The Beadmakers Liberation Front

Old February 10th 04, 03:08 PM
meijhana

Default The Beadmakers Liberation Front

I was impressed by this, and wanted to share!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...73#post2015373

I think we should adopt it as jewelry designers, too (and that means you,
too, Harry, both as a jewelry designer and as a supplies crafter). Too many
times do we hear "I just want to get my money back", and with this, I think
we can start to educate others, both as buyer and as fellow seller.

Mary

--
Mr. Winky says "Glass shards are beautiful, but they can be painful." --
www.shardsoglass.com

HandcraftedJewelry.com
http://snipurl.com/45w5
check out my store!

Old February 10th 04, 03:44 PM
Harry

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 06:08:06 -0800, "meijhana" wrote:

I was impressed by this, and wanted to share!!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...73#post2015373

I think we should adopt it as jewelry designers, too (and that means you,
too, Harry, both as a jewelry designer and as a supplies crafter). Too many
times do we hear "I just want to get my money back", and with this, I think
we can start to educate others, both as buyer and as fellow seller.

Mary

Thank you so much for that link! I too was feeling the same way they were.
I also thought I was selling to low and have change my direction of though.
Mary... I never considered myself a designer... but I do now. After all...
I did design and create a beautiful necklace and a few other items and
I did not give myself the proper credit untill the lovely person who bought
my first ever creation told me how wonderful she loved it and it was beautiful.
It was then I had to tell myself over and over that she was right and my
brain was lying to me. Just a check in... did I set my starting bid at a fair
price? I am new at this stuff and have no idea what I am really doing, but I
do know this... if I saw this from anyone else I would buy it in a second. I have
bought others items that were similar and was very happy with them. Let's face
it... anyone who would pay what I do for RAW Paua shell has to have a love for it.
BTW I do want more than just my money back, so I can buy and create other more
interesting and beautiful items.
ALL of YOU are so good for me! Thank you so much!

Harry
My Ebay Auctions are at http://snipurl.com/3okw
Old February 10th 04, 07:09 PM
Dr. Sooz

Rita says:
"....when 1/2 of the market is undercutting themselves it has not only a
trickle down effect but a landslide."

This is what I've always said. It's true, it affects all our sister and brother
beadmakers, jewelrymakers --- and artists as a whole population.

The way I said it recently was deemed unacceptable by some -- but I've been
fighting for this for a long, long, long time. People just don't listen when
you say "Increase your prices, because it affects us all." I wanted to be
dramatic because the message doesn't get through people's heads, as is
evidenced by this thread on Wet Canvas. "The Beadmakers' Liberation Front"?
Drama. You have to paint in bright colors for people to GET IT.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 11th 04, 12:16 AM
Kandice Seeber

I have mixed feelings about that whole thread. On the one hand, the
intentions are good, I am sure. The people are mostly nice, hardworking and
well-intentioned. On the other hand, price fixing is illegal and annoying.
I agree about pricing your things in such a way that it mirrors value and
hard work. However, I don't agree with a huge group governing that, or
trying to control things. But I am pretty anti-government, so maybe it's
just that. Or maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet today, and
I am cranky.
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

[...]

"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old February 11th 04, 01:19 AM
Kandice Seeber

***sigh*** and I just posted a response over there. Time to go hide in the
bunker. Why the hell am I a glutton for punishement? Seriously, I think I
bring up some good points, but that whole thread is so full of "Amen!" "I'm
in!" "You go girl!"and "Me too" posts that I am afraid mine will not be well
received.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old February 11th 04, 02:00 AM
AmazeR

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:19:02 -0800, Kandice Seeber wrote:

***sigh*** and I just posted a response over there. Time to go hide in the
bunker. Why the hell am I a glutton for punishement? Seriously, I think I
bring up some good points, but that whole thread is so full of "Amen!" "I'm
in!" "You go girl!"and "Me too" posts that I am afraid mine will not be well
received.

Objectivity is a good thing Kandice...

Calls for open-mindedness though. It'll be interesting to see.. heh,heh

Mavis

Old February 11th 04, 06:02 AM
KDK

I just read your reply on WC. I thought you did it very well. And you do
make some really good points. I too have mixed feelings about this whole
thing.

I don't yet sell beads, hope to one day. I do make pieces with lampwork
beads. I understand wanting to get full value for your work, but I feel
uneasy with the idea that "everyone" should do XXXXX. I know a beadmaker
that won't sell on ebay at all - to her that is undervaluing her work, so
she only sells at shows and galleries. If that works for her great, but for
some people ebay is what works.

One of the problems with selling art is that it is sooooo subjective. I've
gotten beads at what I thought was a steal, I've paid full value for some
beads, and I've probably over paid for others. To someone else what I
thought was a steal they may think is a fair price, etc.

I also understand that it's easy to undervalue your own work (still working
on that with my jewelry), and some may not even realize that they are doing
it.

Lots of shades of gray in this - it's surely not just black and white -
raise our prices and all will be well with the bead world.

Kathy K

Old February 11th 04, 01:44 AM
AmazeR

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:16:44 -0800, Kandice Seeber wrote:

I have mixed feelings about that whole thread. On the one hand, the
intentions are good, I am sure. The people are mostly nice, hardworking and
well-intentioned. On the other hand, price fixing is illegal and annoying.
I agree about pricing your things in such a way that it mirrors value and
hard work. However, I don't agree with a huge group governing that, or
trying to control things. But I am pretty anti-government, so maybe it's
just that. Or maybe it's because I haven't had my coffee yet today, and
I am cranky.

I've never believed in price fixing or a group governing prices... but I
don't think this is what they are getting at. I think the whole thrust of
the thread is pricing which reflects the value of the beads.. the worth of
them - not only to the beader/artist but also to the customer. For
example, if I purchase something for nix, then it's not worth much to me..
whereas if I purchase something for a reasonable price then it becomes
more valuable/precious to me. Hence, I will take more care with it etc,
etc...

Blah, blah, blah... Hope that all makes sense

Mavis

Old February 11th 04, 08:07 PM
Dr. Sooz

I have mixed feelings about that whole thread. On the one hand, the
intentions are good, I am sure. The people are mostly nice, hardworking and
well-intentioned. On the other hand, price fixing is illegal and annoying.
I agree about pricing your things in such a way that it mirrors value and
hard work. However, I don't agree with a huge group governing that, or
trying to control things.

I don't agree with the organization, the "rules", etc. But I wholeheartedly
support the feeling that undercutting is noxious and harmful to beaders and
beadmakers everywhere.
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old February 11th 04, 11:18 PM
AmazeR

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 19:07:17 +0000, Dr. Sooz wrote:

I don't agree with the organization, the "rules", etc. But I wholeheartedly
support the feeling that undercutting is noxious and harmful to beaders and
beadmakers everywhere.
~~
Sooz

Ahh, you said it so beautifully Sooz...

Sometimes I don't articulate well at all!! This is only what I have been
trying to say.. LOL

Mavis