

Old May 26th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

"Abrasha" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
[...]

Ah, well I do actually work with the stuff now and again...

Don't like to though.

I much prefer silver.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 26th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

wrote:

Specific gravity of fine gold is 19.32 and that of 18K gold is around
15.6. So, assuming the specific gravity for 22K gold is 19 (it is most
likely not) the weight of a piece of rod as you describe would be 7.472
kg, which is 16.473 lb avoirdupois or 20.019 lb troy.

... which is roughly 220 troy ounces of fine gold, which at the current
gold
market price of about $925 an ounce, is about what you could pay for a
fairly
modest home in the midwest, or a really nice place in New Orleans (I'm
guessing
with that one...) or perhaps one really fantastic automobile....

All in all, the gold is easier to carry.

I'm still trying to work out what he was making.

Obviously some sort of trophy, it was way too heavy for jewellery, unless
it was going to be turned down into some sort of very heavy bangles...

But you wouldn't do it like that...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old May 29th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Mr G H Ireland[_2_]

In article , Abrasha
wrote:

I estimate that it would weigh about 600 lbs! He must have been quite
stong!

- G.H.Ireland.

Not even close! Not by a long shot!

Sorryee! Must have been having a brain-storm! Your figure of 16.5 Lbs is
right.

G.H.Ireland

--
_ _________________________________________

Old May 29th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Séimí mac Liam

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in
:

wrote:

Specific gravity of fine gold is 19.32 and that of 18K gold is around
15.6. So, assuming the specific gravity for 22K gold is 19 (it is
most likely not) the weight of a piece of rod as you describe would
be 7.472 kg, which is 16.473 lb avoirdupois or 20.019 lb troy.

... which is roughly 220 troy ounces of fine gold, which at the
current gold market price of about $925 an ounce, is about what you
could pay for a fairly modest home in the midwest, or a really nice
place in New Orleans (I'm guessing with that one...) or perhaps one
really fantastic automobile....

All in all, the gold is easier to carry.

cheers

Peter

Aye, but a Bugatti has wheels.

--
Saint Séimí mac Liam
Carriagemaker to the court of Queen Maeve

Oil Painting Supplier China Hand Painted Oil Painting Supplier goldappleart Sewing 0 April 18th 08 04:12 PM
Silver question. George Jewelry 6 November 11th 07 08:43 PM
935 Silver wire supplier Mizz Patty Jewelry 21 February 26th 07 06:58 AM