porcelain firing

Old October 30th 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Susie

Default porcelain firing

In message , Steve Mills
writes
Your post has jogged a memory; Doll makers both here and on your side of
the pond fire the heads embedded in Silica Sand. Maybe this would work
with Susie's Piece.
In addition I ran Susie's fibre technique past a Potter/Sculptor friend
who confirmed that it will work well and the only clean-up technique
needed would possibly be with a bit of fine sandpaper.

Steve

Morning Steve

I've just been out to the kiln and had a quick look. The dragons are
through the first firing to 1080C in one piece. I'm going to check that
there are no cracks, etc. I'm going to surround them in sheets of
ceramic fibre - under their tails, their armpits and wings - and fire
them up to 1240C later today. I don't think I'll be able to get near
them with sand paper or even an emery board, but tweezers and a brush
might well get residual fibre off. Failing which, could my dragons have
sprouted whiskers in the kiln?

All the group's postings have been so helpful and the latest one from
you has given me more confidence that this is going to work. Thanks.

Best wishes
Susie
--
Susie Thompson
If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon!
Old October 30th 06, 11:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

Dear Susie,

It's been fun, educational for us all, and good exercise for the grey
matter!!

Have a good firing and let us all know how it goes....maybe pictures on
one of the available sites like Flikr (sp) or Yahoo.

[...]

Bath
UK
Old November 1st 06, 10:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Susie

In message , Steve Mills
writes
Dear Susie,

It's been fun, educational for us all, and good exercise for the grey
matter!!

Have a good firing and let us all know how it goes....maybe pictures on
one of the available sites like Flikr (sp) or Yahoo.

Steve

Hello everybody

I'm more than a little relieved to tell you that the dragons have made
it OK. Wings uplifted and outstretched and heads held high! I've got
some pictures for you to see and hope to be able to put them on Flikr in
the next day or so. I'll post the link when I have it.

From a much more relaxed and less stressed (until the next time)

Susie

Old November 1st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Susie

In message , DKat
writes
Yeah!!! Very much looking forward to the pictures. Donna

Hello Donna and everybody

I've had a go at putting some pictures up on

www.flickr.com.

If you put in a search for arrandragons, you should find them. The
Siblings are the ones that have just given me all the angst. I've added
some other pictures to give a wider idea of the sort of things that I
make. I'll be adding/changing pictures as I get used to doing this.
The images seem to have come out darker than I expected. I've never
done this before, so it's a learning curve - straight uphill!. Let me
know what you think, please.

Regards
Susie
Old November 1st 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Keith Thompson

In message , Susie
writes
In message , DKat
writes
Yeah!!! Very much looking forward to the pictures. Donna

Hello Donna and everybody

I've had a go at putting some pictures up on

www.flickr.com.

If you put in a search for arrandragons, you should find them. The
Siblings are the ones that have just given me all the angst. I've
added some other pictures to give a wider idea of the sort of things
that I make. I'll be adding/changing pictures as I get used to doing
this. The images seem to have come out darker than I expected. I've
never done this before, so it's a learning curve - straight uphill!.
Let me know what you think, please.

Regards
Susie

Apologies for follow up posting straightaway, but need to get things
right.

If you look at www.flickr.com/photos/arrandragons you should find
the pictures there. If you have a problem at all let me know.

Regards
Susie
--
Keith Thompson
Old November 2nd 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Steve Mills

Well done Susie.

Steve

In article , Keith Thompson
writes

Old November 2nd 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Thank you! Absolutely beautiful!
Donna
"Susie" wrote in message
In message , DKat
writes
[...]

FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 October 21st 03 02:13 PM
FAQ Raku part 2 of 2 SBRANFPOTS Pottery 0 September 16th 03 11:11 PM
Firing Tmes David Coggins Pottery 0 September 1st 03 08:27 AM
Raku FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 20th 03 04:49 AM
FAQ:Intro to rec.crafts.pottery Mishy Lowe Pottery 0 July 18th 03 06:05 AM