"Lampwork Bead Collection 4 Breast Cancer"

Old October 18th 03, 09:01 PM
Dr. Sooz

I'm thinking it would be fabulous to have one of the auctions for Christopher
Reeves's neurological research organization.......they're hoping to reverse
paralyzing spinal injuries (like Kevin's) in the next decade or so. And the
Parkinson's orgs too......

But here -- how about this? Each time, we vote on the chairty -- those of us
who're contributing work. That will keep it fair. Nominations can be tendered
by those who are donating.

to be honest, not pc and having an unpopular opinion, much as I love
animals, I'm sick to death of all the animal rights money being collected
and spent when we have so many people suffering with crippling, painful
diseases on this board alone, who would benefit from having a bunch of money
donated to research in the medical field.

I worked for animal welfare much of my pre-retirement life, and I still want to
donate to these causes. Not PETA -- they're funded to death.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old October 18th 03, 09:05 PM
Dr. Sooz

A couple of possibilities: either Toys for
Tots or Salvation Army around Christmastime both do sooooo much to
help others, and February is African American History month....perhaps
the American Negro College Fund?

The only thing that would make me not want to donate to these (in favor of
other organizations) -- personally -- is that they already get a lot of money.
TONS of money and donations. They are extremely prominent and well-funded.

Also -- we need to check on each organization to be very sure that most of
their donation money (a high percentage of each dollar that is given) goes to
the cause itself, not salaries, overhead, etc. This is, IMO, very very
important. We don't know how that works with the chairities you've mentioned
-- yet. Research will be done.

And anyone who wants to donate to a charity that we end up not donating to --??
Well, you can set up your own auction in conjunction with the charity of your
choice -- be my guest!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old October 18th 03, 09:17 PM
Dr. Sooz

much as I love
animals, I'm sick to death of all the animal rights money being collected
and spent when we have so many people suffering with crippling, painful
diseases on this board alone, who would benefit from having a bunch of money
donated to research in the medical field.

Balance is a good thing.
And remember, Christy, there's a world of difference between a local no-kill
shelter and PETA.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old October 18th 03, 09:22 PM
Dr. Sooz

I won't be working on this til January, as I have more than enough to do
between now and the end of 2003. So anyone who wants to work on this as
donating artist, or assistant, or whatever -- email me at
divaocean at aol dot com

I'll make a file with names, etc. Please do not suggest charities now! We
will nominate and vote for the Charity of Our Choice when the time comes, okay?

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old October 20th 03, 01:49 AM
Barbara Otterson

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 04:46:37 GMT, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

Barbara Otterson wrote:

A couple years back, a bunch of us on rec.crafts.professional
(back when the group was still active........) got off on a sock
monkey tangent while discussion the sludge that finds its way
into "fine art shows".
There was talk about doing SOS (**** on a stick).
You know, a upscale version of the tacky 1.00 items
you see at fairs. A nice bead on a stick = a hair stick.
A nice hunk of fused glass on a metal stick = a
garden stake. You get the picture.
It never got done. I could see it as a fund raiser
for any number of worthy causes..........
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

snort I LOVE SOS! Funny. I make lampwork hairsticks, I could donate!
We just need to find the cause.

CERF is always a good cause. Also Susan G Komen Breast Cancer
thingy (whatever it's called.)
Barbara
Dream Master
www.dreamweaverstudio.com

"We've got two lives, one we're given,
the other one we make."
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Old October 20th 03, 06:52 PM
KDK

I like the idea of voting each time. I also like donating to ones that
don't already have lots of money coming in.

Kathy K
"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
[...]

"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old October 20th 03, 07:17 PM
Valerie

I like the idea of voting each time. I also like donating to ones that
don't already have lots of money coming in.

I agree. There was a tornado around here a while back, a couple cities away
from me. There wasn't enough people and houses damaged to declare it a
"national disaster" and get the much needed money that that title brings in.
This was a relatively low class neighborhood and most of the people didn't have
any insurance. Red Cross could only give them so much, so these people were
living in homes that had no roofs and walls. Well, one city north from me
(which isn't all that prosperous either) raised quite a few thousand dollars
for these people, and went on the news saying that they hope it will get other
cities in the county to do the same.
Nobody wanted to help these people after this horrible disaster struck them,
and nobody was donating money.
Something like this would be a good recipient for our charity auctions. The
people that CAN'T advertise about the help they need are the one's who need it
the most.
Another idea is to give $ to college scholarships to art school, or for people
who want to further their artistic education.
Just my 2 cents...

Valerie
Website: http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/index.html
RCB Member Links:
http://www.geocities.com/m2ir8/professionallinks.html
Submit your site! E-mail me for details! *Remove* spam block to reply.

Old October 21st 03, 09:14 AM
Kandice Seeber

I think the voting would be a great idea. That way we can all have a say,
and we can be satisfied with the results.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old October 21st 03, 05:48 PM
Dr. Sooz

I think the voting would be a great idea. That way we can all have a say,
and we can be satisfied with the results.

Yes -- and it's only fair. If you ask people to dontae, they should have a say
in the goal. Plus if we vote every time, we can do timely things -- such as
9/11's emergency, etc.
~~
Sooz
-------