Them wobbles - wheel throwing

Old October 23rd 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Them wobbles - wheel throwing

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"DKat" wrote in message
news

"Bubbles_" wrote in message

"Bob Masta" wrote in message
But I have a big box of number 6 cones, and they make dandy
sacrifices to the kiln goddess!

LOL! I made a huge sacrifice a few months ago - a sculpture of Patrick
Stewart's face/head that had turned out pretty fine, but I didn't let
dry by far long enough. Busted into a billion pieces on bisque firing.
The gods should be sated for another year, I think, with that one!

Have a gread weekend!

Marianne

What a cruel thing to happen to such a sexy actor! My kiln god that blew
up was a dragon - wouldn't you know that my next glaze firing was for
sh!$. Maybe I will just go Bob's route and treat my cones as my kiln
god...

Congratulations on your new kiln!!! Can't wait to hear the next chapter.

Let's just say that the hours spent studying his face weren't wasted, even
if he did blow into a thousand bits in the kiln! LOL!

Just ordered the new kiln on Sunday and need to find a good electrician to
put in a more powerful 400V 16 amp wiring to where I need it.

Am in Mallorca with friends at the mo - an honestly not quite sober - so
please excuse any typos! LOL!

The wonderful thing about Patrick Steward is that you don't have to model
his hair! *giggle*

Okay - off for now - take care, Donna and others that might read this!

Marianne

I feel that evil envy raising its ugly head... I really like Spain and I
had no idea it had large islands in the Mediterranean. If I could just get
S.O. on boat...

Don't forget to drink lots and lots of water (sorry - mother mode kicking
in). Donna

Old October 23rd 07, 09:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

"DKat" wrote in message

I feel that evil envy raising its ugly head... I really like Spain and I
had no idea it had large islands in the Mediterranean. If I could just
get S.O. on boat...

Don't forget to drink lots and lots of water (sorry - mother mode kicking
in). Donna

The Ballearic islands off the east coast of Spain are GORGEOUS! Very much
worth a visit. I first came here with my cousin in 1980 or 81, and I still
love it.

And why water???? I can't drink the local tap water, in fact - does things
to me that aren't pleasant. But there is plenty of water in bottles - and
other stuff in bottles - wine as well - wine industry here is really coming
along!

*sips some coffee and watches some more 24 on the computer*

Marianne

Old October 23rd 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

The best way to prevent a hangover is to drink a lot of water when you are
drinking alcohol. It flushes the body of the toxins and rehydrates you
(dehydration is one of the reasons you feel so ****ty after a night of
drinking too much). Coffee or any other fluid with other ingredients that
dehydrate you won't do it. It is best to drink water as you drink alcohol
but you can drink a large amount of water before going to sleep. Most kids
my sons' age (21 and 25) seem to know this. They seem to be experts at how
to have fun and not pay for it. Unfortunately I didn't learn it until my
50's.

Don't they have nifty filters Switzerland (of course you were not at home at
the time but you said 'your' water...)? As I remember water is more
expensive than wine in much of Europe. Drinking a decent amount of water
every day keeps you healthy my Mother of 94 says.

The day that '24' perpetuated the myth that torture buys you information
from terrorist is the day I stopped watching '24'. American is being
destroyed from within by cowards that want to 'feel safe!'. OK, deep
breath... no rant... sorry for the political OT.

S.O. thinks the Islands off of Spain look more than a little enticing. Both
boys are out of college next year. We may take our fourth vacation in over
3 decades!

OK, enough OT. Back to programming (I really don't want to beat my head
right now but...)

Donna

Old October 27th 07, 09:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles_

Default Them wobbles - wheel throwing OT.

"DKat" wrote in message

-snip the water trick-

Don't they have nifty filters Switzerland (of course you were not at home
at the time but you said 'your' water...)? As I remember water is more
expensive than wine in much of Europe. Drinking a decent amount of water
every day keeps you healthy my Mother of 94 says.

I am fine with the water at home, but the Mallorcan water has different
bacteria, and I have learned to avoid it. And the more expensive is because
you get a lot of cheap wine over here! Hehe!

The day that '24' perpetuated the myth that torture buys you information
from terrorist is the day I stopped watching '24'. American is being
destroyed from within by cowards that want to 'feel safe!'. OK, deep
breath... no rant... sorry for the political OT.

Very good point. Although - considering what must go on at Guantanamo....
maybe not so off reality as we would wish?

S.O. thinks the Islands off of Spain look more than a little enticing.
Both boys are out of college next year. We may take our fourth vacation
in over 3 decades!

Mallorca is wonderfull. DO IT!

Greetings from Mallorca!

Marianne

Old November 17th 07, 04:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Rosalind Lacey

Default WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THIS SITE ?????

It is a while since I looked in ! I so enjoyed this site. As a Newbie, it
helped me tremendously.

Now there is a load of twollop everywhere, which us true devoties have no
interest whatsoever. I's all garbage.

Why not clear the lot and restart with a moderator to keep the creeps out.

wrote in message
Yeah - here I am again! Nag nag nag! LOL!

So - I have been doing some pretty good work on the wheel lately. When I
finally realized that I was using too firm clay, the centering go a lot
easier!

But - even if I have wedged the clay thoroughly just before slapping it on
the wheel, I sometimes get this wobble in the middle. I feel it as I am
opening out, that the middle just does not want to be the middle, if you
get what I mean. I am thinking (gee! WOW!) that I might not have coned the
clay up well enough in the beginning? Or are some bits of clay just not
willing to conform? I have seen a lot of potters throwing pretty
uncentered pieces, but I wonder if the middle is uncentered or just the
outside?

Once again, thanks to you guys for being around. You have the experience
that I can't find from anyone else around these parts!

Marianne

PS - asked my dealer about cones, and he doesn't carry them and doesn't
find them useful at all. Will try to remember to talk with my teacher
about it on Friday.

Wheel Throwing in Seattle Biff Pottery 5 March 1st 07 07:29 PM
Throwing of big pots like planters on the wheel (Cameron Lithgow ?) Gap Pottery 2 September 15th 04 01:54 PM
Throwing dry Bubbles Pottery 0 July 30th 04 12:52 AM
Basic wheel throwing question - centering Elric Pottery 16 October 17th 03 04:24 AM